Waning Crescent

What Happened to Summer?!

Summer has a little more than a month left to go before autumn starts (September 23). School is starting back up and, for many, schedules get busier. How do you feel about the end of summer? Do you look forward to the kids getting back into a routine and heading back to school? Or do you like having them home and having life a bit more relaxed?

For me, August is a busy time of year. Each new year’s edition of the Farmers’ Almanac gets released the last week of August, which means all kinds of preparations need to be done to celebrate yet one more edition being completed. It also means that August is a busy month, so sometimes I wish there was just one more month of summer between July and August.

My kids don’t go back to school until after Labor Day this year, but I know that some students go back in August. I enjoy summer, its pace, and the lack of any hard schedule. Sure I work every day, and the kids have some appointments and lessons, but overall it’s nice to know that there’s no homework, practice, or school related paperwork that needs to be handed in.

Sometimes, especially after a particularly hot summer, I look forward to the cooler temperatures that come during autumn months, but this year I’m not quite ready to say goodbye to summer. Yet an end date to cutting the lawn and keeping the pool clean does sound somewhat inviting… .

How do you feel? If you don’t have kids or your kids are grown, are you looking forward to summer ending? Or doesn’t it really affect too much other than less AC needed and cooler weather? Love to hear your thoughts.

1 Betty Owens { 09.02.11 at 6:46 pm }

Our children are grown and have children of their own! The grandkids say they are not ready to go back to school, but they are ready for a normal routine which means to bed by 10:00 and not up all night! Here in NW Missouri school has already started. We have had many days 100 + with the heat index. The grass was brown and then the good Lord blessed us with about 3 inches of rain! The grass is green and the hubby is mowing again! I love autumn, but know that cold weather is not far behind! The older I get, the more I dread winter. I probably wouldn’t mind except that I have a 20 minute drive to work and with each year I dread driving on snow and ice a little more. I have not missed a day of work due to the weather, but I have driven 35 mph many times! Well, I am not going to think about that anymore for now! I have a 3 day weekend camping trip to enjoy!! God Bless!

2 Jenny { 08.30.11 at 4:12 pm }

Being a Wisconsinite, an end to summer is very sad. While I like the fall and all the activities that come with it, I know winter is close behind and I for one am not a fan of the cold and snow. Kids are going back to school this week and we are definitely not looking forward to the craziness that brings either. I think the kids are handling it better than I am. LOL

3 hilltop9 { 08.29.11 at 6:39 pm }

Living in Texas through another blistering summer has proved an enduance test for us all.
We are currently at 64 days of 100*+ and yesterday hit 110*, so do I really need to answer the question about summer being too short ??
In truth, t his has been a repeat of the 1981 and 1951 heat waves which damaged crops, ravaged wildlife, and made life incredibly difficult if not dangerous, so yes – we are delighted to say adieu! However it will likely remain hot until October, so we can’t get in a hurry here!
It can not end soon enough although I believe the PNW and No Central Plains will have another tough winter due to La Nina.

4 Phyllis { 08.24.11 at 9:17 am }

Summers are way too short in Wisconsin! We’ve only had a couple of decent warm weather months to enjoy for the past few years. I used to enjoy the fall, but now, it just gets way too cold, way too soon. I don’t think “global warming” applies to Wisconsin.

5 Nina { 08.24.11 at 12:01 am }

I live in Chicago and summers are the only time of year when you can truly enjoy the warmth and not worry about bringing sweater with you. When thinking about summer ending I want to scream: NOOOOOO !!!

6 RhondaLynn { 08.21.11 at 2:58 pm }

Autumn into fall is my favorite time of the year. I love the color and the whirlwinds~ the leaves blowing about. I’ve just re-located from Indiana, from a residence I’d lived for a couple of years. There was a graveyard beside the property, so I’d taken a walk through it, and sat to rest upon a bench at the feet of a memorial of Christ Jesus on the cross, and those standing around him, including Mary. Looking down a hill on such a peaceful and wonderful God given fall day, I recall the colors red, orange, and yellow, and even green that set the most beautiful scene… and the vision that is embedded in my memory was a day in which I was most grateful to God.

7 Frutero { 08.18.11 at 4:23 pm }

In Upper Florida, I think of August as Vampire Month: I live by night and pretend I’m dead. The days are shorter, the insolation less, but the pavement, the masonry, the roofs, and the open ground all give back the huge heat stored in late May, June, and July, so it feels like a huge reverberatory furnace. But when that goes, it’s not replenished. A couple of days ago, an afternoon rain came in that went back up from the hot surfaces in great clouds of steam, and it continued like that almost until evening. After that, nights and mornings have been cooler, and afternoons have been truly hot only when the sun is out. I am hoping for an autumn that comes early and lasts long: a long, mild autumn, a short, brisk, steady winter and a prolongued and tender spring are what we endure the infernal summers for!

8 undercover921 { 08.18.11 at 10:30 am }

Same here we are done, kids are also bore just playing video games and now watching tv. I guess to much of it and you get bored.

9 Holli Bettenhausen { 08.17.11 at 8:45 am }

Hello fellow readers, yes, I do enjoy getting the kids back on a schedule. I think they are ready for it too. All our vacations were done and boredem was setting in so it was time to get back to school.
Bring on the cooler temps, the cool, dry, nights when I can open my windows. My pumpkins are already all orange and ready to be picked! I don’t think they will last until Thanksgiving.
Very excited for all the crackling fires(outside in a fire pit) and football parties.