Waning Crescent

The Importance of Picnics

When was the last time you went on a picnic? And no, it doesn’t have to be at a park or beach, but what about outside under your favorite tree, or on a blanket on the back deck or living room floor. Can’t remember? Well maybe it’s time to eat a meal on the ground, picnic style.

When I was young, my mom used to let us have picnic lunches on Saturdays after the Saturday morning cartoons were over. They were simple, and probably consisted of sandwiches and a drink on a blanket in the living room, but I remember them fondly.

It was nothing fancy or special, just different and low key, something that made for a great memory.

Now that the weather is nice an outdoor picnic is on my wish list. I recently moved close to a park so it might be fun to pack a lunch or dinner and take it to the park. Or perhaps I should just layout a sheet, find some shade and enjoy eating a meal outdoors on a blanket.

First I should check out our recipe section, as I know we have some tasty recipes that may make for a great picnic meal.  I think picnics are a great way to remind all of us to slow down and enjoy a little change of venue now and again.

Where’s your favorite place to have a picnic? Do you have a favorite picnic dish? Share your thoughts here.

1 natural nature girl9 { 09.02.13 at 12:21 am }

i will go ride my bike to a park or go to a state park and eat there if it is a state park i will camp or stay there for the day.

2 Rachelle { 08.21.13 at 5:53 pm }

I was on a hike with friends. We went to Eldorado Canyon and
then enjoyed a lunch afterwards..

3 Susan { 10.02.11 at 1:08 pm }

Before we were married, my husband and I enjoyed a picnic every weekend. For solitude, peace and quiet we picnicked on school grounds as there was no one there on weekends. It was very quiet and enjoyable.

4 Chris { 09.01.11 at 11:32 am }

Hmm, my last picnic was July 27th and it was the best one I ever had! Food was great, beverages were cold, but most of all I liked the company! It’s too bad life is not always a picnic!

5 Chris B. { 08.31.11 at 4:07 pm }

July 27th was my last picnic! It was the best picnic I ever had! We had caprese salad and hummus with crackers and enjoyed a nice bottle of white wine. But the best part of the picnic was the company! I couldn’t think of a better person to be with. I hope there might be another picnic just like it someday soon!

6 Frutero { 07.16.11 at 11:41 am }

Read, “easy”; need coffee desperately.

7 Frutero { 07.16.11 at 11:40 am }

There is a simplified version of Russian pirozhki that is easi to take on picnics. You need cooked meatballs, either the frozen precooked ones or the leftovers in your fridge. If frozen, thaw. If left over, rinse. Wrap each in readymade biscuit dough and bake on a cookie sheet according to the instuctions on the bicuit package, but allow to cool in oven. If the picnic is right away, you can pop them in the basket warm; if the next day, refrigerate.