Waxing Crescent

What’s Worse: Snow in March or Rain in July?

Here we are the start of spring and in many areas snow, rain, freezing rain, and hail are in the forecast. Mother Nature does like to remind us from time to time that she–and not the calendar –is in charge of the weather.

While the forecast of snow in March is depressing to some — it begs the question what’s worse — snow now in this transitional month or rain and lots of it in July?!

Most of us long for perfect weather seasons. Of course the definition of “perfect weather” varies with the individual. Many enjoy snow filled winters while others prefer not to see a spec of white precipitation at all. But from my experience working on the Farmers’ Almanac, most of us want a really nice summer.

There’s something depressing about a forecast of a “rainy summer or July.” Even if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, and the winter outlook is for harsh snowy conditions, this winter forecast seems to be  more bearable than a rainy, cool summer season. Is this because summer to many means spending time outdoors — and if it’s rainy and cool that can’t happen?

For me the idea of a harsh winter is OK. Snowstorms give me an opportunity to slow down and enjoy some time off. Harsh winter weather almost gives me an excuse to stay indoors and watch movies, or head outdoors and enjoy some cold weather sports. Yet a rainy, cool July depresses me. By July, I want to be outdoors, heading to the beach, working in the garden, or enjoying a good book in a shady spot.

March is not one of my favorite months, I did get a taste of 70+ degree weather the other day and it was nice. Snow is forecast for me tomorrow… I like snow but am really fine with snow not coming and it being done for the year. Yet if I had to choose one or the other,  I’d choose snow in March and warm, sunny days in July.

What about you? What’s your idea of “perfect season weather?” Does March snow bug you or are you fine with it? Share your thoughts here.

1 USAclimatereporter { 08.09.12 at 11:15 am }

i think rain in july is worse because over the summer most of us take a vacation from school and work and everything but snow in march is not that bad i like snow if it was all year round if that was possible

2 Nick F { 11.21.11 at 11:35 am }

This is buffalo NY. It would be no surprise to have snow in March. I personally love snow. Driving in it is another story.

3 Jaime McLeod { 10.20.11 at 8:38 am }

Jennifer,
You can see our forecasts for May and June in the 2012 Farmers’ Almanac. There’s a store locator on our homepage you can use to find a copy in your area. Or you can order one right from us: store.farmersalmanac.com/staging/farmers-almanac/c-4851.htm

Or instantly download a digital copy for your Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc.: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/digital/

4 Jennifer { 10.19.11 at 7:11 pm }

I live in Vienna WV

5 Jennifer { 10.19.11 at 7:10 pm }

Im planning on getting married in May or June 2012… is there anyway to find out a forcast for those months in advance… or is it too soon to even try?

6 CatMan { 09.14.11 at 4:53 pm }

In Colorado we will take either but if I must pick one my personal preference is rain in July. It can be very hot and dry in July and the rain will help to cool things off. I am sure the skiers would prefer snow in March – April – May and even June snow if they can get it.

7 Anita Walton { 08.24.11 at 9:04 pm }

Snow in March is worse..You are expecting spring and suddenly winter kicks back in.

8 cindy { 04.06.11 at 3:47 pm }

Usually in July the rain is really needed, we in Kansas generally get rain the night of or the day after the fourth, and I’ve often wondered if it has something to do with the loud fireworks (just wonder), and as far as the snow goes I’d welcome it anytime.

9 TheMaineMan { 03.26.11 at 9:59 am }

I think it’s all relative. I don’t like a lot of rain in the summer, but I don’t like drought either. I also don’t like a bare ground in March, but I don’t like 3 feet of snow on the ground in late March either. As far as personal enjoyment, I think the rain in July is worse.

10 bammanmr { 03.22.11 at 8:26 pm }

other than the rare isolated thunderstorm, it doesn’t rain here from mid june until september. i’ll take a ‘wet’ july anytime.

11 Angie Hall { 03.22.11 at 8:18 pm }

I actually like playing in the rain, and would rather have that than the snow, but to each their own. I still go outside even when it is rainy, and dreary like. Rain in general is soothing. The sound on the roof, the patter on the windows. Who says you HAVE to stay in on wet summer days anyway??

12 Marilyn Strout { 03.22.11 at 3:01 pm }

Oh, a March snowstorm is much better than a cold rainy July day….. ‘course of you live in Maine, you might get a nice warm spring breeze, as well as the snowstorm, thunderstorm and some hot muggy all on the same day!

13 Lise { 03.22.11 at 2:51 pm }

Oh so would rather have snow in March! Let it snow now so we can have a wonderful summer!