Waxing Crescent

True of False: Winter seems long this year.

How would you answer this statement — does winter seem long this year? Personally, I like winter. I like snow. I especially like winter when the Farmers’ Almanac accurately predicts the snow we get.  But this year, I’m ready for spring…now!

Here in New Jersey, we got winter early. It started a little before Christmas and came in fast and furious in January. We had at least two storms a week for about 5 weeks. February comes and the storms slowed down. We even had a 63-degree day in February! Of course it snowed three days later.

This morning I had a conversation with a friend of mine who also agreed… this winter seems long. The past few winters came late, at least here in NJ. Last year the snowy weather came in February. This year winter came earlier. Is that why I am ready for spring now? Or is it because of the many grey days we’ve had this winter. I think I can count on my one hand the number of full sunny, blue-sky days we’ve had since the beginning of January.

What do you think? Does winter seem long or no? I know two things are true: I’m really glad I live in a place that experiences a change of seasons and that the official start of spring is now less than a month away!

1 Amanda { 08.03.11 at 12:00 pm }

Here is Corpus Christi, TX it is but merely a tad bit hotter for this summer. I know this is kind of a late posting. But…what I wouldn’t give to trade places with any of you that had posted their comments. I agree with many of you that say Mother Nature cannot make up her mind. Very true. I do have to mention that we, South Texans, do not get a fall or winter. Instead we prefer to call it: Finter, a mix of the two. We get no individual seasons. Summer is the only one that stands completely alone. It’s so annoying. No one can do any work outside as far as yardwork, mechanic work, grocery shopping, etc. Go to the beach for 20 minutes and you are sunburned for good. uggh!

2 Peach14 { 04.20.11 at 7:54 pm }

Here in Northern California the weather can’t make up its mind. Very cold for many days and nights in late March and April, interspered with unseasonally hot days. Seems like Mother Natue can’t make up her mind. One day it is Spring and the next it is Winter again! The fruit bloosoms are completely confused!
I’m just waiting for a REAL SPRING so we can get to the summer vegetable planting without having to worry about soggy soil!

3 Pam { 04.09.11 at 5:07 pm }

Well cant tell here in SE Aurora CO, it has been cold but then wait it warms up , but WAIT, it will snow by Sunday , Yes I am ready for spring !

4 Karen { 04.06.11 at 11:17 am }

Here in Wyoming winter started 11-9-10 and it is still here, no matter what my daffodils say. Got up to drive my school bus this morning and what did find “snow”. We had lots of ice, snow, wind and cold. I am ready for spring.

5 cin { 03.28.11 at 11:26 pm }

i’m in northeastern wisconsin, where a week ago we got hit with 18″ of new snow. our other snow (from the many snowstorms we had this winter, 3 being over 10″ a piece) was just starting to melt before we got slapped with this horrendous blizzard. & it’s been 16-20 degrees below average, & they expect that to continue for another week at least! nothing is melting! it’s been below 10 at night, & high 20′s during the day. sickening!!!!!!

6 Dulcie { 03.28.11 at 5:02 pm }

LONG! Here, just outside of Pittsburgh, PA, it started the week of Thanksgiving. It’s been unrelentingly bitter cold and too much snow/ice. We are still dealing with temps 10-15 degrees below normal. I need it to be warmer soon but I heard the NWS said we would have the coolest, wettest spring on record. :-(

7 June { 03.09.11 at 7:08 am }

Here in Oneonta NY it has also benn a longggggg winter and I am ready for spring. I just hope we do not get a fast spring thaw or heavy rains as the susquehanna river looks high now. Oh and Punxsutawney Phil This is week 5 of winter!!! :)

8 Terry { 03.03.11 at 3:47 pm }

Here in Binghamton, NY, it has been a very long winter. Lots of snow and the cold set in back in November and never rose above freezing till the end of February. Much different from last year. Spring can’t get here soon enough!

9 snowlover { 03.01.11 at 10:19 am }

I must admit two things equally so.
1. I’m still hoping for a big snow storm for this season.
2. If we’re not gonna get it…bring on spring!
I’m tired of the cold without the snow. We were cheated this year. Virginia had lots of cold temperatures in Dec. & Jan, but not much snow at all (at least in the metro Richmond area). It was like we had a dome around us. Folks in the North, East, West, and South of us got some; but not us:( . So yeah, bring on the spring.

10 Frutero { 02.26.11 at 10:23 am }

Our winters are mild, by your standards, yet sometimes the harder to bear because we are ill-equiped to handle them. Early January brought us ambient temperatures that sometimes hit the mid-twenties, but the weather broke in the last week of that month, and peaches and plums broke dormancy. Redbud is almost fully bloomed, and bees are truly busy. Some local sand pears are in bloom, and flowering pears, wild black cherries, and citrus are ready to blossom. They were much more prudent a year ago, and I trust their current eagerness means an early Spring.

11 David { 02.24.11 at 4:38 pm }

LONG and can not wait until Spring :)