Register | Log in

« | »

Persimmon Seed Report from North Carolina: 2010 Edition

Persimmon Seeds - Photo courtesy of Mel Bunker

Persimmon Seeds – Photo courtesy of Melissa Bunker (click photo to enlarge)

Persimmon seeds have long been regarded as telltale indicators of what the winter weather will be like in the area that they’re found. The widely-accepted correlation is that knife-shaped seeds mean “cold and icy”, while spoon-shaped indicate you need to prepare for the white flaky stuff (and we’re not talking about dandruff).

Last September, Johnsonville, North Carolina resident Melissa Bunker reported her findings when she cut open a persimmon to discover an abundance of spoons.

This year, Melissa’s been kind enough to e-mail us again with her most recent persimmon seed discovery. For those keeping score at home, this photo contains 8 spoons and 1 knife.

Have any thoughts of your own on this or weather folklore? Leave a comment below!

For more information on persimmon seeds and weather lore, please click here.

39 Responses

1. I found a persimmon tree near Marmaduke, AR and cut three seeds, all spoons. The fruit was excellent too, by the way.

by Richard Stitz on Oct 30, 2012 at 1:59 pm

2. We live in Brookhaven MS I opened a seed October 1 2012 It had a spoon in it.

by Adam on Oct 3, 2012 at 11:40 am

3. I found only spoons IN THE 12 I CUT OPEN IN AR

by hannah on Nov 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm

4. Can someone please tell me how to cut the seeds? LOL My husband and I cut 3 seeds (before cutting ourselves thankfully! LOL) and all we saw was clearish waxy looking stuff. The only white part is where our knife hit the waxy stuff, LOL My husband says that maybe you have to pick them before they fall, or something else, HELP!!

by ShoafFamily on Sep 24, 2011 at 7:46 pm

5. Spoons in Central Mississippi.

by Ernie on Sep 18, 2011 at 4:50 pm

6. We opened 15 seeds and all were spoons. Hoping for a white Christmas here in Statesville, NC.

by All Spoons Found in Piedmont NC on Dec 21, 2010 at 12:19 am

7. found spoons in blairsville ga.

by jim on Nov 26, 2010 at 8:58 am

8. Eastern Oklahoma, got spoons too!

by byrdluv on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:42 pm

9. Has anyone in the Memphis Tn or North MS area found a persimmon indicator? I live in the city now so it is hard to find a persimmon tree. I lived for a long time in Hernando MS and we checked the persimmons often.

by Kerri Lawrence on Nov 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm

10. in pope county arkansas opened up 5 persimmons and found 5 seeds in 1 persimmon,so i cut open 9 seeds and all were spoons…cant wait to see what happens,this is my second year at this so far the persimmons are batting 100 percent.

by Derek on Nov 12, 2010 at 6:46 pm

11. My grandma and I walked in the woods and found some persimmons. When we got home we cut two of them open and they both had spoons in them. I am excited because I love snow!

by Macey and Catherine on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:43 pm

12. I’m in Rockwall, Texas and every seed I’ve opened has either 1 spoon or on a rare occasion, 2 spoons. Nope, not a forked spoon, 2 totally seperate spoons.
    Does this mean deeper snow ?
    These are the Japanese varieties, so???? But, Oh so delicious!

by Rick on Nov 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm

13. Yep…got the spoons this year also….Reckon Nelson County will see some snow…what a pain when you have livestock to tend….

by Ricky Crask on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:31 am

14. Eastern Virginia, 15 seeds 15 spoons

by JJ on Oct 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm

15. I found a seed with nothin in it what does that mean.?. I will open a few more seeds in days to come. I live in very North Central Arkansas . Can anyone help me ?

by Patsy Gail on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:39 pm

16. Cut open 5 got 4 spoons and one knife.

by sha, newport arkansas on Oct 24, 2010 at 12:09 am

17. My family and I was camping at Alberta Creek at Lake Texhoma on the Oklahoma side and we found several persimmon and cut them open and they prevailed the spoon. My oldest child is in 6th grade and she is ready to go show her class the seed and the story behind the spoon or fork or knife.

by debbie on Oct 23, 2010 at 9:40 pm

18. Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback. Im glad you like the seeds. Now to address a few questions I saw. 1. Yes the fruit has to be local, that is where the reading for that particular area will be. 2. My grandfather taught me this and I have always done it year after year. I was so mad for a few years straight because all I was able to find were forks, which meant mild winters, it wasnt until 09′ that I started finding stuff I needed to contact the FA about. This year however looks like a whopper! I am so glad my hubby is home this year instead of in Iraq/Afghanistan! The girls will be loving the now but not so much the make-up days eating up their summer vacation!

by Melissa Bunker on Oct 18, 2010 at 8:12 am

19. We have a persimmon tree in our neighborhood, I picked up a fruit today and opened 5 seeds. All were spoons. I have opened persimmon seeds in the past, they are very hard to open. A sharp knife with a very thin blade seems to work best. We live in southern Kentucky on the Tennessee border.

by Karen smith on Oct 17, 2010 at 7:54 pm

20. I have opened up around 10 seeds and all of them have had spoons in them. So I guess we will be in for a good winter as well.

by Kim in Lincoln,Arkansas on Oct 17, 2010 at 5:49 pm

21. We open 3 persimmon seeds yesterday and got 3 shovels.
    Sadorus, IL 10/17/2010

by chayes on Oct 17, 2010 at 12:50 pm

22. Well, my husband & I found more persimmons today. I cut 27 and found 25 spoons and 2 were blank. I guess Muscle Shoals, AL will get snow again this year. Also it seams we have a huge number spiders coming inside.

by Gail on Oct 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm

23. I live in East Tn. actually just about 45 miles from Knoxville. I have checked the persimmon seeds twice in the past 2 weeks, and every one that I have cut open has had spoons in them. Also I have been watching the geese, and other birds. They have been taking flight for about 3 weeks now. Also the ants have been traveling in a long straight line, like a small army. lol
    Each and every sign that the Farmers Almanac has mentioned, I have been watching for several wks. and from all that I have seen, we are in for a bad winter. I also counted about 12 or 14 good fogs in Aug. So maybe we need to get the snow shovels ready and I agree– it would be nice to have a white Christmas. It has been a long time for us.

by Betty Collier on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:09 am

24. I read an article on this and thought I’d check it out. I have managed to get one open (they are really tough) it was a spork (spoon shape with two wisps at the top. Does anyone know what that means? I plan to do more just haven’t had time. The one I tried had fallen off the tree but we hadn’t had a frost yet. We have had a couple of frosts this week so I should be able to get more persimmons.

by Reba on Oct 7, 2010 at 11:23 am

25. I did the same test last year here in Oklahoma and I got 9 spoons and 1 knife and we did have a very fluffy white winter season. I have been asked now by several friends to do it again this year. I am just waiting on the persimmons to get ripe now.

by Cherlyn Reeves on Oct 5, 2010 at 2:46 pm

26. I just cut open 3 seeds today, and their all spoons! After a harsh summer, I thought it was going to level out for the winter. I’m from southern Indiana, so looks like we’ll be getting the snow here too.

by casey on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

27. My husband & I only found 1 Persimmon seed today. When we cut it open it was a spoon. Last year we found a spoon and had snow here in Muscle Shoals, AL. We will look for more in the days to come.

by Gail on Oct 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm

28. Melissa you rock. We had a persimmon tree in our yard at my parent’s house. If I had only known then.

by Donna Wright on Oct 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

29. @Fatima30: Agreed. Btw, nice to see you here again. Haven’t seen ya online much since I joined lol. What’s up?

by Weatherfan on Oct 2, 2010 at 4:38 am

30. According to my predictions that’s right. I’m predicting a very cold and snowy winter around anywhere from Virginia to South Carolina for sure! Get ready Mid-At’l/southeast! We may see snow as early as mid-november! P.S. You’ll forgot to put that a fork means a mild winter farmersalmanac staff.

by Fatima30 on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:25 pm

31. Have anyone seen in persimmons in Virginia yet?

by Pam on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:05 pm

32. I enjoyed the article as well as the comments. It would be nice if you all could mention the city/state in which you’r commenting on. Good question about wheather or not the fruit needs to be local. I’m in Richmond, VA and I too was wondering about the upcoming winter. Although I’ve read that we’re to have a cold/snowy/icy December, but Jan, Feb, and March will be mild:( .. Oh well perhaps a white Christmas!

by snowlover on Sep 29, 2010 at 3:25 pm

33. This is good stuff, good informatin dear! Last year you were right on about the snow. I have to say after this hot summer, thought we might have a mild winter.
    Well only time will tell, thanks for the information in this world of high tech it is good to go back to the ways of the land to learn of the changing seasons.

by Debbie LeDock on Sep 29, 2010 at 5:54 am

34. Interesting. She found all those spoons last year, and we ended up with a cold and snowy winter. :) Now it’s looking to be similar to last year but not as extreme. I’ve seen plenty of signs for a decent winter hit here as well. Birds have migrated early it seems because I rarely see any at the park or here at home, it was unusually hot the first week of August, weeds grew out of control for most of this past summer, and the bees have been taking refuge to higher places (Just to name a few examples).

by Weatherfan on Sep 28, 2010 at 6:05 pm

35. In south Florida, where frost is rare and snow a miracle, there was a tradition that an exceptionally heavy mango crop meant hurricanes. I recall this was true in 1965 (Betsy), but had moved to Volusia County before Andrew. Does anyone know if there was a heavy mango set that year?

by Frutero on Sep 28, 2010 at 1:56 pm

36. Mel,

You have to teach me this stuff! I remember my gma doing stuff like this, an your article is really awesome. I need to start teaching my kids stuff like tis…we are doing home-school this year, come down and be a guest speaker :)

by Christa on Sep 28, 2010 at 11:01 am

37. Does this have to be local fruit?

by red16365 on Sep 28, 2010 at 8:49 am

38. I was very much impressed with this article. I`m always willing to learn about how our ancestors “read” the signs to predict the weather & how accurate they were.

by Brenda Pollard on Sep 28, 2010 at 8:43 am

39. Just to be positive I took seeds from different trees. The reading were the same across the board. I’m thinking/hoping we may just see a white Christmas and (not so much hoping for) an icy Valentines.

by firehousechihuahua on Sep 28, 2010 at 7:17 am