Waxing Crescent

Persimmon Seed Report from North Carolina: 2010 Edition

Persimmon Seeds - Photo courtesy of Mel Bunker

Persimmon Seeds – Photo courtesy of Melissa Bunker (click photo to enlarge)

Persimmon seeds have long been regarded as telltale indicators of what the winter weather will be like in the area that they’re found. The widely-accepted correlation is that knife-shaped seeds mean “cold and icy”, while spoon-shaped indicate you need to prepare for the white flaky stuff (and we’re not talking about dandruff).

Last September, Johnsonville, North Carolina resident Melissa Bunker reported her findings when she cut open a persimmon to discover an abundance of spoons.

This year, Melissa’s been kind enough to e-mail us again with her most recent persimmon seed discovery. For those keeping score at home, this photo contains 8 spoons and 1 knife.

Have any thoughts of your own on this or weather folklore? Leave a comment below!

For more information on persimmon seeds and weather lore, please click here.

1 Richard Stitz { 10.30.12 at 1:59 pm }

I found a persimmon tree near Marmaduke, AR and cut three seeds, all spoons. The fruit was excellent too, by the way.

2 Adam { 10.03.12 at 11:40 am }

We live in Brookhaven MS I opened a seed October 1 2012 It had a spoon in it.

3 hannah { 11.16.11 at 9:15 pm }

I found only spoons IN THE 12 I CUT OPEN IN AR

4 ShoafFamily { 09.24.11 at 7:46 pm }

Can someone please tell me how to cut the seeds? LOL My husband and I cut 3 seeds (before cutting ourselves thankfully! LOL) and all we saw was clearish waxy looking stuff. The only white part is where our knife hit the waxy stuff, LOL My husband says that maybe you have to pick them before they fall, or something else, HELP!!

5 Ernie { 09.18.11 at 4:50 pm }

Spoons in Central Mississippi.

6 All Spoons Found in Piedmont NC { 12.21.10 at 12:19 am }

We opened 15 seeds and all were spoons. Hoping for a white Christmas here in Statesville, NC.

7 jim { 11.26.10 at 8:58 am }

found spoons in blairsville ga.

8 byrdluv { 11.18.10 at 9:42 pm }

Eastern Oklahoma, got spoons too!

9 Kerri Lawrence { 11.15.10 at 3:19 pm }

Has anyone in the Memphis Tn or North MS area found a persimmon indicator? I live in the city now so it is hard to find a persimmon tree. I lived for a long time in Hernando MS and we checked the persimmons often.

10 Derek { 11.12.10 at 6:46 pm }

in pope county arkansas opened up 5 persimmons and found 5 seeds in 1 persimmon,so i cut open 9 seeds and all were spoons…cant wait to see what happens,this is my second year at this so far the persimmons are batting 100 percent.

11 Macey and Catherine { 11.08.10 at 6:43 pm }

My grandma and I walked in the woods and found some persimmons. When we got home we cut two of them open and they both had spoons in them. I am excited because I love snow!

12 Rick { 11.07.10 at 5:03 pm }

I’m in Rockwall, Texas and every seed I’ve opened has either 1 spoon or on a rare occasion, 2 spoons. Nope, not a forked spoon, 2 totally seperate spoons.
Does this mean deeper snow ?
These are the Japanese varieties, so???? But, Oh so delicious!

13 Ricky Crask { 11.01.10 at 9:31 am }

Yep…got the spoons this year also….Reckon Nelson County will see some snow…what a pain when you have livestock to tend….

14 JJ { 10.27.10 at 6:44 pm }

Eastern Virginia, 15 seeds 15 spoons

15 Patsy Gail { 10.25.10 at 7:39 pm }

I found a seed with nothin in it what does that mean.?. I will open a few more seeds in days to come. I live in very North Central Arkansas . Can anyone help me ?

16 sha, newport arkansas { 10.24.10 at 12:09 am }

Cut open 5 got 4 spoons and one knife.

17 debbie { 10.23.10 at 9:40 pm }

My family and I was camping at Alberta Creek at Lake Texhoma on the Oklahoma side and we found several persimmon and cut them open and they prevailed the spoon. My oldest child is in 6th grade and she is ready to go show her class the seed and the story behind the spoon or fork or knife.

18 Melissa Bunker { 10.18.10 at 8:12 am }

Thanks so much for the wonderful feedback. Im glad you like the seeds. Now to address a few questions I saw. 1. Yes the fruit has to be local, that is where the reading for that particular area will be. 2. My grandfather taught me this and I have always done it year after year. I was so mad for a few years straight because all I was able to find were forks, which meant mild winters, it wasnt until 09′ that I started finding stuff I needed to contact the FA about. This year however looks like a whopper! I am so glad my hubby is home this year instead of in Iraq/Afghanistan! The girls will be loving the now but not so much the make-up days eating up their summer vacation!

19 Karen smith { 10.17.10 at 7:54 pm }

We have a persimmon tree in our neighborhood, I picked up a fruit today and opened 5 seeds. All were spoons. I have opened persimmon seeds in the past, they are very hard to open. A sharp knife with a very thin blade seems to work best. We live in southern Kentucky on the Tennessee border.

20 Kim in Lincoln,Arkansas { 10.17.10 at 5:49 pm }

I have opened up around 10 seeds and all of them have had spoons in them. So I guess we will be in for a good winter as well.

21 chayes { 10.17.10 at 12:50 pm }

We open 3 persimmon seeds yesterday and got 3 shovels.
Sadorus, IL 10/17/2010

22 Gail { 10.14.10 at 2:22 pm }

Well, my husband & I found more persimmons today. I cut 27 and found 25 spoons and 2 were blank. I guess Muscle Shoals, AL will get snow again this year. Also it seams we have a huge number spiders coming inside.

23 Betty Collier { 10.14.10 at 10:09 am }

I live in East Tn. actually just about 45 miles from Knoxville. I have checked the persimmon seeds twice in the past 2 weeks, and every one that I have cut open has had spoons in them. Also I have been watching the geese, and other birds. They have been taking flight for about 3 weeks now. Also the ants have been traveling in a long straight line, like a small army. lol
Each and every sign that the Farmers Almanac has mentioned, I have been watching for several wks. and from all that I have seen, we are in for a bad winter. I also counted about 12 or 14 good fogs in Aug. So maybe we need to get the snow shovels ready and I agree– it would be nice to have a white Christmas. It has been a long time for us.

24 Reba { 10.07.10 at 11:23 am }

I read an article on this and thought I’d check it out. I have managed to get one open (they are really tough) it was a spork (spoon shape with two wisps at the top. Does anyone know what that means? I plan to do more just haven’t had time. The one I tried had fallen off the tree but we hadn’t had a frost yet. We have had a couple of frosts this week so I should be able to get more persimmons.

25 Cherlyn Reeves { 10.05.10 at 2:46 pm }

I did the same test last year here in Oklahoma and I got 9 spoons and 1 knife and we did have a very fluffy white winter season. I have been asked now by several friends to do it again this year. I am just waiting on the persimmons to get ripe now.

26 casey { 10.04.10 at 2:29 pm }

I just cut open 3 seeds today, and their all spoons! After a harsh summer, I thought it was going to level out for the winter. I’m from southern Indiana, so looks like we’ll be getting the snow here too.

27 Gail { 10.03.10 at 7:38 pm }

My husband & I only found 1 Persimmon seed today. When we cut it open it was a spoon. Last year we found a spoon and had snow here in Muscle Shoals, AL. We will look for more in the days to come.

28 Donna Wright { 10.02.10 at 11:24 am }

Melissa you rock. We had a persimmon tree in our yard at my parent’s house. If I had only known then.

29 Weatherfan { 10.02.10 at 4:38 am }

@Fatima30: Agreed. Btw, nice to see you here again. Haven’t seen ya online much since I joined lol. What’s up?

30 Fatima30 { 09.29.10 at 5:25 pm }

According to my predictions that’s right. I’m predicting a very cold and snowy winter around anywhere from Virginia to South Carolina for sure! Get ready Mid-At’l/southeast! We may see snow as early as mid-november! P.S. You’ll forgot to put that a fork means a mild winter farmersalmanac staff.

31 Pam { 09.29.10 at 4:05 pm }

Have anyone seen in persimmons in Virginia yet?

32 snowlover { 09.29.10 at 3:25 pm }

I enjoyed the article as well as the comments. It would be nice if you all could mention the city/state in which you’r commenting on. Good question about wheather or not the fruit needs to be local. I’m in Richmond, VA and I too was wondering about the upcoming winter. Although I’ve read that we’re to have a cold/snowy/icy December, but Jan, Feb, and March will be mild:( .. Oh well perhaps a white Christmas!

33 Debbie LeDock { 09.29.10 at 5:54 am }

This is good stuff, good informatin dear! Last year you were right on about the snow. I have to say after this hot summer, thought we might have a mild winter.
Well only time will tell, thanks for the information in this world of high tech it is good to go back to the ways of the land to learn of the changing seasons.

34 Weatherfan { 09.28.10 at 6:05 pm }

Interesting. She found all those spoons last year, and we ended up with a cold and snowy winter. :) Now it’s looking to be similar to last year but not as extreme. I’ve seen plenty of signs for a decent winter hit here as well. Birds have migrated early it seems because I rarely see any at the park or here at home, it was unusually hot the first week of August, weeds grew out of control for most of this past summer, and the bees have been taking refuge to higher places (Just to name a few examples).

35 Frutero { 09.28.10 at 1:56 pm }

In south Florida, where frost is rare and snow a miracle, there was a tradition that an exceptionally heavy mango crop meant hurricanes. I recall this was true in 1965 (Betsy), but had moved to Volusia County before Andrew. Does anyone know if there was a heavy mango set that year?

36 Christa { 09.28.10 at 11:01 am }

Mel,

You have to teach me this stuff! I remember my gma doing stuff like this, an your article is really awesome. I need to start teaching my kids stuff like tis…we are doing home-school this year, come down and be a guest speaker :)

37 red16365 { 09.28.10 at 8:49 am }

Does this have to be local fruit?

38 Brenda Pollard { 09.28.10 at 8:43 am }

I was very much impressed with this article. I`m always willing to learn about how our ancestors “read” the signs to predict the weather & how accurate they were.

39 firehousechihuahua { 09.28.10 at 7:17 am }

Just to be positive I took seeds from different trees. The reading were the same across the board. I’m thinking/hoping we may just see a white Christmas and (not so much hoping for) an icy Valentines.