Waning Crescent

Do the Squirrels Know Something We Don’t?

It is hot. It is humid. With this ongoing heat wave around the country, I don’t think anyone is seriously thinking about winter, except maybe the squirrels in my neighborhood.

One of the many traditionally cited signs of a hard winter is an unusual abundance of acorns. It’s also said that squirrels will start gathering these nuts earlier than usual to fortify themselves against a hard winter. Last week, I noticed “a ton” of acorns on my driveway and back deck. I cleaned it all up just in time to spend four days in Phoenix on business. (Talk about hot!)

Last night, I slept with my bedroom window open and, at around 6 a.m., I could hear a squirrel going crazy shaking the acorns out of the oak tree outside my window. And I don’t mean just a few, either. The nuts hitting the deck were cacophonous, and there were so many I couldn’t see the wooden deck beneath them!

So, now I’m wondering; is this is just a case of one crazy, overly-greedy squirrel with an outdated calendar? Does this guy know something we don’t? Or is he just afraid of the cost of food and fuel next winter? The 2011 Farmers’ Almanac will be released a month from now with our predictions of what to expect during the coming winter. You can pre-order your copy right here.

In the meantime, if you have an oak tree, drop us a comment below and let me know whether the acorns are dropping in huge numbers, or the squirrels are being overly active. I’d like to know if I’m the only one.

1 Bevy { 09.10.14 at 10:17 am }

I live in northeast Georgia. Last year we had dozens of squirrels in our trees. It was so much fun watching them chase each other and gather acorns, then bury the acorns for winter. This year we have seen only one squirrel. What has happened to all of them? My neighbor said she saw one and it looked like it had tumors on it. Is there some disease spreading among them? I hope not. Hope we have more next spring.

2 Susan Higgins { 08.05.14 at 9:54 am }

The 2015 edition comes out August 25th!

3 Kim { 08.05.14 at 8:25 am }

The gray squirrels in my yard in Central NC are ripping off the acorns which don’t seem to be mature as it is end of July first part of August. Some are large some aren’t and it seems they bite into them. They spend all day doing this. They don’t gather them as the ground is covered. I am not touching anything, just watching and observing. It’s like crazy as you can’t go under the trees while they work or you’ll be hit with flying acorns. The tree are huge and there are a lot of acorns. I do not remember them doing this activity last year.

4 Dawn Weston { 08.03.14 at 3:00 pm }

The Squirrels are chewing off the pine tree braches and I mean a lot. They take off the pine cones. We clean them up and the next morning they all on the ground again.. I live on Long Island NY and wondering if its going to be a bad winter??

5 Gale Lucas { 07.22.14 at 12:36 pm }

Well leave it to the trusty Almanac :); I just posted a similar question to FB. I have lived here for 30+ years and have never seen the shavings from pine cones like carpet in my back yard. The squirrels are in a frenzy eating the nuts from them. I know this means something significant and I suppose it means a hard winter to come. Must get more firewood :).

6 Kriss { 01.14.14 at 5:22 pm }

I like the way the Farmer’s Alamanac is so aware of natural cycles. I have found that to be the healthiest way for me to live as well. I am wondering about when squirrels tear apart their winter nests. Last year it made sense as I started finding bits of the nests on the ground in early March. This year I am finding them scattered about in mid-January. Does this mean an early spring for the Pacific Northwest or is it just winter cleaning to build a new nest for future storms?

7 Sandy { 10.17.13 at 2:36 pm }

We live south of Tampa. We have three oak trees. The acorns are everywhere! We are sweeping patios and sidewalks constantly. The squirrels aren’t as abundant as the blue jays. They knock down acorns as well as branches. (The blue jays must have won the wrestling match with the squirrels) There are hundreds of them. What a mess.

8 Troy { 10.05.13 at 4:29 pm }

I live in Grand Prairie/Dallas TX.
The squirrels eat green pecans every year, but this year they have eaten all the pecans from all the trees. We wont get any ripe ones this year. They were all gone by the last of September.
Do you think that means a hard winter?

9 brenda newton { 09.25.13 at 10:02 am }

I live in North Georgia and I have never seen so many squirrels.They are always running across the roads and there are more dead squirrels than any other animal on the road this year. It seems really strange to me that the squirrels are so small and seem to be more active.
I am wondering if this is going to be a mild winter. The acorns are really small this year and very few are falling.

10 Tg { 09.01.13 at 11:30 pm }

I want to know what happened to all the squirrel this yr? They all of a sudden are gone! Tons of acorns are falling, and suddenly no squirels…does this mean something!? It’s creepy that they all disappeared!

11 mckayla { 03.25.13 at 2:34 am }

I live in northwest Georgia and, there are tons of robins out right now.. I am not from here, my husband says it is strange.. That they shouldn’t be here yet.. What do you think.?

12 Cathy { 03.12.13 at 12:15 pm }

I live in the Sandilands Forestry in Manitoba Canada. My bird feeder broke so I put out a pan on the ground and put sunflower seeds in it. All of a sudden our resident squirrel started covering the seeds with pine cones. I’d move the seeds – he’d find them and cover them. TWO DAYS after he started this, we had our first snowfall. Like your squirrel, it was massive amounts of cones. This was also the winter of 2011. I quit trying to stop him. I was so amazed at how he went at it. He’d pick up one cone at the far end of the yard, run to his pile and play around until he got it in just the right place. In spring clean-up I half-filled SIX of the orange garbage bags (by weight, that was all I could carry). And that was one little squirrel ! Our little brown squirrels are very territorial. We never have more than one around. If another dares to come, the chase is on. My pine cone hauler wasn’t here for the 2012 winter. This year’s is much smaller and didn’t haul any cones. I hope he just moved on to another residence.

13 Cyndye { 12.14.12 at 9:30 am }

I live out in the country in Illinois and I have never seen so many squirrels in our yard before, I thought the amount of leaves and acorns dropped from the oak trees we are surrounded by was amazing but the squirrel population has exploded this year.

14 Lesa { 11.11.12 at 2:04 pm }

We have seen tons more in our driveway than any other year to our memory. Can’t keep our drive clear if them. We live in SC

15 cliff myres { 11.10.12 at 1:26 pm }

live in southeast texas. have 2 large live oak trees in front yard. I have never had this many acorns on the ground. I have raked and bagged approx 500 pounds and they are still falling. any idea what I can do with the bagged acorns other than local dump?

16 VICKI BRYANT { 11.04.12 at 9:02 am }

WE LIVE IN SOUTHEAST TEXAS SINCE 2001, THIS IS THE FIRST FALL WE HAVE EVER SEEN SUCH AN EXTREME AMOUNT OF ACORNS, DEER LOVE THEM AND I SURE HOGS DO TO, SQUIRREL MUST BE FULL, NOT SEEING THEM LIKE OTHER PAST YEARS. MY QUESTIONS IS, DOES THIS MEAN A LONG COLD WINTER. ALTHOUGH IT WOULD BE NICE, MOST PLACES BY NOW HAVE COLD WEATHER, OR DOES THIS MEAN A RAINY AND SOMEWHAT COLD WINTER. I KNOW WHERE I USED TO LIVE, YOU COULD READ THE MESQUITE BY THE ABUDANCE OF BEAN ON THE BUSH. WHEN WINTER WAS OVER YOU COULD READ THE MESQUITE, THE BEAN IT PUT OUT, WOULD GROW AND YOU WOULD KNOW THERE IS NO MORE WINTER. DO ACORNS TELL SOMETHING OF THE SAME, WITH WHERE YOU LIVE? CAN’T WAIT TO HEAR THE ANSWER…..

17 Delores { 11.01.12 at 4:41 pm }

l live in southwest Georgia and have a number of very old oak trees in my yard. I have never seen as many acorns as we have this year, If the number of acorns is a sign of a cold winter, we are in for a doozy. I also have an over abundance if squirrels. However, my squirrels don’t pay a bit of attention to the acorns. They would rather eat the buds off my hibiscus and rose of sharon plants and ;my confederate rose and magnolia trees. They have even started cutting the blooms off my mexican petunia plants. Anyone out there know how to get rid of squirrels?

18 Dixie { 10.26.12 at 3:33 pm }

We live in the “Deep South” and as far back as we can remember, there have never been as many acorns as we have now, in the the Fall of 2012…. We have quite a few huge oak trees on our property and it’s like walking on marbles when we go outside…. The roof is constantly being bombarded with acorns day & night & this has been going on now for at least the past 2 months..You almost need to be wearing a hard hat when going outside…..Either we are in for a really bad winter or we’re going to be seeing an increase in squirrel obesity….. We’ll just have to wait & see….

19 teresa { 10.24.12 at 10:46 pm }

edmond oklahoma. just realized today that we have no acorns this year! the last 2-3 years have been overly abundant!

20 SR Steagall { 10.24.12 at 7:40 pm }

I live in Texas about 2 hours from the Gulf. We have an overwhelming number of acorns on all our oak trees. In the 9 years we’ve been in our home I’ve never seen this many. They are not giant acorns but they are small to medium, dark in color and they are everywhere. The two oaks by our driveway drop so many we can hardly see the grass, our driveway gets covered and I can hear them bouncing off the hood or top of the car when I go to bed and when I get up. We can’t keep the side walk clear. Somedays I look in awe at the trees and think this amount of acorns is an amazing site to see. Other days I am fussing because you can’t walk down the driveway or sidewalk without shoes because it’s like walking through a mine field. The backyard oak is dropping just as many as those in the front. Hope it is a sign of a hard winter. Would love to have a winter season and not an 80 degree Christmas.

21 John A Connor { 10.18.12 at 3:30 pm }

I have 5 big oak trees, this year there are more acorns then I have seen here in 27 years

There are some people coming around and raking them up not sure what they use them for. I would gather some my self but what would I do with them

Crawford co pa 16354

22 kyle { 10.17.12 at 10:57 am }

Here in central fl the oaks are loaded with acorns as soon as we sweep our drive way clear the next day the acorns are back. I check on the weather channel web page and they are showing the jet streams to be different this year and predicting it much colder for the south will see.

23 Trudee { 10.05.12 at 9:02 pm }

I live on the south shore of Long Island in an area that the Town considers a park. This summer we had red and silver fox which I have not seen in many, many years. I noticed the osprey moved on months ago. The squirrels disappeared, along with the tiny birds about a month ago but seem to have returned within the last few days. The squirrels are leaving some kind of pieces of a dark, moist, round edible thing on my front stoop and all over my driveway. Whatever it is it stains the concrete. What is this edible round thing they keep bringing back to me and leaving pieces of? They almost appear to be pieces of a dark brown handball. Also, parts of my lawn have holes that look like the squirrels buried something and then removed what they buried. Is this normal? For the last few days, the dirt has been disturbed in the planter on my stoop, also. Today it was much warmer than the last two weeks and I saw the racoons, all types of birds (except the osprey), many squirrels, many butterflies/moths and one wooly bear making time across my front lawn. I have not seen the fox.

24 Pamela { 09.27.12 at 12:42 pm }

I too live in Pensacola FL and have noticed TONS of acorns this yr. AND MANY MANY squirrels they are falling from the trees poor things , I keep taking them down to the wildlife sanctuary. But ya I was wondering the same. ? How often does this happen and does it have anything to do with winters. We have had an over abundance of rain here this summer. I mean it rain ALL summer just about. UGGGG. Half my yard is dead of grass because its all moldy, mushrooms are replacing my grass. Yucky

25 Vicky { 09.26.12 at 8:38 pm }

Dear Mr Geiger, I live in Manorville, on Long Island, New York. For twenty years we could roll down the driveway or accross the lawn on the thousands of acorns. This is the second autumn we have NO acorns on or falling from our oak trees. During the summer of 2011 we had three litters of squirrels. They ate through wood and metal to get to birdseed. This summer, I have only seen one adult squirrel walking around, digging holes in my lawn.
I am concerned for the oaks, and squirrels and deer. Is there anything that can help bring the acorns back.

26 Denise { 09.25.12 at 6:46 pm }

Here in Louisville, Ky, acorns have been falling off of my two oak trees in the back yard like crazy for about 3 weeks now. In the past couple of weeks, I have seen as many as 8 squirrels at a time trying to gather them all up. Last year it was nothing like this, does this mean a really bad winter?

27 Lezlie Whaley { 09.24.12 at 10:31 am }

We live in Northern Ohio about two miles from Lake Erie. There are an unusally large amount of acrons falling from our oaks. So many that the squirrels can’t seem to keep up with them, and it DOES sound like we are under attack when there is a strong wind.

28 Swede { 09.21.12 at 9:38 am }

I live in the country in southern R.I., have lived for almost 40 years. The pine trees have lots of pinecones this year the squirreels are gathering them like crazy hundreds of them.
I have never seen them do this before
We are awaken every morning with dropping them on the ground.

29 Jim C { 09.18.12 at 12:03 pm }

Central Florida here.
We have three very large oaks between front and back yards and the acorns this year are very early, although not heavy thus far. I was checking in to see if that was an oracle of a heavy winter or just coincidence.

30 tech87 { 09.16.12 at 10:59 pm }

We came from NorthEastern in Late May-Early June to Southwest Gulf Area. I do remember of Winter 2009/2010 I had off for few days from Work in Northern Eastern. Now this Winter 2012/2013 not to worry about Snow in Southwest Gulf ;-) Only Cold, Frost my first winter down here in Southwest Gulf, FL.

31 Val Walker { 09.12.12 at 5:37 pm }

Tons of acorns!! Can’t keep them swept off the patio for long. Live in Cedar Park, Tx which is located in the central part of the state.

32 Elliot Halberg { 09.11.12 at 4:03 pm }

I’ve 3 Oak trees on the front of my lot and 1 in the backyard. It sounds at night like machine gun fire with the acorns dropping on the roof or my wife’s poor van in the drive. The acorns are much darker in color and I’ve not seen this amount in I don’t remember when.

33 Susie { 09.10.12 at 1:19 pm }

We are in Eagle River, Wisconsin and the acorns have been falling so profusely it is dangerous walking in our yard. the other night we had a rainstorm and wind – the acorns fell so hard and so numerous that we thought it was actually HAILING outside and this continued for several minutes. No hail, just acorns falling. We have had deer constantly in our yard chomping on the acorns – they are really fattening themselves up. the squirrels around us are going nuts as well, so to speak. Running back and forth and gathering, definitely not sitting and eating. I think here in Eagle River Wisconsin we are in for a long, cold, harsh winter – the silver lining? great for snowmobiling!!!

34 Noel { 09.07.12 at 3:45 am }

I live in London, England. The oak tree in my garden had a bumper crop of acorns in Autumn 2011. This year – not a one!

35 Mary B { 08.29.12 at 5:50 pm }

Seems that the acrons are dropping early this year for some reason. And like you, there are tons already!! Green ones not the brown ones that have dropped in years past. Is this some kind of sign???

36 Anne McDonald { 08.27.12 at 9:34 am }

I looked up this article because this year there seems to be very few acrons dropping or being shaken from our oak trees here in Long Island, NY. Last year we were inundated, pelted and beaned with bushels of acorns. We wondered if it was some sort of winter weather prediciton. Last winter was so miled yet tons of acorns fell the previous fall.

37 Angela { 08.21.12 at 11:50 am }

I have lived in Western North Carolina for 10 years and always had a large population of squirrels around my property and around the neighborhood. Since the beginning of August all of sudden the squirrels disappeared. Totally gone!! I enjoy watching them and feed them corn and seeds. Where have they gone?

38 patricia { 08.19.12 at 10:20 am }

I think all the squirrels have come to my house. I’m in London, Ontario and I am collecting bushels of acorns everyday, I can hear the squirrels running on my roof and leaping to the tree and then smash comes down the acorns, maybe I should keep some and roast them, lol

39 CS { 08.18.12 at 7:12 pm }

Here in western New Jersey it’s the acorns AND the pine cones that are pelting the house. Then the chipmunks and squirrels leave the stripped pine cones all over the porch. I’m wondering if they are gathering the pine cone pieces to hoard for winter just as they do the acorns. If that’s the case, then it looks like it’s going to be one heck of a winter!

40 Cathi { 08.14.12 at 3:38 pm }

Don’t ever remember this sound…acorns banging and bouncing off the metal roof and wood deck in huge numbers in August in southern Vermont. Not too much activity of squirrels or chipmunks. Wish they’d collect the acorns before our 1-year-old puppy scarfs them up.

41 Linda B { 08.09.12 at 8:07 pm }

We live in Minneapolis and there have already been a gazillion acorns dropping from our oak tree in the back yard. Ish! Does this mean an early winter? A hard colder winter? More snow? (Please?) Thank you!

42 Inez { 08.09.12 at 9:40 am }

I live in southern CT, and we’ve been inundated with acorns (whole ones and shells), since June. All we do is sweep off our deck and try not to get clobbered. The same thing happened two years ago, and we had a horrible winter. Last summer – no acorns – thus a mild winter. Oh boy!

43 nicelady { 08.07.12 at 11:08 pm }

Northern California here…I, too have noticed the acorns starting to fall just under a week ago. Also, they are smaller than they have been in previous years.

44 Mal Gregoire { 08.06.12 at 5:04 pm }

It is August 6th and I have swept the off 3 times already today. I have one large Oak in the back yard about 100ft tall. and I doubt it is squirrels going that high for these jewels. Some are small and others are large. Does this mean an early and snowy winter? Should I go to Florida and wait for the spring thaw?

45 Kathy { 08.06.12 at 1:22 pm }

signing in from Omaha, Ne…..the acorns falling are at least triple the amount that fell last year….we had a very mild and short winter….perhaps Mother Nature is letting us know this winter may be long and hard? It will be interesting to see if that is so…..the squirrels seem to be the same # as usual this year….rabbits and other animals as well….lots of birds!! I’ve stopped feeding them because they were almost becoming a nuisance!! It seems like the acorns are falling MUCH earlier this year too….not sure what that means except everything has been about a month early….so, perhaps the trees are dropping the acorns early due to that?? Something is happening…that’s for sure!!

46 Alan { 07.30.12 at 7:44 am }

I live in lower ny and the squirrels here are just crazy for food hear they have destroyed two bird feeders so far and the squirrel proof feeder they are at also they have never been this bad so it does seem like they know something is coming.

47 laureen { 07.29.12 at 7:24 pm }

It is July. I have an abundance of acorns all over the yard. I have never seen so many. I haven’t seen very many squirrels. I don’t know what is going on. I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.

48 April Adams { 07.23.12 at 9:27 am }

Hi, I live in Windsor, Ontario Canada. We are having an exceptional hot summer. Today will be 97! I have noticed about 2 weeks ago I had many blue jays and cardinals around the house (very unusual for cardinals) and the acorns are already dropping…they drop in my pool so I know this is earlier than usual! I have also keys dropping from my maple tree.

I think we are going to have an early and hard winter??? Last winter was very mild, very little snow for us Canadians!

So I guess we better enjoy the warm/hot weather while we can! I do believe the animals and plant life know best. I will let you know how our winter goes!

49 lesa { 05.08.12 at 8:16 am }

I live in NW Arkansas. I have land in the Mountains near Buffalo river. We have noticed that we do not have many squirrels or raccoons or rabbits etc. In fact all we do see is birds. Can anyone explain to me why this would happen?

50 kaaren { 05.04.12 at 10:49 pm }

hello everyone
I live in southeastern ok. last year 2011 we had squirrels and other wildlife in abundance. this year our woods are very quiet. it is rather WEIRD!!!!. not that many birds either. i have managed to see 2 red squirrels that are small and their bushy tails look thin. i dont know whats going on . oh our place is 10 miles from the nearest town and near a lake. We also have a creek running in the back of the property. still no squirrels, possums, racoons have not even smelled a skunk. i have been raised in the country and know to watch the critters for changes happening or coming. SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG OUT THERE. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS… very curios to hear your comments

51 Sara { 04.15.12 at 11:27 am }

Well, we don’t have acorn trees where I live, but our pine trees have been packed with pine cones since fall. Way more packed than I remember seeing them in a long, long time. Some trees are so overloaded, it looks like the tops of the trees are going to start bending over. The snow we have gotten this winter was much, much, much more than the weather forecasters predicted. They told us to expect a warm, dry winter with very little precipitation. We ended up getting a significant amount more snow than our yearly average. And it’s still snowing in April!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We got six inches of snow last night, and at least six more predicted for today and tonight!

52 Stephanie { 02.18.12 at 2:41 am }

It is Feb in Middleburg Fl, & we have had about 6 days total of freezing weather. Not an unusually cold winter here, in fact I remember it being a lot colder last year! What is up with these acorns? I think the trees and animals know something we don’t… things don’t just happen for no reason.

53 donna { 12.28.11 at 8:42 am }

Last year we had wheelbarrows full of acorns (I’m in Ct). This year not one fel. Not a lot of chipmunks or squirrels this year either.

54 Christopher Rigling { 12.15.11 at 2:39 pm }

We have an oak ,diameter ~7feet, and we had an overabundance of acorns last fall. This year we haven’t seen nary a one… is this common? Do they skip years or is this an indicator of indifferent weather patterns ?

55 Rose { 11.27.11 at 7:52 pm }

Me oh my…..here in Houston, Tx…. we have gotten so many ACORNS each day…for the past month of so…. on the driveway and sidewalk, that my husband sweeps them up every morning, only to find there are as many OR MORE there by that evening.
We have not seen any squirrels shaking the tree..there are so many on the ground they would not have to bother to do that. I have images on my blog showing some of the mess it makes.
Last year had the same situation….and we a DID have a long “hard winter” for this part of the country. Looks like it might be the same this year again.

56 Jennifer { 11.26.11 at 8:17 pm }

I live in Pensacola Florida and have never seen so many acorns! The sound of them hitting my metal shed sounds like gunfire!!!! All of our squirrels are busy with them.

57 Martha { 11.23.11 at 4:31 pm }

I have lived in my neighborhood for 14 years. There are two huge oaks on each side of my home. This is the first year I’ve experienced the enormous amount of acorns. I’m 64 years old and I’ve seen a difference in the change in weather and the seasons. Of course the trees will experience those changes also. So will the whole world.

58 Nature Girl { 11.21.11 at 5:04 am }

Small farm in northeast Indiana: Hardly an acorn to be seen on the ground this year. Last year, our property had a HUGE crop of acorns like never seen before. (white and red oaks)

59 tawnya { 11.13.11 at 9:34 pm }

We live in North Texas and we have acorns everywhere and not a single squirrel in site.

60 Jeanne Barnes { 11.10.11 at 4:49 pm }

We live in Kansas City, MO. For the last two years we had an abundance of acorns from our Oak trees. Bags and bags full. This year – NO ACORNS! What’s up with that?

61 Nadia { 11.03.11 at 8:22 am }

I live in the Poconos in PA and I have several oak trees around the yard. Most of the leaves have fallen already and not a single acorn. Last year there were so many it was ridiculous. We’ve already had our first snow storm of about 9″ of snow right before Halloween, which really isn’t that unusual for my area. Looks like I will be feeding the squirrels this winter along with all the other wild animals.

62 Linda { 11.02.11 at 2:13 pm }

I live south of Boston, MA and we have no acorns. Last years we had billions and had tons of snow. I’m hoping this means a mild winter with no snow!

63 Down south { 11.01.11 at 5:50 pm }

Acorns where the topic of conversation at work this week. Everyone has an over abundance of acorns this year. We also were wondering if it ment anything.

64 Kim LaCoco { 10.30.11 at 10:23 am }

So strange, I noticed the posting from the gentleman who lives in Tour 18 in Flower Mound. I too live in Flower Mound (but actually in the town itself). We have fed squirrels, cardinals, jays, doves, etc. for years. We noticed the same thing. Our furry and feathered friends virtually disappeared over night. Our feeder hangs untouched our bird bath unused. Since this occurred shortly after the rains returned to our part of North Texas I was wondering if the re-growth of green shoots and other plants could have enticed the birds and squirrels back into our cross timbers.

65 Tour18 { 10.25.11 at 6:00 pm }

Flower Mound, Texas. Tour 18 Estates. My squirrels disappeared overnight. For 12 years I have fed them one pound coffee can sunflower seeds and shelled peanuts mix every other day. The ones born here will occasionally eat out of my hand (if I lay on the ground). Suddenly no squirrels. I lived hunting until I was 18. I know squirrels. This is WEIRD. I won’t even mention the doves I feed here in a separate but similar fashion.

Something intense has happened over night.

66 Cassidy { 10.24.11 at 3:26 pm }

We live in Charleston SC, and let me tell you, my decks and driveways are loaded with a blanket of acorn shells and pine-cones. I don’t know if that means anything, but, if its any indication of a colder/icier/harsher winter for us in Charleston, I better go buy a snow shovel or de-icing salts. My husband uses our blower at least every other day to remove all the acorns. Its unreal. We have lived here for 5 yrs and this is the first time I have ever seen such an abundance of acorn shells and pine-cones on the ground…Take care y’all.

67 Becky { 10.23.11 at 2:00 pm }

This is the first year that we have not had to pick the black walnuts up off the ground. The squirrels have picked every one up and filled my 2 outside sinks,every plant pot,the roof on top of my sinks and any hanging baskets that I have hanging outside. We have never seen this before therefore I am predicting a cold winter as I think they know something that we don’tI .

68 Deb { 10.19.11 at 9:59 pm }

Over abundance of acorns in NC! I have lived in this house for 18 years and the only other time I can remember this many acorns was the winter we had over 24 inches of snow over night! We don’t typically get harsh winters! But, I think we are in for a COLD one this year! This October seems the biggest harvest, sounds like someone throwing a lot of rocks at my house! Plus my Dogwood trees are full of red berries. Get the blankets out!

69 Stephen { 10.19.11 at 1:29 pm }

Wow! I have the same problem. I predicted an early Autum in early august as it lookedlike the leaves were coming down too early. My wife and I have been sweeping, and blowing them for the past 3 plus weeks. It is like a blizzard of Acorns.Steve

70 Don Moss { 10.19.11 at 11:41 am }

I live in Boiling Springs SC and have three type of oak trees. two pecan and one walnut tree. They are all loaded with nuts – more than I have ever seen. The squirrels are very active in taking them away. There is no way they can carry all the white oak acorns away since the ground is complety covered. I too was wondering if it was a sign of a very cold winter.

71 Don Moss { 10.19.11 at 11:34 am }

Springs SC

72 Arnese { 10.19.11 at 2:23 am }

Atlanta, GA – I have a “rug” of acorns ALL over the deck and driveway! I don’t recall ever having this problem.

73 Jaime McLeod { 10.17.11 at 11:55 am }

Amy,
You can check out our overview for the winter here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2011/08/29/2012-us-winter-forecast/

We generally don’t comment on how accurate various old weather signs are or aren’t, but it sure is fun to talk about them.

74 JP { 10.17.11 at 10:33 am }

Zillions of them this year from my White Oaks in Raleigh,NC — don’t think I have ever seen this many before !

75 Amy Harvey { 10.16.11 at 10:21 pm }

We live in Fort Walton Beach, FL (NW FL, panhandle) and are seeing (and hearing) an OVER abundance of acorns this year – many, many more so than in previous years here. I had always heard that this meant a much colder than normal winter… but, what do YOU guys think it means – if anything?

76 ceile { 10.15.11 at 10:12 pm }

We live in Sandy Springs, GA, too, and have commented daily about the enormous “crop” of acorns this year. Five years ago we had a lot, but not many until this year. I thought we had a burglar one night, and we finally realized we were being pelted by acorns! It gets so loud it sounds like very large hail, and keeps us awake at night.

77 jill pawlo { 10.14.11 at 5:46 pm }

I found this website on my quest to discover why I have so many tulip tree nuts this year. Our back year is covered with them. We also have a few oak trees with acorns and there is an unusual amount of them also. We already had a bad winter last year here in CT., and I was hoping for some reprieve. Looks like we might be in for another bad winter.

78 Sherri { 10.14.11 at 5:05 pm }

I, too, have been somewhat amazed at the number of acorns falling off our trees, here in the woods of north-central Alabama. They are falling off in unusually large numbers. We joke about how it seems there’s an army of squirrels up there, in full attack mode! I’m trying to find out if it really means anything or not.

79 Sarah { 10.14.11 at 1:14 pm }

I live in Ohio and we have many burr oak trees that yeild tons of acorns. We have lived here for 5 year and you can break ankle on how many acorns fill the yard. However, this year we haven’t seen many at all. Come to think of it earlier this September I watched a squirrel bury nuts in early sept. thinking wow they seem very early this year.

When sitting in the yard a few weeks ago. I was studying a squirrel very intently. It was only a about 4 feet from me so I sat very still in the wooded yard. It knew I was there stopping and staring every few feet. I watch for about 15 min. after burying about 3 nuts it stopped looked right at me climbed the tree waving its tail to get my attention and then it started chirping and scratching the wood. It made me so nervous, it was warning me to go away.

I left but all I could think of is how mad the squirrel was that I was watching him and all I could think was why is he irritated? I can’t even image how he will even know where those nuts are come winter.

80 Diane { 10.12.11 at 9:16 pm }

I was looking online for information wondering what the abundance of acorns mean.
Here in N FL it sounds like rocks hitting the tin roof on the barn–but like it is raining them!
They are everywhere more than I can ever remember! It would be great to have a nice cold winter here in Florida.

81 vito { 10.12.11 at 6:21 pm }

I’m hoping this is a sign from mother nature, but this is the first year I can remember not having to rake acorns. Not one under foot today when I mowed my lawn here in Maine.

82 Patricia { 10.12.11 at 12:37 pm }

I live in Southwest Missouri. We have lived in the same house for 16 years and have never had such a massive supply of acorns. We can’t sleep at night for the acorns dropping. We have a 2 year old dog part wolf/husky, she is eating them. What does she know that we don’t?

83 Schnopi { 10.11.11 at 12:36 am }

Here in NJ these god awful squirrels enjoy dropping acorns on my brand new grill, or bouncing them into my house. Why wont they stop…?

84 Bobby { 10.10.11 at 1:03 pm }

Oct. 10, 2011 Atlanta, GA (Sandy Springs Area) I too have noticed a ton of acorns dropping from trees on our roof sounding like heavy rain. This is so unusual. I havent seen in it in the five years we have been here. We normally dont get heavy winters, although last year we saw snow for two weeks and the city shut down for one week. I am wondering if it is going to be a cold winter especially since we are at a lower sunspot level on the Solar Cycle.

85 Gerry { 10.09.11 at 11:21 pm }

Just mentioned to my wife that it is unusual this year on the acorn scene. At our lake home in Central Minnesota there are virtually no acorns on the ground. Usually when raking there are massive amounts under the trees and this year almost none. Can’t figure it out. I see another Minnesota poster noted the same thing. Temperatures of 80 degrees in October and fewer than normal acorns in Minnesota…go figure….

86 Liz Morell { 09.28.11 at 10:38 am }

Here in Floral Park L.I. New York , the little critters are extremely busy burying tons of acorns.

87 Nicole { 09.25.11 at 1:56 pm }

I live in Mobile, Al where it is always hot and humid! We don’t have cold winters, our last good snow was on a Wed in Dec 1996, that was 1 week prior to Christmas! However, I have noticed many acorns all in my drive way as well as on my deck! I would love for a good cold winter and let me add, with lots and lots of snow!!!! Doubtful but one can sure hope!

88 meghan { 09.20.11 at 7:09 pm }

i live in central florida (cocoa beach area) and i have noticed the squirrels activity this year as well…hope all will be well

89 jay { 09.20.11 at 12:33 pm }

Something really strange is going on with the squirrels(or i haven’t seen it happen before). We moved to a house here in Tn with pecan trees about 2 years ago ,and the squirrels always are greedy with them but this year they are cracking green pecans and they have covered our driveway 2 or 3 times with the broken shells. Is this normal or a sign of a bad winter?

90 jill { 09.16.11 at 1:13 pm }

We have old, old black walnut trees on 10 acres….which means plenty of squirrels year round. Never before have I noticed them eating the black walnuts in large amounts. This year, they are going crazy for them. It started in August. I’m serious! They are opening them by the bushels. I’m thinking they know something we don’t about the coming winter in Wisconsin. We’ll see in 2012 I guess.

91 Rose { 09.16.11 at 12:14 am }

The acorns are falling like rain, but the pine cones are not….they are just a core and broken bits. I think the animals know more than we do.

92 Sharon { 09.14.11 at 7:08 pm }

We live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Boone NC. It is mid Sept 2011 and we have never seen the squirrels so active. It is not just acorns they are messing with…they are scampering up and down every type of tree. They are making a mess of the large seeds on the dogwood trees.
Yesterday we drove over to Damascus Virginia and the squirrels were very active over there also…
Do you know what the reason is for this?

93 Peggy { 09.10.11 at 4:43 pm }

I have a ton of acorns in my yard this year! I live in Western Pennsylvania. Every day I look out my window, I notice squirrels running feverishly gathering their nuts! I’m thinking we’re in for another brutal winter!

94 Joe S. { 09.10.11 at 11:44 am }

I live in MA near the NH border and have 3 large oak trees on my property. They have been dropping acorns like crazy this year, and the squirrels are out there every day gathering them in. However, many drop on the road in front of my house and get mashed by the traffic, so it is a mess to continually clean up.

But I have a question about the leaves – there are many clusters of otherwise healthy looking leaves dropping from the trees. When I look at them it appears that the small common branch has been cut through and appears very healthy. I suspect the squirrels are doing this as they go for the acorns, but that is just a guess. Does anyone have an explanation for this dropping of green clusters? There are many of them that I just finished raking, and I suspect I will be faced with the same chore next weekend.

95 Megan { 08.28.11 at 8:15 pm }

We have no acorns on one of our oak trees this year. Last year we had the usually load of acorns. The year before we had tons and tons of acorns-followed by a huge snowstorm that winter. But, this year-none. We live in Western Pennsylvania.

96 Jocelyn { 08.26.11 at 10:49 am }

Aug 2011 Northern California. Recent years have given a varrity of acorns falling becoming less and less. This year we have deformed small caps and no acorns. We have approx 100 trees on our property. What will the squirrles and woodpeckers do for the winter.? I am shocked that I only today discovered on line that this is an ongoing problem.This is as important as the the disapearace of the bees.

97 Jocelyn { 08.26.11 at 10:49 am }

98 wisteriao { 08.20.11 at 11:10 am }

I have an abundance of acorns in my yard which used to be filled with squirrels. Now there is only 1. She comes to see me twice a day. I give her a piece of bread which she takes out of my hand. I generally give her one or two pieces and tear the bread up and leave it on my deck railing. It stays only if I stay outside with her. If I go back into my house she leaves without eating the bread. She does not eat the acorns in my yard. There was one black squirrel that would forage in my yard, but that one has also disappeared. I noticed that squirrels are nowhere to be seen in the neighborhood. What would cause the wildlife to disappear? I live in MI.

99 Net { 08.18.11 at 10:32 pm }

Well it’s August 18, 2011, and my deck and backyard are loaded with acorns, This is the third time this week i used the blower to clean them off. Does this mean an early winter, and an over abundance of snow and storms????? The squirrels seem to be going nuts (no pun intended) gathering acorns and the size is huge, they are like torpedo’s raining down on you. Oh, btw I am in NJ…

100 sXwamp { 08.06.11 at 3:30 am }

I’ve just moved to Michigan from MS, and found this site. The acorns woke me up, because so many fell in the morning. Then everyone told me it doesn’t mean anything – well I hope it does because I love skiing !!!!!!!!

101 Deron Bramlet { 07.09.11 at 3:33 pm }

I’m in the “Nature Coast” Homosassa Fl. and ended up here after asking Google
“Wha Happen”? Why acorns now? Why Magnolia about to bloom?Wheres the palm dates?—I’ve seen heavier amounts of acorns as 2 winters ago when the long cold winter but not in summer. Thats why it’s called fall,when leaves and seeds fall.??

102 Terry { 02.22.11 at 12:39 pm }

Strangely enough, we live in Durham, NC and my mother brought it to my attention that the majority of squirrels that we normally see very active in our yards during this time of year are gone. I have also noticed this while running on the trails around here. Where are they? Do they know something we don’t know? And by the way, did they ever find out why thousands of birds have fallen out of the sky and why thousands of fish have surfaced dead on the banks? Just wondering what the heck is going on

103 D { 01.16.11 at 11:16 pm }

all i know is we had tons of acorns and the last storm we had just dumped 20 inches of snow after having had several inches already on the ground…coincidence?

104 Howard { 12.13.10 at 11:22 am }

North Florida-I have NEVER seen so many acorns, they hae covered the driveway, lawn and flower beds. They stain the driveway from driving over them. Now I have a “Race track” going on at night in my attic. Hmmm….I think the squirrels are storing a bumper crop. Yikes!

105 Vicki Hake { 12.03.10 at 10:31 pm }

In the Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, we noticed a strange fact about our many oak trees. This Fall, there were no acorns. Extremely odd.

106 Liz { 11.30.10 at 11:02 am }

We too have an abundance of acorns, my husband goes out sometimes twice a day to sweep them up on the side walk & the three parking spots in front of the house. We run out the front door when they start raining down & hear them coming down all night on the roof. We have at least 3 very active squirrels. We live in central, coastal Fl. & like to froze last year. Not looking forward to this winter, afraid the squirrels know the answer.

107 Shelley { 11.29.10 at 10:53 pm }

Huge amounts of acorns have fallen from our 100 year old oaks within the past two weeks. The squirrels are quite busy. The wind blew pretty hard today and it sounded like a michine gun unloaded on my roof. We have several large oaks on our property in Floral City, FL
The sound doesn’t bother us. Just another song of nature and her sign of a nice cold winter????

Shelley
Florida Native

108 Bob Mc Collam { 11.28.10 at 3:40 pm }

I too am trucked with the amount of acorns that falling this year. I have been trying to keep the driveway clean so that the cars tires won’t crush them. I am happy to hear that I’m not the only one with the problem. After reading alot of the comments from around the country. Still no solution. I thought since we didn’t t have much rainfall this spring and summer that the old oaks are dropping there nuts to reproduce some new baby oaklings (is that a word). If someone has the answer please feel free to email me. I’m not crazy about the long cold winter idea. Please send squirrels we don’t have many and the few that we have are already to fat, dumb but happy. Bob

109 William { 11.28.10 at 1:27 pm }

The acorns have been falling like rain in our neighborhood of Three OAKS( South Ft Myers FL)…………..When you pull into the driveway it sounds like you are driving on a gravel road………..We have lived here for over twenty years and this is the first time these OAKS have showered us with their nuts………..HA
South Ft MYers Fl is considered part of the tropics………….what is the reason so far South…………….

110 Mark { 11.27.10 at 9:59 pm }

I am in St Petersburg, Fl. and my neighbors on both sides have oak trees, and in the past 15 years I have never seen the amount of acorns that have fallen on my yard, my aluminum shed roof and the driveway have been just too many! I mean I have blown the driveway and then a few days later it is full of the acorns again! Without a doubt, this has been the most acorns I have seen and they are all over the streets too as I ride my bike and it sounds like “crunch, crunch and crunch” when I ride. The squirrels do seem to be more abundant also!

111 Judy { 11.22.10 at 12:22 pm }

It’s been hot and dry for a very long time in Vero Beach, FL. Acorns began falling in middle October now the ground is covered with a record number of acorns on the ground. Are we in for a colder than normal winter?

112 Lynn { 11.19.10 at 6:08 pm }

I’m in Central Florida and finally decided to “google” why my oak tree is dropping mass amounts of acorns and this was the first site that Google brought up. This has been going on for 3 weeks straight. My tree has been “barfing” acorns practically non-stop. It does not make too much noise on the tar shingles, but on the aluminum carport, even my neighbors can hear it. I have lived in my house since 1996 and NEVER has my oak tree dropped this many acorns or for this long. It’s usually just 1 or 2 days. The squirrels are all over and they are acting like they are on crack.

113 moe { 11.18.10 at 7:08 pm }

I live here in Kissimmee, FL and have been in the same house for 20 years. I have never seen the amount of acorns dropping from my oaks! I was happy to find this sight and see other’s ideas. I guess it will be another ugly & freeeeez’n winter~~ yuk

114 CJAMES { 11.18.10 at 10:04 am }

Generally acorns seem to fall in late December or early January here in West Florida. They started to fall in mid October; the old grandfather oak in my yard has gone berserk! Generally this oak has acorn crops once every two years; this year it has broken the pattern by shedding two years in a row. Global warming or freezing?

115 Phil { 11.16.10 at 11:07 am }

We also have an incredible abundance of acorns this year, we live in upstate NY. I also have a very large tree that drops its leaves each year in early August, does anyone have any thoughts on what type of tree it is?

116 Rich { 11.15.10 at 10:04 pm }

Wow-Thought we were the only ones seeing so many acorns fall…sounds like a trend. We live in Lake Mary Florida and the squirrels on my roof sound like a bunch of roofers on a caffeine high. Starts about 4am and continues for hours. Our yorkie ( Lucy) is in a contant state of “freak” with all the racket on the roof. Acorns by the millions! — Winter should be interesting this year…can’t wait!

117 Jan { 11.12.10 at 10:23 am }

We have several Oaks in front of our Russellville, Arkansas duplex. In the 10 years we have lived here, this is the most acorns that I have seen and the squirrels have been quite busy. I’m actually hoping we get a nice snowfall this year and not our normal ice.

118 cindy { 11.10.10 at 12:49 pm }

Here in Kansas we’ve had tons of acorns too, and the squirrels have been working endlessly all summer long too stock up, I hope that means a REAL winter for us here.

119 Jr { 11.08.10 at 11:32 pm }

I am going to try composting the acorns. My son gets $5.00 per wheel barrow full. I am broke now. Lol.

Can you compost 10 tons of acorns, or is there too much acid in them?

120 Jr { 11.08.10 at 11:29 pm }

They stopped falling in nj. Well, a lot less then before. I can sleep now.

121 Joycee { 11.06.10 at 5:37 pm }

I have always watched the animals during unusual weather. If you learn their habits you can come pretty close to an accurate prediction. Went to the cemetary to visit my mom and the amount of acorns was unbelievable. I have never seen so many and I live in the midwest, where we have lots anyway.

122 Dottie Burns { 11.03.10 at 4:18 pm }

I live in Southern California and the oak tree in my back yard keeps covering the patio with acorns and they sound like rocks hitting the roof. I have to wear a hard had just to walk in the back yard. The squirrels are also having a field day. The last time it was like this my neighbor said we were in for a cold wet winter and boy was she right.

123 liselenee { 10.30.10 at 4:32 pm }

Oh, please send the squirrels my way. Our small town is widening the road behind my house to 4 lanes, they wiped out all the trees behind my yard. I thought luckily I have two huge oaks and red tip photinas for coverage. About a month ago, my husband and I noticed our whole back yard was covered in acorns. More than we have ever noticed in almost 10 years living in rockwall texas county. What can you do with so many? I thought about mulching them, but will now send to the recycle bin, there are currently 5 full lawn bags, and heavy with acorns. We believe the taking out of the trees behind our house led to our squirrels being relocated and the amount of rain fall we have receieve this year contributed to the abundance. If anyone knows a useful way to take care of acorns please email me.

124 J.K. { 10.29.10 at 6:48 pm }

I don’t know which one I hate more, squirrels or acorns. But we have a huge amount of acorns this year (in central Florida) and the squirrels are extremely active. I swear I’m going to move to a condo or apartment.

125 Gwen { 10.28.10 at 3:32 pm }

Wilson, NC ( 1 hour east of Raleigh) – Birds and squirrels disappeared from my area late summer. Noticed new neighborhood cats, thought they were responsible. No butterflies this year at all. Several 150+ year old oaks with hundreds of thousands of tiny acorns falling constantly. Squirrels have returned but they are not obviously gathering the acorns. Have not seen any large acorns ever. Moved here in 1998. City energy officials project a winter milder than last. Let’s hope they are right!

126 Lee Roseland { 10.27.10 at 8:35 am }

I have seen an extreme amount of acorns on the driveway and sidewalks by my house here in Soutwest Houston. Also, I have been hearing the squirrels go “nuts” on my roof. You hear running around and little knocks on the roof…the sound of the acorns falling. This is much more than usual activity.

127 Karen { 10.25.10 at 11:03 am }

Living just north of Orlando in Seminole County Florida I have never seen so many acorns falling this year, my drive way is constantly covered. Sure seems like a sign of a cold winter.. BRRR!

128 tracyq { 10.23.10 at 10:02 pm }

I would also like to know if the squirrels are packing away for winter.I live in Russellville,Arkansas and we are seeing more squirrels this year than last and they all seem to be gathering more nuts and accorns.Anyone have any thoughts.

129 Jenifer Marx { 10.23.10 at 4:48 pm }

I live a block from the beach north of Vero Beach, Florida and have never seen
oak trees drop so many acorns at this time of year. I was wondering what was going on when I cam across this site.

130 Lins { 10.23.10 at 2:43 pm }

I googled “unsual amounts of acorns” and found this website. I live in NE Ohio. I have been at my office location for 5 years and this is the first year I noticed the acorns! Last night at a party, one of the ladies brought up the issue, she has a large amount of property and said had never seen this level of acorns and also mentioned the squirrels were going nuts (pun intended)! I heard it meant we are in for a very tough winter. I scanned through the comments, but didn’t find a definitive confirmation. I think I might need to consider wearing a helmet from my car to the door!

131 Pat { 10.21.10 at 12:50 pm }

I live in Allentown, Pa and in the front of the apartment building I live in there is a tree that is dropping Acorns like crazy. The squirrels are having a ball picking them up. Either the tree or the squirrels are telling us something about the coming winter.

132 Ron { 10.19.10 at 6:12 pm }

Have had a hard time even walking near my Oaks in Conn since early Sept, seems somethings up!

133 Miriam { 10.19.10 at 4:38 pm }

I live in NE OK just NW of Tulsa and in the middle of 5 acres of oak trees. I have never had so many acorns hit my house, deck, yard – you name it. And you’re right about the squirrels – my attic boarder has already moved in and it was 86 this past weekend and before.

134 Kathy { 10.19.10 at 12:19 pm }

In my backyard acorns have dropping like it’s raining.Hope they stop soon. I’ll never finish trying to rake them up. I have never seen so many. Danville,Va.

135 Kathy { 10.19.10 at 12:18 pm }

136 Lisa { 10.19.10 at 10:36 am }

This is hysterical! I had no idea people were experiencing the same “raining acorn phenomenom” that I was.
Here in Midlothian, VA you can’t step outside without fear of getting hit in the head. I am frightened that my little Shih Tzu is going to get a bonked on the head and end up with a concussion every time I take him out to do his business. There have also been reports of the acorns falling so hard they have cracked winshields of parked cars.
Like alot of other people have commented, I too have been wondering what happened to the squirrils. They seemed to have vanished.

137 Lisa { 10.17.10 at 8:24 pm }

I live in Knoxville Tennessee. I have two oak trees in my back yard and the are loaded and raining acorns hard. I have lived in my home for over 14 years and I dont remember ever having so many acorns. I guess I will never get rid of those chipmunks now. Quite a mess.

138 winterwatcher { 10.17.10 at 6:35 pm }

Western Washington: The squirrels are going nuts! Literally! My children and I were waiting for the hazel nuts to fall to the ground and each year we collect a couple of bushels of them. However when we went out to gather the nuts the trees were empty. None on the ground, none on the tree. Gone. However, we watched squirrels everywhere running, chasing and burying the few that could be found. I was taught that this means we will have a long cold winter. Hmmm?

139 HomeGrown { 10.17.10 at 3:05 pm }

I live in Virginia, rt on the border of Carolina and my husband and I were discussing the large qty of accorns coming down around here, just wandering if this means a rough winter?? We have noticed this activity since August and it is now October, 2010..I don’t remember the accorns being so abundant last year and we had a decent amount of snow and ice

140 Anita McVay { 10.16.10 at 10:03 pm }

Anita,
Here in Tishomingo,Ms. the squirrels are going crazy. I did not get one apple on both trees this year. I usually can several jars each year and did not get a one this year. This also goes for pecan and acorn trees. To answer the question do they know something we don’t know? Yes they do.

141 mr james { 10.15.10 at 5:45 pm }

I am currently amazed at the amount of squirrel activity in the UK. I have never seen anything like it. They seem highly motivated to collect acorns and bury them. I have also looked at cycles in the weather, I am convinced we are going to have a harsh uk winter. Atleast mother nature is keeping us in check.

142 Nancy { 10.15.10 at 2:05 pm }

Reporting in from Indiana – Checked online to see what other folks are saying about the UNUSUAL amount of acorns on the ground this season and found this website. I have FILLED a wheelbarrow FULL of fallen acorns in approx 2 weeks from only 1-2 trees in my yard – WOW. Concerned about a harsh winter!

143 ca { 10.13.10 at 5:44 pm }

Lack of rain is what I’ve been told. All the crops here in New England produced
early, although like last year it’s an amazing amount of acorns, people are getting hurt slipping and falling, getting hit on the head, the acorn wars with my son are pretty dangerous and windsheilds on cars are chipping. 22yrs living with these trees in my backyard never this amount!!! WOW!!!

144 Tom { 10.12.10 at 6:45 pm }

The acorns bouncing off the roof sound like a hail storm. We’ve lived in our Northern Virginia home for 32 years and we’ve had crazy years with the acorns, but nothing like this year. The only way I can clean them up is with a broom. I’m sweeping my yard. And the squirrels. They are chewing off the branches of the oak trees, then they pick up the acorns on the fallen branches. They must know something about the coming winter.

145 Linda Sather { 10.10.10 at 11:31 pm }

I started sweeping up acorns by the end of August! I have one Oak tree and thus far have swept 6- 30 gallon trash bags full! The Squirrls have been g oing nuts! I have lived here for 24 years and have never seen this many acorns ever or falling as early as August.

146 Kate { 10.08.10 at 6:20 am }

Ruby (August post) the squirrels in my back yard disappeared this August too. We have been scratching our heads for two months wondering what happens to them. No acorn bearing trees in our yard, maybe they have gone up the street where the acorns are more plentiful

147 Gern { 10.01.10 at 10:10 pm }

Here in Central Texas they have been falling for close to 2 weeks now and there are a TON of them. We had great rainfall this past year in comparison to the past few years so our lakes our up and the grass is a lot greener. I always heard that a strong winter follows.

148 Susan { 10.01.10 at 12:38 pm }

Here in central Florida the acorns have been falling like crazy in my back yard. The squirrels are busier than ever. I’m hoping for another repeat of last year – really, really cold and a light snow. Seriously. I LOVE IT. My Daddy taught me this theory when I was growing up and it has never failed me yet. Thanks Dad!

149 Mary { 09.29.10 at 12:33 pm }

I am here in central CT and for the past few weeks of watching this HUGE massive amount of acorns falling, I kept hoping I’d hang no dings on my Trail Blazer! Like many, my yard is covered in acorns as if it were snow and I continue to sweep the driveway but have NEVER seen it like this before. Someone said we are in for a rough winter……..I went and bought all new cozy sweatsuits to get ready like our squirrels are doing! Bring it on! Only one complaint – the massive falling of the acorns did leave my trail blazer windshield in need of replacement – that’s how hard these things are falling!

150 Gerry { 09.28.10 at 10:56 pm }

I am in florida and my oak tree is loaded with acorns but I have never seen the squirrels eating so many of them. I have seen them hoarding them and burying them but never eating so many. Bits and pieces keep falling on the ground continuously. Very cold winter in Florida I pedict. Maybe snow like we had in Jan.of 1977.

151 George { 09.28.10 at 1:57 pm }

Trees can’t predict the future any better than your brother-in-law gambling on the Packers. Masting by acorns (look it up) every few years allows the trees to overwhelm the number of squirrels, so more seeds can germinate. Since the squirrels can’t predict the future either, they don’t staff up to handle the overload. Turkeys similarly thrive in mast years. Note that unlike frogs for instance, oaks don’t need to have offspring every year to survive as a species. If you still prefer to anthropomophize oaks, note that “spatial synchronicity” occurs such that all the oaks mast heavily in the same year. Even interspecial spatial synchronicity occurs for different kinds of oaks. Figure that one out. Rhode Island reporting heavy masting- it’s getting dangerous out there.

152 Jr { 09.28.10 at 9:55 am }

It means the trees know they are going to die soon. This way they spread the seeds. It takes a few years. Then something will happen. ?? I don’t know what will happen. The trees are worried. Ps in nj for
two years now, it has been raining acorns.

153 Dawn { 09.28.10 at 9:02 am }

I’m here in Northeast Ohio and there are a TON of acorns falling here. One particualr morning it was very noisy outside and you could here them hitting roofs, sheds, garages…etc. I took a walk in a park here called The Gorge, the paths was literally covered with them!!!

154 Carol Salas { 09.27.10 at 9:42 pm }

From central New Jersey. Not only do we have tons of acorns all over the lawn and driveway, we also have the tips of Pin Oak branches all over the place. I’ve watched the squirrels actually bite off a 7-8 inch piece and let it drop to the ground. They don’t seem to bother the neighbors’ similar trees! Any harm??

155 Deborah { 09.27.10 at 3:42 pm }

Predictions for our area in the piedmont of North Carolina are for a milder than usual winter with perhaps ice storms rather than snow. So, your theory makes sense to me especially in light of the fact that my dozen or so mature pecan trees have practically no nuts on them this year. In years past, we have had moderate to heavy crops. I don’t know if that is a function of the drought we’ve had, but in other drought years we’ve still had pecans, so I’m thinking it means we will indeed have a warm winter.

156 Sandra { 09.27.10 at 10:58 am }

It’s raining acorns here in North Central MA and there is a lot of squirrel activities in the treetops.

157 Pam { 09.25.10 at 6:44 pm }

We live in Binghamton, NY (upstate NY) , lived in our house for 3 1/2 years now and have never seen anything like it–acorns all over our property and driveway. I was planting tulips and was hit on the back several times and they hurt! You almost need a helmet to stay outside. I am no expert, but this must mean something–maybe a really cold and snowy winter.

158 CHERYL { 09.25.10 at 1:49 pm }

Oh my gosh acorns are everywhere they fall in bunches sounds like thousands at a time. We like in mid-Ct and it is the most i have seen in years. Waiting to see how this winter is!!!!!!!!!!!

159 Dee { 09.25.10 at 12:45 pm }

Your postings have confirmed my thoughts on the excessive acorn. I purchased my home in 08. We heard acorns on the roof, but it sounded like light tapping. The squirrels were rampant. 09 I did not notice the acorns or the squirrels. This year the acrons sound like boulders hitting my roof. Walking on my patio is like walking on marbles. Bi-weekly raking only seems to put a dent in piles of acorns in my grass. The squirrels are in a frenzy. Our chipmunks have come out in droves and our ground hog finally appreared last week. I have not seen our usual bird population. I was really looking to see if the acorns would destroy the grass, but it is more interesting to know that this could mean a hard winter.

160 Dog Lover { 09.24.10 at 4:19 am }

I don’t know if more acorns mean anything, but I can tell you that here in Illinois, there are TONS. My backyard is surrounded by oaks, and not too long after we moved in (1993) there were so many, it was like walking around on marbles. I toss them out of the backyard, because I do dog rescue, and the dogs start eating them when they start dropping and bouncing around. Earlier this week, I spent about 90 minutes removing them, and the next couple days not near so long, and then again tonight (it’s been windy) there were tons. It’s late, and I decided to call it a night, but I’m sure I will go out to many more tomorrow! I do hope it isn’t an indication of a lot of snow, as I’ve heard it could be. I have 11 smaller dogs, and keeping the yard cleared enough so they can run around and relieve themselves and get exercise is already enough of a challenge! Plus, it gets just downright dangerous to be outside this time of year! I don’t know if it is the squirrels aiming for us, or just plain bad luck, but I’ve had a couple of dogs yelp when hit with the acorns.

161 Shelby { 09.22.10 at 12:53 pm }

I’m up here in Washington, we don’t have a lot of acorns but man we have A LOT of squirrels scampering around, it’s driving my dogs totally nuts how many squirrels are outside and they are working like mad all through the day and night. There weren’t this many last year. Mostly looks like they are digging up roots and other edible items. Seems to be some sort of indicator. We heard it might be a bad winter and have already packed away 4 tons of pellets.

162 Rose { 09.20.10 at 4:28 pm }

I have a huge oak next to my drive way. And here in Connecticut, I can say that I am now honestly afraid to walk to my car as my entire driveway is bombarded by the hour with huge acorns. I haven’t noticed any squirrls around * at least not more than one or two* but my daughter thinks it is amazing that there are so many and always has to grab 3 or 4 to bring in to keep. Maybe she is part squirrl. Hmmmm. But yes it is a very fertile year for my oak. I hope my car’s paint job survives.

163 Crystal furrow { 09.20.10 at 8:22 am }

Bout a month ago we noticed the massive oak tree in our yard had branches snapping under the weight of the huge green acorns!!!! Never seen them THAT big & in such abundance. One day 3 fairly LARGE branches SNAPPED & came crashing down while 3 of us witnessed. And I’ve seen like almost no squirrels this summer & fall so far. I’m guessing last winter killed them off & all the snow made my oaks go CRAZY this year…. what u think??

164 Gloria { 09.20.10 at 12:06 am }

I am so glad I found this site. I live in Lake Tahoe, CA. in the mountains, and for the past 3-4 weeks the squirrels have been eating the green pine cones in the trees, and the cores and chips are dropping like rain. I have lived here since 1979 and have never seen anything like this! Everyone I talk to in this area is experiencing the same thing. We only had summer for 1 month, July. This is all very strange, and I’d say that it all adds up to a very harsh winter. In reading others people comments it sounds like that it will be harsh in the East also. Usually the squirrels bury all the green pine cones in my garden, and this year they are burying the cores only. Well by next summer we will know just what all this means.

165 joe { 09.19.10 at 9:01 pm }

Not sure what to make of squirrels, but i think some of this maybe that since last years cold and snow they are just getting better prepared just like we do after a bad winter. And maybe there is so many nuts because of all of the snow melt in the spring giving all of the large trees more than adequate moisture to produce alot of nuts. One thing is for sure, in a few months we will definetly know if the squirrels know something we don’t.

166 Amanda { 09.17.10 at 7:11 pm }

I live in the Pocono’s of PA, I just came home after beeing away for a week and my yard is full of acorns. I left last week and there were some and now it seems as if it has rained acorns. The acorns are also VERY large, much large than in the past few years. I am wondering if this is a sign of a rough winter to come.

167 jo kinser { 09.15.10 at 10:46 am }

Deb – I have same thing in my yard. Suddenly no squirrels. Birds are still here but where have the squirrels gone? Did see one this morning but had many, many throughout spring, summer until sometime in August. Did you get any answer?

168 terri { 09.15.10 at 9:26 am }

Hi, I live in west paducah ky, the squirrels are going excuse the pun, Nuts gathering nuts and any type of seeds rfom my garden, found a spoon in at least 4 persimons, which I explained to granddaughter whose 8 that this and the squirrles could be a bad winter.

169 miki { 09.11.10 at 2:37 pm }

looked for this site. i’m in MN and i have so many acorns dropping that you can’t see the lawn, no kidding. i have never seen it this bad i have lived here for 16 yrs. squirrels were storing in july. Not good……….

170 MaryAnn { 09.09.10 at 7:39 am }

Born and raised in Florida, I have never seen such clusters of acorns in my oak trees. We had a large tree top fall in bad weather the other day and my gosh, what acorns, solid clusters. We did have a cold winter here for central , Fl. in 2010.

171 Robin { 09.08.10 at 9:26 pm }

I live in the Southern part of WV and the acorns are everywhere around my property. They are huge and there is more than I have ever seen. I went outside and bagged some up for a friend for deer and in less than an hour I had 10 pounds of acorns bagged up. They are almost the size of a quarter and all you have to do is reach down and pick up handfuls of them. I have noticed the trees at my Mom and Dads are like that as well. I guess the squirrels and deers will be eating well this year.

172 Deb { 09.08.10 at 8:51 pm }

I am in Western North Carolina and for the last 18 years we’ve been here the squirrels have always been very active and always a lot of nest in our trees. However, a couple of month ago I began to notice no squirrels and almost no birds either. I keep watching everyday – even on the adjacint properties around us and I don’t see any squirrels. I also have oak trees in my yard but I have not notice any acorns dropping. A good many of our trees are starting to shed leaves but that is normal for where we are it’s always been Aug/Sept they start falling. This lack of squirrels is almost spooky … it’s like they just packed up and left town. Any idea’s what could cause this to happen?

173 linda { 09.08.10 at 6:57 pm }

I live in Ctr. Barnstead N.H., close to the southern tip of lake Winnipesaukee, and the acorns have been falling continuously since the beginning of summer. I have to sweep off my pourch at least once a day! It’s like walking on a sea of marbles. Almost all the acorns are green, and I’ve noticed bits of branches with leaves and acorns attached. The squirrel population seems to outnumber the bird population this year too. It’s been hot and extremely humid this summer, with little rain, and instuctions from water companies that consumption is for indoor use only, designating specific days and specific hours for outdoor use, varying in individual towns.

174 Karen { 09.08.10 at 10:16 am }

I’m here in Erie, PA have noticed the 2 squirrels who had taken up residence in a walnut tree at my client’s home who ate up the bird bells and the bird squares very rapidly in the past 3 weeks. They chattered against each other and one chased away another so they couldn’t get to the birdseed block. They didn’t care whether the cat was outside the door or not. I even took pictures of them on the tree to which they did not run off. Maybe it does mean we here in Northwest PA will have a harsh winter. I hope not because 2008-2009 winter was horrible. We had 143 inches of snow that season. The temperatures that year were bitter cold.

175 Starr { 09.02.10 at 2:04 am }

I was just wondering when we should start to see the acorns dropping, because here in NH (at least where I live,) I have not seen any acorns on the ground and I too have noticed that the squirrels have disappeared suddenly. I had to use a squirrel repellent to keep them away and now they have disappeared. Last year we had tons and tons of acorns, I haven’t seen one on the ground. What does that mean?

176 patti { 09.01.10 at 2:49 pm }

bag the acorn and kept it for the deers moose the wild live because he are going to have a bad winter

177 Jimmy { 09.01.10 at 12:29 am }

With the unusually wet winter last year, there was plenty of food this past spring to support large rodent populations. That same abundance of moisture last winter is being reflected in large amounts of acorns and nuts. Much of your rodent activity is just competition amongst the many animals for what will soon be a dwindling food resource. Expect those rodents to start looking to get into your garage and attic soon…LOL

178 wonderer { 08.30.10 at 2:15 pm }

I live in eastern Ky and i have noticed the willy worms are all over differant sizes an colors .Every time i go to the basement i see them on the door or on the inside is there a reason for this

179 tracey { 08.30.10 at 6:36 am }

Here in central AR the squirrels have been tearing up my pecan trees for the last month. Trees are starting to loose their leaves. Hot and dry here. Worried that the winter will be cold again. My granddad always said the squirrels let you know how the winter was going to be. If they are right hang on to your hats. My pecan trees are almost empty of pecans.

180 Linda Johnson { 08.29.10 at 2:30 pm }

Not so much acorns, which have started to fall, but the squirrels are really going nuts :-) for pine cones, they are eating them like crazy, have the left overs all over the yard, you have to be careful when you walk outside under the pine trees, it’s like they’re aiming for your head. We are in the Tallahassee,Fl area.

181 Bobby Fields { 08.29.10 at 2:33 am }

I live in Toms River, NJ. For the past week, squirrels in my back yard have been dropping small branches from the oak trees with leaves and acorns attached. As you go up and down the streets other red oaks are having the same problem, but not all…My next door neighbor said he watched the Squirrels chew off small branches and then suck on the ends before dropping them to the ground…Does this have something to do with the drought we’ve been going through lately or are the squirrels in NJ gone Loco…

182 Ruby { 08.27.10 at 6:44 pm }

Every year in August the squirrels in my backyard just disappear. Can anyone tell me why that is or what they are up to this time of year ???

183 Lynda { 08.27.10 at 3:25 am }

At the Maine Audubon – glimpses of fall already. Acorns were dropping so profusely it was hard to walk around. Not just the occasional drop, but almost as if it was raining.

184 Carmie { 08.26.10 at 10:34 pm }

I’ve noticed the acorns are dropping early, and are very large this year. An “old-timer” told me that is an indication of a harsh winter.

185 Samantha { 08.26.10 at 10:21 pm }

I live in SLC and things have been very humid here this summer
especially for a high desert I idid see the little varmints burying stuff in june
WEIRD! and our garden has been a nightmare this year
most people have been unable to get any produce mainly tomatoes they are coming on fast and furious now they are the size of cantaloupes and are packing alot of water content6????????? I don’t know but I would say that it is going to be wild

186 Denny { 08.26.10 at 2:13 pm }

Our squirrels have been very active harvesting the acorns out of our oak trees. They were going crazy detaching them from the trees. It seems like after they let them sit out in the sun a few days, they went about burying them. They usually just bury them as they fall out on their own, but this summer, they’re harvesting them… Some leaves are already falling from our oak trees as well (in Indiana).

187 stephanie { 08.25.10 at 4:44 pm }

why do squirrels just chew the end off of pecans that are green?

188 Heather { 08.25.10 at 1:30 pm }

I live in Pasadena Maryland, have been here for 12 years. I remember last fall the oak trees in my yard dumped acors by the tons! So much so that we had to sweep the deck, driveway and patio at least every other day, and that was a first. And then the winter of 2009/2010 we got slammed with all those blizzrds, one right after the other. This fall (2010) I am noticing the same exact thing with the acorns, dropping by the tons, and it is only August.

189 CT in NY { 08.24.10 at 12:32 pm }

I was walking in downtown Albany, NY on Sunday I noticed a lot of acorns on the ground and a few squirrels looking for a place to bury them. The hard winter was my first thought! Lets pray the squirrels are wrong…

190 Dalton { 08.23.10 at 11:13 am }

In South West Ohio the acorns have been coming down quite rapid. (Most have bite marks, with a few that don’t) It’s been unreasonably dry and hot this year. The trees are strarting to loose leaves, I think due to extreme heat cause they just look burnt and dry. The squriels look to be building their nests low this year. I’ve always heard that means a hard winter and a hot dry summer = a wet cold winter. I just hope that the crops can be harvested on time or even early with corn ears that are droping in Augest. Please not a lot of rain for fall. Ready for Old Man Winter…

191 Catherine { 08.21.10 at 9:32 am }

I live in Fort Worth, Tx and have large pecan trees. The squirrels have been knocking green pecans out of my trees for about the last couple of weeks. There are so many on the ground that it’s hard to find a square foot of ground not covered with them! Knew many years ago that this is a sign of a hard winter. Last winter we got over 15″ of snow and that set a record here! I didn’t notice the squirrels as active as much as this year, so I’d bet we’re in for a doozy of a winter worse than last year!

192 Ronnie { 08.20.10 at 1:42 pm }

I live in Laurence Harbor, NJ. For the past few days, squirrels in my back yard have been dropping small branches from the oak trees with leaves and acorns attached. We have had unusually warm, dry weather here. Thanks for the information posted here. At least I know it’s not my imagination.

193 Connie { 08.18.10 at 9:07 am }

I noticed that in early june my peonies bloomed very early this year and some of our trees are already turning color for the autumn season….too early for cold weather…what gives

194 pam { 08.17.10 at 10:32 am }

i live in central maine and the gray squirrels have been dropping big fat green acorns since the end of july. some have bite marks, some don’t. i hope the squirrels aren’t predicting snow depth!

195 Earl { 08.16.10 at 1:02 pm }

spring hill tn ,the acorns are just starting to fall here but the little fuzzy varmits are having afeild day,and are eatting up my pear and apple trees first time ive seen it like this,bad winter comming on maybe

196 Carolyn { 08.15.10 at 10:47 am }

Now that you mention it, I went for a walk in a local state park yesterday, and the path under the oak tree was littered with acorns. But couldn’t this just be because of the stress of the heat this summer? Seems a logical conclusion to me. However, an odd thing I’ve noticed–like julie’s comment–is that plants are blooming earlier. And then again, some are late and never flowered. Actually, my beautiful garden was almost ugly this year; I’ve never seen a year like it, nor do I want to see another that is like it again!

197 Tammi { 08.12.10 at 3:17 pm }

I live in Nebraska and most of our acorns started dropping the 2nd week of July. We still have a few dropping but most of them was a month ago over 1 weekend. We don’t have any squirrels in our yard, so I have to do all the cleaning up.

198 Janet { 08.10.10 at 6:25 pm }

We live in a 100-year growth oak forest in Central CT. Each fall we must deal with thousands of acorns on our lawn. This year, the small ones started falling in July and now they’re bigger and we must huddle under the sun umbrella on our deck to dodge them. They’re coming down whole and in pieces leaving behind so much debris, you can’t walk barefoot. Although we have many sqirrels around, I’ve looked but can’t see any in the trees causing the droppage. Am NOT looking forward to Fall clean up!

199 sajfox { 08.10.10 at 12:03 pm }

I have seen squirrels doing the same in Michigan.Also I have noticed the excellent growing year in Michigan.My trees grown 3 feet this year(Norway Spruces,Blue Spruces, Maples etc.) ,crops growing excellant this year despite the dry spell we are having.Is this an indication of our winter is going to hard and cold???I hope not. Scott

200 Kat { 08.09.10 at 8:22 pm }

The squirrels in our yard (NC) have been harvesting pecans for about 2 weeks and have now started on the acorns. They are definitely chewing the branches to make the nuts fall.

201 Matthew T { 08.09.10 at 12:33 pm }

The squirrels in my area (Bedford county PA and Berkeley county WV) are extremely active, they are very fat, there houses are thick beyond belief, and the trees are loaded with a huge amount of acorns, more than last year which is hard to believe, and unlike last year most are full through out not mostly shell like last year. Also even thought its to early for this report but the corn husk already is extremely thick and tough as nails and its getting thicker every week. Also the deer are very active on the corn this year, alot of animals are going gangbusters on the crops, which is very early and at a greater level than usual. Hmm I’m wondering and hoping we get a snowier winter than last year, I love snow, and would love to have a foot or so on the ground for hunting season, and the rest of winter to be just solid snow!!!

202 Renata { 08.08.10 at 8:55 pm }

We have shaggy hickory trees in our front yard here in NJ. This year the squirrels have started to harvest the nuts very early and in great abundance. The shredded nuts are all over our driveway and lawn. It looks like it’s raining particles from the trees as the squirrels chew the nuts in the trees. Generally this only occurs in late Summer or early Fall. We have had very little rain for the last 3 months, so the trees are stressed as well. Leaves are dropping along with nuts and remnants of squirrel activity. It’s an unusual mess this year. I wondered what’s happening. R.

203 Laura { 08.06.10 at 10:43 am }

Our two very old oak trees are dropping a bumper crop of acorns. Every day they are littering the driveway and yard. This is our first year living in Madison, Wisconsin, and I found this site because I never saw so many acorns!! I thought they would drop in the fall, not in early August.

204 Kelly { 08.05.10 at 9:57 pm }

We live in the Pacific Northwest on the coast & we have had only 3 days of summer heat. It has felt like fall the whole time…what the heck is with that?

205 Regina { 08.02.10 at 7:03 pm }

We live on the southern tier of NY (considered upstate). The flowers here are months ahead, the goldenrod that I use to make a dyepot every Sep 28th are already in bloom and should be long done by then. Joe pye weed is in bloom, grasses that should be flourishing about now are dying back. Trees have that end of summer dark dry feeling about them. 40 degrees a few nights ago. It causes a pensive feeling…

206 Rita { 07.31.10 at 3:15 pm }

I am in Richmond, VA. I spent today in my mulch beds and 2 squirrels were dropping acorns like crazy in the front yard and driveway. The trees are so large, I couldn’t see the squirrels. I picked a couple up of the acorns and the stems appeared to be chewed. They are havesting them. When I took a break, they scampered down the tree and checked out the goods. I am going to keep my eye on the acorns to see if they disappear in the next couple of days.

207 Eileen { 07.31.10 at 8:07 am }

Well, I have to say they are active her in NH – my dog and I were bombed this morning! We’ve had 2 chilly nights and now the acorns are dropping!

208 Jenny { 07.30.10 at 2:18 pm }

Here in east central Illinois, the katydids started up the week of the 4th of July…6weeks till frost! Burning bushes are turning red & the autumn sedum is turning. You’re right about the squirrels…I saw them lugging off walnuts today…they’re burying anything that they can find! If these are any indications, we’re in for a cold, snowy and early winter!

209 Ruth { 07.30.10 at 1:01 pm }

I live along the St Lawrence Rv.in northern N.Y. I’ve noticed the small caterpillars are white, not the usual blk/brn.
Our Oaks still look pretty good and yes the squirrels starting to knock down branches. My fall blooming plants are ahead of schedule.

210 leahrae { 07.29.10 at 4:32 pm }

Here in N. Illinois, they are all working real hard rebuilding their nests (condos, practically!

211 snowlover { 07.29.10 at 2:16 am }

I have noticed that some of the trees are beginning to turn colors. I’ll get back with you on the acorns. I do know that last year in Virginia we had a TON of acorns! Well…we know what happen with that. Lots of snow. I’m hoping for a snowy winter this year also:)

212 mylu { 07.28.10 at 10:11 am }

I’m in Missouri and the leaves on my walnut tree are already falling.Don’t like that,I’m not ready for winter.

213 Liz S. { 07.28.10 at 8:33 am }

I live in South County, RI, and have noticed quite a large number of acorns. We also have an unusually high number of chipmunks and squirrels this year, it seems. It’s also been one of the most hottest and humid summers in a long time!

214 midwest { 07.27.10 at 11:36 am }

I live in northern Indiana and for several weeks I’ve been wondering if we’re in for an early fall & winter. Granted, it’s still very hot around here, but I’ve had a large number of immature acorns that have been falling from my oak trees for at least the past 3 weeks. Additionally, a tree across the street that traditionally drops colored leaves in my yard in August, has been doing so now for at least the past 2 weeks. I worry that we’re going to go from an extremely hot summer into a quick and cold fall – foregoing that wonderful, mild September-October weather.

215 Jay { 07.26.10 at 9:28 am }

Someone in my neighborhood here in MD (over)feeds the squirrels throughout the year, so I do not have a good read on the critters’ behavior. The local flora does seem to be blooming earlier this year – cultivated or not. At first, I thought it was just me and maybe things were a little early, but my sweetheart confirmed my suspicions and as summer progressed the evidence proved substantial. We had concluded the wet Spring and early heat locally moved the cycle forward a bit. Not sure where Julie is reporting from above, but MN certainly experiences a different weather pattern than we do … another person wondering if there’s something significant to consider.

216 julie { 07.24.10 at 11:14 pm }

I’ve noticed that plants both domestic and wild, are blooming earlier.

217 Jodi { 07.24.10 at 10:16 pm }

Here in MN I haven’t noticed any acorns falling yet but if I were to guess what date it was by looking at the crops and native plants I would have to say mid to late august. Most of the field corn has full tassels with good sized ears and the goldenrod is blooming. Hmmmmm. Makes a person wonder….