Waxing Crescent

Persimmon Seed “Spoon” Sighting in North Carolina

Persimmon Seed “Spoon” Sighting in North Carolina

As many visitors to our site already know, the Persimmon Seed is often cited as a means by which we can predict the upcoming winter weather. Melissa Bunker, Farmers’ Almanac’s “Johnsonville, NC Correspondent,” checked in with this photo of what appears to be a collection of knives and spoons (knife-shaped = “cold and icy”, spoon = “get out your snow shovel”).

For more on Persimmon Seeds, you can browse some of the related posts on the right or click this link.

1 Sharon Harvey { 10.21.13 at 5:55 pm }

Here in the Northeastern Part of Arkansas on Crowley,s Ridge all the persimmon seeds I opened from our yard revealed all Spoons. And in Mnt Home Arkansas all seeds revealed spoons also. My cousin checked the seeds there. So My Grandma would say,” Better get your showels out, and stock your shelves full of nonperishables, and get ready to hunker down this winter. Guess we,ll see if this really works.

2 Melissa Bunker { 11.03.11 at 12:46 pm }

Hey guys. Persimmon lady here! Just a heads up to our persimmon reading friends. Its safer if you just put the seed sideways between your teeth and bite down till the seed splits in two. Make sure you stand the seed on its side. Some seeds have nothing and this only means that the seed was immature. The cotyledons (spelling?) are the predictor. The white spoon, fork or knife are actually the premature persimmon tree itself tucked away in its seed ready to sprout. The three past years I have been posting here and after the winter storm shocker for October for our friends up north was a big wake up call for all the spoons I saw in the seeds this year! Stock up on the firewood!

3 Veronica { 09.15.11 at 7:56 pm }

I have a persimmon tree in my backyard and opened a couple of seeds that showed “spoons”! I love the idea of seeing some snow, we don’t get to see much of it down here in Rosenberg, Texas.

4 STEVE GREGG { 01.10.11 at 10:15 am }

cut one open probably late in the season….1-10-2011 showed spoon so guess this is yet to be seen feb and mar may be snowful??? i live in the prague okla area not much action as of yet ..fingers crossed

5 Cassandra H { 01.05.11 at 11:08 am }

We’ve cracked open several seeds in East Tennessee and ALL of them are shaped like spoons! So far, it has been very accurate!

6 cindy { 11.19.10 at 10:39 am }

cracked several in Fayetteville, AR 75 % were a spoon, the other 25% a knive…..

7 Carole { 10.27.10 at 8:09 am }

Cracked eight persimmons here in East Texas & they all showed spoons!!! Yay!

8 Joan { 10.25.10 at 9:36 am }

From the Sand hills of NC: We opened several persimmon seeds from our tree this year — they were all spoons!

9 Glen { 10.22.10 at 12:47 pm }

I opened a seed here in Fort Smith Arkansas this morning and it was a spoon! Same as last year and we had a White Christmas!

10 bertha { 10.18.10 at 8:46 pm }

I live in centralia illinois and I found a spoon shape inside the persimmon seed I opened!

11 Diana { 10.17.10 at 8:55 pm }

Picked up six persimmons today with my granddaughter. Just opened them all, had twenty four seeds…..all spoons! How fun!!!

12 2010 All Spoons In Franklin Indiana { 10.13.10 at 9:26 am }

I opened 20 seeds and found all spoons.
I use channel lock pliers to squeeze the seeds long ways and the “tip” end will pop open.

13 Many Spoons Found in Piedmont NC { 10.09.10 at 11:45 am }

We have never heard of this either until the other night watching a show on UNCTV. Here in Piedmont NC, north of Charlotte, Our family went to our back yard and picked up several persimmons that had fallen to the ground. We brought them inside cleaned the seeds out and began our adventure of opening all the seeds. After trial and error, we found out the easiest way to open the seeds were to indeed put the seed in between your teeth upright and press down slightly until you hear a small pop, kind of like opening a peanut. The seed will snap open at end where you then can pull the seed open down the middle. From our research we had 32 spooons and nothing else. WOW!!!! We are so excited to see just how much snow supposedly we will get this winter!

14 Danny { 10.05.10 at 4:22 pm }

I opened up 18 persimmon seeds all spoons 10-5-2010 Decatur Illinois

15 Lola { 09.28.10 at 6:04 pm }

Just wanted to add my Results!! I am in upstate SC .
Today I cut open 17 persimmon seeds. 10 are Spoons .. 4 Forks & 3 Knives !!
I hope we get Snow this year & NO ice storms!

16 Jennie { 09.22.10 at 8:32 pm }

in Tennessee Nothing but spoons on my persimmon trees this year Hope it is true and we get snow!!!!

17 Cara { 12.31.09 at 4:32 pm }

I have never heard of this, but, we had a blizzard (in Duncan OK) Christmas Eve and it has been white ever since, and its New Years Eve, plus we had another snow fall this morning… Holds true!

18 Brian Wright { 12.09.09 at 10:10 am }

I am 49 years old and had never heard of this until this year. We have a few persimmon trees on our property in East Texas and my Mom gathered a few and they were all spoons. Pretty amazing how they will be the same all across the country. So far the prediction is correct in our area. We have already had light snowfall in North Texas.

19 Melissa Bunker { 12.01.09 at 4:38 pm }

Hey, I am the one who submitted the article a while back. The best way to open the seeds is believe it or not but gnaw on them with your molars. The seed will split right in two. Make sure the seed is not laying flat but standing upright in your mouth. :) Sporks?! Um a light dusting maybe? I am not sure about this one, but keep us posted!

20 amy { 11.13.09 at 1:04 pm }

live in pryor, ok…northeast corner of the state. several seeds from different trees….all spoons! better than a knife!

21 Mitch Harris { 11.06.09 at 10:48 am }

Spoons here in Edmond, Oklahoma and at our farm in Perkins, Ok.

22 Carolyn { 11.02.09 at 8:36 pm }

Father in law has cut into the seeds in Shelby County Texas from different trees.. All have showed spoons.. Frosty the Snowman might just be coming our way!

23 Tom Page { 11.02.09 at 8:14 pm }

We Have A Spoon In Southern Missouri ( Branson West) We are Going To Go But Our Shovels

24 Ann { 11.02.09 at 7:25 am }

I opened three seeds yesterday and yes all three had spoons!

25 lindsey poole { 10.28.09 at 3:16 pm }

we have a persimmon tree growing in our back yard in Germantown, TN and we had spoons in our seeds as well!!

26 Nancy Campbell { 10.28.09 at 8:39 am }

Spoons in Bullard, Texas!

27 ray weaver { 10.26.09 at 10:25 pm }

can anyone tell me if the seeds can be eaten?we got spoons and are wondering if we can put some up?

28 William { 10.25.09 at 6:40 pm }

Just opened one of ours. Its a knife.
Northwest Louisiana

29 Linda S { 10.22.09 at 3:55 am }

The kids gathered persimmon seeds from the yard and promply because splitting them open. They found a couple of forks and the rest were spoons. We live in NE Georgia.

30 Tim Williams { 10.21.09 at 4:15 pm }

spoons in Kentucky as well. Let’s hope for no ice this year!

31 Lance { 10.21.09 at 8:52 am }

Spoons here in southwest Indiana near Bloomington.

32 Lori { 10.20.09 at 8:18 pm }

The spork spottting cracked me up!!

33 KAREN { 10.20.09 at 4:03 pm }

WE HAVE SPOONS IN OKLAHOMA TOO!!

34 Regina { 10.20.09 at 1:24 am }

I need some help. How do you open them? I have tried and tried with little to no success. Please help! My sixth graders are wanting to do this as a project.

35 lemberton { 10.19.09 at 1:48 pm }

We live in Eastern Oklahoma and I took my 2 granddaughters out this past weekend, Oct. 17, 2009, and we picked about 30 persimmons and cut open 5 to check the seeds. All had spoons. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

36 Dawn Magness { 10.12.09 at 10:33 pm }

My daughter opened persimmon seeds at her school today! They had numerous spoon shapes inside them! We live in Northcentral Arkansas (less than 100 miles to Missouri border)! This was so cool. The teacher let me see how the kids opened the seed and we tried it at home! It worked!

37 Dallas { 10.11.09 at 2:50 pm }

How do you cut a persimmon seed open? I’m having a hard time trying to use a razor blade to do it.

38 Phyllis { 10.10.09 at 10:40 pm }

Spoons for us in Northern Mississippi too. This year is first time I’ve heard of this predictor.

39 Hobbie Dennis Family { 10.09.09 at 6:10 pm }

We live in Southwest Missouri on Arkansas border…we found spoons today!

40 Joyce { 10.09.09 at 11:01 am }

I just cut open my persimmon seed and it has a spoon in it. I live in Bloomfield, Missouri. 63825, 150 south of St. Louis ,Missouri.

41 Leah Sandlin { 10.08.09 at 6:31 pm }

I have found persimmon seeds in northwest AR that contain spoons also. It would be nice to get lots of snow instead on ice!!

42 Becki { 10.06.09 at 11:08 am }

So we cracked some open in southern Missouri and they contained SPORKS!! Can anyone assist with what a spork means?

43 spoons found { 10.05.09 at 2:57 am }

Spoons found in Arkansas in September 2009

44 Connie { 09.29.09 at 8:39 pm }

My husband opened a persimmon seed and said that it is in the shape of a spoon. The same as last year. Yikes.

45 Melissa { 09.28.09 at 11:56 am }

yep, we found spoons in Northeast Texas

46 Jeremiah { 09.25.09 at 5:29 pm }

Munson, Florida (northwest Florida) wife says they cut open persimmons today and they all had spoons inside – indicating we’ll have to shovel snow according to the old folklore ( that only happens around here once about every 10-15 years).

47 KJ { 09.23.09 at 12:03 pm }

We have persimmon trees and we look at the seeds ever year. Its spoons for us in Illinois too!

48 lynn-Alabama { 09.22.09 at 10:57 am }

Last year at school we cut open persimmon seeds to predict the winter weather as a science experiment and found all knives. It was interesting to the fourth graders I teach and we predicted a dusting of snow. It came to happen around January and we were all very surprised at our predictions. This year we did the same thing and it was all spoons. My students are very excited and hope it does come true. We would love to have a lot of snow. This is something we rarely get to see in Alabama. Some of my students have never seen more than a dusting of snow. So here’s to the folklore of the persimmon may it snow snow snow!!!!

49 Ricky { 09.18.09 at 12:16 am }

Someone in S.C. needs to get one of these fancy seeds.

50 Susan Ponder { 09.18.09 at 12:01 am }

My granddaughter and I opened up two persimmon seeds this evening and we have spoons! Last year we had knife’s and the big ice storm hit! We are in northeast Arkansas.

51 debbie young { 09.16.09 at 5:01 pm }

cool i’ve never seen this before!!!!!!!!

52 Sara Steinhear { 09.15.09 at 4:17 pm }

this is so cool I need to go buy a persimmon