Waning Gibbous

Salute Veterans on November 11

Salute Veterans on November 11

Americans across the country will be celebrating Veterans' Day on November 11. This annual federal holiday is set aside as a time for honoring all veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces.

Veterans' Day is observed on November 11 in commemoration of the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. Hostilities officially ended in 1918 at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. The first observance of the holiday was in 1919.

Formerly called “Armistice Day,” the holiday was originally intended to honor veterans of the First World War. Later, the meaning of the holiday was expanded to include not only veterans of World War I, but to honor all U.S. military veterans who served in either wartime or peacetime.

On November 11, Canadians celebrate a similar holiday called Remembrance Day to honor those who served in the Canadian Armed Forces. In Canada, it is tradition for citizens to wear red poppy flowers in memory of those who perished in war.

This Veterans' Day, show your appreciation for our country’s military veterans and their families who have sacrificed so much to guard our freedom. Attend a parade or special ceremony, lay flowers in a cemetery, or send a card to a veteran in your community. And at 11:00 a.m., join other Americans in a moment of silence to remember those who paid the ultimate price in service to our country.

1 Don Adams { 11.10.11 at 11:38 pm }

DAD was in north africa ,was arm comback instructor !

2 Don Adams { 11.10.11 at 11:35 pm }

My Dad was in the 8th division in north africa Dad id home with God now MY Dad was a
minister in army also arm comback instrutor ! That was my DAD !

3 Helen { 11.09.11 at 11:21 pm }

THANK YOU for your service – to all veterans!!

4 B. Bennett { 11.09.11 at 4:43 pm }

Nov 8th 2011 I Watched the first part of the History Channels “Vietnam” last night. It was such a terrible time in our history. Fighting the enemy in that type of terran and intense heat was a whole new type of warfare.It was said back then that the only way to gauge how much progess was being made was by the body count.It had also been said that this was such a wrong war and never should have happened to begin …with.A “commercial” war too. Those that served and survived the combat and came back to tell about it have it embeded in them for all of their days as one veteran put it. Our freedoms have come at a very high cost. This was a repeat of how the civil war was so horrific with so much bloodshed too. I had witnessed seeing the officers go to a neighbors front door one day and gave them the news of their son. This too is embeded and a personal experience never to forget. Right,wrong, or otherwise, they gave their all defending our freedoms,Duty, Honor, Country ! May our colors fly with pride,today, tomorrow, and always ! God has blessed America ! Our leaders need divine guidence now as they always have to find the right balance.Let’s all remember our servicemen and women on this Veterans Day !

5 Deb { 11.09.11 at 1:33 pm }

God bless our troops this Veterans Day and each and every day that we enjoy the freedoms they have given us by their service.

6 Loren A. Jacobs { 11.09.11 at 12:25 pm }

The American Legion Posts in most communities have a ceremony, usually conducted in a public square (Morgan City, Louisiana, Post No. 96 did their’s in front of the City Hall on November 11 at 11 o’clock each year.

Also, most of the elementary and middle schools throughout Louisiana and Texas (speaking from the experience of attending in those states) have ceremonies to recognize veterans.

Sgt,US Army 1957-61

7 Doc Voodoo { 11.09.11 at 11:55 am }

The life of a military volunteer is an eye opening and life changing experience and one I would recommend whether for 4 yrs or for life as I did. I served from September 1965 to September 1968 and then again from 1981 till December 1994. Never a day without a learning experience. Too all of my shipmates I was proud to server with you, good or bad, my best to you and your families on this Veteran’s Day and all days ahead. IDC/NEC425 HM1/USN/Retired

8 Brad { 11.09.11 at 10:40 am }

Like Gerald, I, too, am a Navy vet who served during a time of war. I served from 1967-1973. I’d like to offer my “Welcome Home” and “THANK YOU for your service” to all of our vets and active duty folks. I’d also like to thank the families and loved ones for THEIR sacrifices and support during their separation and the return of their soldiers, sailors, and airmen and airwomen. May God Bless you ALL!

9 Gerald { 11.09.11 at 10:14 am }

I am a Navy Vet. form July 1971 till March 1975. I joined during a time of war, didn’t know where they would send me, but I did my duty and am glad I served. My thanks to all the other Vet’s may our Lord bless you with much happiness.