Waning Crescent

Winter Indicator

“Didn’t see another way to submit…the August article about persimmon seeds said to mention if we opened one. We cut open 2 seeds, in Jefferson City, Missouri, and the first one didn’t have anything that we could make out. The second one that we opened, from a different persimmon, definitely had a spoon. First time I’ve ever opened one…heard about it, but never done it or actually seen one.”

I enjoy this time of the year. I get reports about what the “animals, birds and insects” are saying about the upcoming winter. The persimmon seed is another one we hear about often. When cut in two pieces, the persimmon seed will display one of three symbols.

> A knife shape indicates a cold and icy winter (where the wind cuts through you like a knife).

> A fork shape is an indicator of a mild winter.

> A spoon shape stands for a shovel to dig out the snow.

I have heard from 3 individuals in the Carolinas and now, Missouri, that the seed calls for snow and lots of it. Interesting.

Daylight Saving Time ended on Sunday morning – 2am. So, we’ve gone through the first cycle of 4 additional weeks. How did this impact your life?? If you flip to our home page, you can vote for the DST Plan as voted by Congress. The purpose was to save energy. Did it work?? Tell us.

Technorati Tags:
persimmon seeds, upcoming winter, mild winter, snow, save energy

1 TOM { 12.06.09 at 12:45 pm }

HI, I AM ALSO IN SOUTHEAST KANSAS. I HAVE HAD A DOZEN PEOPLE COME AND PICK THE FRUIT. AFTER BAG WORMS COVERED MY TREES IN AUGUST AND THE FRUIT BEGAN FALLING IN OCT. NOT ONE FRUIT HAD ANY SEEDS AT ALL IN THEM. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS. I HOPE MY TREES ARE NOT GOING TO DIE. THANKS

2 Megan { 11.08.09 at 4:50 pm }

Spoons in southeast Oklahoma:)

3 Joshua (11 yrs old) { 11.01.09 at 10:34 pm }

We have spoons in Southeast Kansas. Have checked 6 seeds from 3-4 persimmons.

4 Brenda { 10.07.09 at 10:52 am }

Found mostly spoons with a few knives in Northeast Ms. Hope the prediction is true and we get snow. Haven’t had snow in a very long time.

5 junior { 10.04.09 at 7:10 pm }

we have spoons in fort smith,ark also

6 George Fougerousse { 10.02.09 at 1:32 pm }

Persimmons are getting ripe here in Russellville, Ar. I cut open
2 seeds and both had a spoon in them, meaning supposedly a
snowy winter (a shovel to use for the snow). We’ll have to wait
and see.

7 Michele { 09.02.09 at 12:36 pm }

Those that we encounter lately seem to greet/voice the same thing, “Doing allright, whatyathink this winter’s gonna do for us?” I’m originally from northern new england, but have been here in AR since 1992; I’ve yet to see a hard winter, & will welcome the white stuff…ice is so much more lethal when falling down…I’ve had 6-very black wooly-worms on my front porch/driveway already. Haven’t seen that many birds this past month. And the leaves started coming off the trees in June, as well as some of the trees look pretty flimsy…All good signs that the white-stuff is on its way…If you only carry liability ins, I’d go see Kathy at PIG in Bentonville, AR, & upgrade!