Waning Crescent

When’s the Best Day to Wean?

When’s the Best Day to Wean?

Over the years, various peoples and traditions have established what they believe to be the most opportune times to perform specific tasks. Some of these times are based on Moon phases, and other are based on the sign of the Zodiac that the Moon is in.

One “rule” for weaning is to do it when the Moon is the signs of Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. These signs rule the thighs, knees, ankles, and feet, and the dates listed in the Farmers’ Almanac are based on this rule. Many people have consulted the dates for weaning a variety of animals, and have had great success.

Weaning a human baby is a more complicated process, and every child is different. Though we do list best days to wean, and encourage parents to try the dates listed, we recommend that you do what’s best for you child when weaning him or her from a bottle.

Find out about more Best Days by viewing our calendar here

1 linda holmes { 10.10.14 at 10:32 am }

Is it okay to have total replacement on october 17, 2014?

2 Charli { 06.28.14 at 11:32 am }

When is the best time to have surgery in the area of the abdomen according to the signs? Aug 19, Sept 9, Sept 16, Sept 23, or Sept 30 are available dates for surgery. I have heard that is is best to have surgery as the signs are going down and past that area of the body. Please help.

3 Livi Roberts { 05.06.14 at 4:06 pm }

My son is having surgery on his head/skull in Sept-early October. He has born Dec 6 2013. When would signs be best to do his surgery? They only do this surgery on Thursday’s. The choices they gave me were 11th and 18th but I might could do other days too. I know fulloon is the 9th so thinking 11th is out list not site how to do this sign stuff.

4 Jaime McLeod { 03.17.14 at 6:54 am }

Elizabeth McFarlin, We don’t have dates for that, but you might find that using the weaning dates helps with this, too.

5 Elizabeth McFarlin { 03.16.14 at 9:38 pm }

When is it best to quit rocking a baby and just put them in their crib?

6 Jaime McLeod { 10.18.13 at 8:24 am }

Hi Jill, You can find that by clicking the link above.

7 Jill { 10.17.13 at 5:01 pm }

I’m looking for the best days to wean a foal.

8 Jaime McLeod { 09.06.13 at 10:33 am }
9 Jaime McLeod { 09.06.13 at 10:33 am }

ral10311 – I can’t say how many days in a row – that’s up to you, and maybe some parenting experts. We just recommend good days to start.

10 ral010311 { 09.04.13 at 6:47 pm }

How many days in a row should I try to ween by daughter?? Next week 9-11 to 9-19 are all good day according to the Almanac. Please help!

11 Jenny { 09.04.13 at 4:59 pm }

When is the best time to wean my 15 month old off the bottle

12 Jaime McLeod { 05.22.13 at 3:47 pm }

Leslie, you can find the Best Days for that here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/best-days/parenting/

13 Leslie { 05.22.13 at 10:42 am }

I would like to wean my 21mo baby from the pacifier this weekend(5/25/13 to 6/2/13). Anther lady commented here you need 3 days back to back in the “Knees” Do you think I would be ok trying it with the signs being in Thighs and Knees?

14 kylesmomkf { 04.06.13 at 8:50 pm }

When is the best day to wean my 16 month old off the bottle and how to do it?

15 alanna { 01.08.13 at 10:53 pm }

When is the best time in january to take the pacifier from my 2 yr old

16 Tiffany { 01.08.13 at 4:27 pm }

When would be the best time to wean my 3 year old off the pacifier?

17 Jaime McLeod { 06.07.12 at 1:16 pm }

Emailing you, Maggie.

18 maggie { 06.06.12 at 9:52 am }

WHen is the best time to pull wisdom teeth

19 Jaime McLeod { 01.16.12 at 8:07 am }

Jessica, you can find those dates here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/best-days/parenting/

20 Deanna { 01.15.12 at 11:22 pm }

I have taken 6 children off the bootle by going by the signs being in the knees. YOU NEED 3 BACK TO BACK DAYS. Put all bottles out of sight and just use a sippy cup. They never wanted their bottles again. I am getting ready to take my grandson’s bottle but onkly found 1 day in Feb. where the signs are in place and he will not turn 1 until the first week of Feb. :(

21 Jessica { 01.15.12 at 4:09 am }

Is there a good time to try and
Potty train

22 Jaime McLeod { 12.09.11 at 10:01 am }

Nikki, I’m not sure what you mean by “nothing comes up.” We have a whole separate calender just for weaning and potty training. You can find it here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/best-days/parenting/

December’s dates are the December 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th, 28th, 29th, 30th, and 31st.

23 nikki { 12.07.11 at 5:53 pm }

I tried to check the links for weaning a ba y from breastfeeding but nothing comes up. Can you tell me the dates from now and on? Thank you for your help

24 Jaime McLeod { 12.07.11 at 8:55 am }

sjwood, You’ll find our weaning dates here: http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/best-days/parenting/

25 sjwood { 12.05.11 at 5:04 pm }

when is the best time to wean a baby from a bottle?

26 Jaime McLeod { 11.11.11 at 10:52 am }

Lisa,
I think once you start something like that, it’s best to stick with it. Otherwise you might confuse him and make the transition even harder.

27 Lisa { 11.10.11 at 5:06 pm }

I weaned my son from his pacifier last wednesday, november 2, 2011. It has been one week now and he is an emotional wreck (he was 2 in July). I am wondering about the signs for weaning and what it was that day. Should I give it back to him and try again when the signs are different?

28 Jaime McLeod { 10.31.11 at 8:43 am }

Debbie,
Our Best Days are based on the phase and position of the Moon.

29 debbie mawson { 10.30.11 at 12:52 pm }

why is October 31,2011, not a good weaning date for calves when October 28, 29 & 30 are, and, November 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7th are? thank you.

30 admin { 04.30.11 at 2:06 pm }
31 mindyshunt { 04.30.11 at 12:45 pm }

When would be the best time to wean a child from a pacifier? Also, when would be the best time to begin potty training? This is my first child and all this is new to me. But, I have heard from others that it really works when you go by the signs. Are there any articles that explain this in more detail for me? Thanks!

32 admin { 10.21.10 at 9:13 am }

Hi Beth – Here’s a link to the Best Days to Wean.

33 beth gaston { 10.21.10 at 8:57 am }

My colt foaled April 4, 2010 and I would like to know the best time (October) to wean him. Thanks Beth

34 admin { 09.30.10 at 1:56 pm }

Hi Marci – Here’s the link:Best Days to Wean

35 Marci { 09.30.10 at 1:02 pm }

When is the best time to wean a colt from the mare?

36 admin { 07.17.10 at 9:44 pm }

Hi Betty – Please visit our Zodiac Chart and also see our Best Days to Quit Smoking as well. Hope this info helps!

37 Betty Greenlee { 07.17.10 at 6:59 pm }

I have been told a person can quit smoking lots easier when the ‘signs are in the legs’. Can you tell me how I find out where the signs are? How is this done?

38 Sandi Duncan { 03.23.10 at 2:15 pm }

There is a belief that when you need surgery you should consider dates when the moon is past the zodiac sign that rules that part of the body affected (the
zodiac sign that rules the teeth is Capricorn). During such times,
that part of the body is more resistant to infection, and will heal more
rapidly. The further removed the moon is from the sign ruling the
afflicted part of the body, the better.

Thus according to this if the moon was in the signs of the knees (capricorn) it would be good (of course we also suggest you have your wisdom teeth removed when your doctor/dentist advises). The next time this happens will be April 6-8th.

You follow the signs of the moon on page 93 of the 2010 Farmers’ Almanac.

39 Minnie { 03.22.10 at 6:56 pm }

When is the best time to have your wisdom teeth removed.
My parents suggested when the signs were in the knees.
When will that be?