New Moon

Looking Up: A Stargazer’s Guide to March 2014

Looking Up: A Stargazer’s Guide to March 2014

Here’s a quick look at what’s going on in the sky during the month of March, 2014:

March 1— New Moon, 3:00 a.m. The Moon is not illuminated by direct sunlight.

March 1— Mars begins retrograde motion.

March 8 — First Quarter Moon, 8:27 a.m. One-half of the Moon appears illuminated by direct sunlight while the illuminated part is increasing.

March 9 — Daylight Savings Time begins. Turn clocks forward 1 hour.

March 11 — Moon at apogee (its farthest point to the Earth), 4:00 p.m.

March 16 — Full Moon, 1:08 p.m. The visible Moon is fully illuminated by direct sunlight. Though the Moon is only technically in this phase for a few seconds, it is considered “full” for the entire day of the event, and appears full for three days.

March 20 — Vernal Equinox, 12:57 p.m. The Sun crosses the Equator.

March 22— Venus at greatest elongation west.

March 24— Last Quarter Moon, 9:46 p.m. One-half of the Moon appears illuminated by direct sunlight while the illuminated part is decreasing.

March 27 — Moon at perigee (its closest point to the Earth), 3:00 p.m.

March 30— New Moon, 2:45 p.m. The Moon is not illuminated by direct sunlight.

1 Nailah Baderinwa { 03.10.14 at 7:40 am }

Thank you for such accurate info! Normally I would do all the calculations myself but I have been comparing my calculations with what you have posted (as far as timing of different phases of the Goddess, or “Moon”, as you call her) so close I’ll start relying on your calculations a bit more. THANK YOU!

2 Elizabeth Copeland { 02.28.14 at 11:11 am }

This IS great! First time I’ve seen it… I’ll be back here often to learn more! Thanks, website contributors! : )

3 Andy Baron { 02.27.14 at 7:57 pm }

I love this

4 Jaime McLeod { 02.27.14 at 4:44 pm }

Hi Kevin,
We have been doing this monthly astronomy guide for a few years now.

5 Kevin Fryer { 02.26.14 at 7:21 pm }

I like this feature, and would like to receive it every month if possible. Thank you so much. Kevin