Waning Gibbous

The 2015 Farmers Almanac

October’s Full Hunter’s Moon

Find out why October’s full moon was an important signal to Native Americans as they prepared for the upcoming long winter in this month’s installment of Full Moon Names.

1 annette { 10.22.15 at 6:03 pm }

My grandmother was Cherokee. I was born in Robbinsville, NC, and my great greats hid in the forest, didn’t walk the Trail of Tears. In college history courses that is hardly mentioned and only that the inhuman Andrew Jackson was ‘controversial’. This is all so very wrong but the mistreatment of native peoples, no matter how hot it stirs my blood, does not shake my Christian faith. And God gave us all the light, including the incredible moon. I’m old enough to remember when the stars truly filled the sky too.

2 Inga { 10.22.15 at 2:52 pm }

Are these so called “Christians” any less harmful to the Americans of today? Yes, they are still with us! I do have blood of the Fist American Nations, but also that of later immigrants. Still, I ask the question,

3 Jim { 10.21.15 at 8:13 pm }

.” If ” American history is true, which I take with a grain of salt. What was the real reason the pilgrims left England? If history is true, it was they were escaping from religious persecution. So would it be safe to say these pilgrims were god fearing people? ” Christians ” As real historians have shown, many of these pilgrims either froze or starved to death in the first winters they were here. The American Indians showed the pilgrims how to grow crops how to hunt and basically showed them how to survive here. Once these so called Christians learned these skills the began to slaughter the very people that helped them. I find it amazing in so many ways we still live with pilgrims. So I see why when someone professes to be a Christian the only ones that don’t step back and think …….ummm are they trustworthy are other Christians. I Truly do feel for every American Indian out there, happy hunters moon to you all.

4 Patricia { 10.21.15 at 11:40 am }

Thank you for such an enlightening and informative response. I have always felt the Indians in America were treated poorly by the government and still are in some areas of the US. They have given so much wisdom and knowledge to America on how to respect the land and her people. Now it has become a global issue as to what is happening to the land and environment. Too bad we did not listen back then. Who knows, we might not be in this current state of affairs of playing catch up had we listened. At least people are now being better caretakers of “Mother Earth”.
Love the Full Moon and autumn in her colorful display.

5 Finbar Kuehl { 10.21.15 at 9:21 am }

I honor our Red Brothers every day! It was a fabulous life style, i,e, following the Buffalo for food and clothing. I am currently reading “Geronimo” and his life story. What a Read!
*** See the Movie; “Geronimo” if you can. It sheds light on the shortcomings of the white men (U.S. Army) and their unfair treatment of this proud race.

6 October’s Full Hunter’s Moon http://farm | MYAN { 10.21.15 at 7:07 am }
7 William Whitewolf { 10.07.14 at 11:31 pm }

Attn: Michael Van…
Please consider that the earth just might be 4.5 billion years old, even for a christian.

8 Brian Holzmeier { 10.07.14 at 6:53 am }

Michael, Zaria said they came here from. Not were evolved here. please read for meaning going forward.Interesting article thanks

9 Michael Vanlandingham { 10.07.14 at 1:28 am }

I am a Christian, not an evolutionist. The earth is not 30,000 years old. Please see web address I entering, http://Www.ICR.Org to help your knowledge.

10 Shelia Metcalfe-Farmer { 10.06.14 at 9:31 pm }

Thank you for sharing this, we need to pass this information to the next generation

11 Zaria { 10.06.14 at 10:02 am }

Sioux Indians
The Sioux Indians actually came to North America from the continent of Asia about 30,000 years ago. The name Sioux actually means “little snake”, which was given to the tribe by the Chippewa Indians. The features of Sioux Indians that particularly stand out is their long, straight jet-black hair, representative of people descending from Asia.
Generally, the Sioux Indians were nomadic, meaning that they never really stayed in one place for a very long amount of time. Typically they followed the pattern of the buffalo, assuring them that there would be food and clothing wherever they traveled. The Spanish introduced horses to the Sioux in the 1500’s. Once they began to use horses as a means of carrying articles and transportation, life became much easier, particularly since they were living a nomadic lifestyle. The tribe had chiefs designated for various aspects of life, including war, civil rules, and of course, medicine men. The men of the tribe could become chiefs eventually if they demonstrated strong warrior skills.

So on behalf of my ancestors,I thank you for informing people what the blood moon means.

12 Patch { 10.06.14 at 9:08 am }

Thanks for this item – more please!

13 Diane Marquis { 10.01.14 at 10:39 am }

Thank you for this piece on the hunter’s full moon and the native american history around it!

14 Phyllis { 10.20.13 at 10:12 pm }

Look forward to the education

15 james fischer { 10.17.13 at 9:47 am }

I would surely enjoy receiving your farmer’s almanac and more exciting news in this area.

16 jody stevens { 10.17.13 at 9:17 am }

May my family and I receive God’s Blessing in this Hunter’s Full Moon. Thank you for the information.

17 Michael Amato { 10.16.13 at 4:06 pm }

I believe during the full moon on October 18th, there will be a phenumbral eclipse. There will be a slight darkening on one edge of the full moon. Binoculars will help show were the slight darkening of the eclipse will be.

18 Michael Amato { 10.16.13 at 4:05 pm }

19 Theresa Connors Elliot { 10.16.13 at 8:48 am }

Thank you for the history of the October Full Hunter’s Moon. I look forward to receiving my Farmer’s Almanac e-mail each month with this interesting information. Keep up the great job!