Waning Crescent

The 2016 Farmers Almanac

July’s Full Buck Moon

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post

July is normally the month when the new antlers of buck deer push out of their foreheads in coatings of velvety fur. It was also often called the Full Thunder Moon, for the reason that thunderstorms are most frequent during this time. Another name for this month’s Moon was the Full Hay Moon.

1 Albert { 07.19.16 at 8:12 am }

Whitetail bucks typically shed their antlers in March so late March and April are usually the best time to look for them.

2 Star { 07.19.16 at 7:56 am }

Thank you for the great information about the moon. I have a question to ask and it is when is it the right time of the year to go looking for deers antlers when they start knocking off and also where are some of the best places to look for them? I live in Townsend, Tennessee close to Cave Cove.
Have a great week 🙂
Star

3 Kathy { 07.13.16 at 8:32 am }

As for “blood moons”, back in 1998 our area had a blood moon in early Sept. I remember that I had never seen a moon like that. An elderly relative called everyone and said there would be death and destruction because of the blood moon. During the early morning hours of the next day, we had horrific thunderstorms and winds. Next morning we woke up to no power over the region( almost a week), trees down everywhere,damage to homes and unfortunately some loss of life. We commonly refer to this as our Labor Day Storm. The blood moon story made believers of all of us!

4 Exsta { 07.03.15 at 7:08 am }

My friend had her baby July 2

5 sandi { 07.01.15 at 6:51 pm }

Karen, full moon insomnia. Know it well. My husband always laughs at me.

6 shelley { 07.01.15 at 1:55 pm }

in the ATL area, I would guess that the reddish haze of the moon was due to pollution.

7 byron { 07.01.15 at 1:04 pm }

At the very end of the movie “Disney’s The Kid” is a written explaination. Its due to the earth’s axis not allowing blue light rays from the moon, and only allowing red light waves into our atmosphere.

8 kah281 { 07.01.15 at 12:33 pm }

Last night in Atlanta Metro area we had what appeared to be a full moon but it was VERY red. What does a red moon mean?

9 Theresa { 07.01.15 at 11:56 am }

My mom used to talk about a blood moon and it meant trouble coming. Has anyone heard of it?

10 Kelly { 07.01.15 at 11:20 am }

Carol, when a second full moon occurs in any given month it is called a blue moon. This is the first full moon so it takes on the name/theme/season recognition for this month. It isn’t different this time…it just isn’t the blue moon yet. That will occur July 31st.

11 Carol { 07.01.15 at 10:50 am }

Usually two full moons in one month are called a “blue moon” …..why is this different from those????

12 Katherine Jackson { 07.01.15 at 10:31 am }

have you ever heard of ” blood moons”.

13 Louise Thompson { 07.01.15 at 10:14 am }

Thanks Ilike this a lot.

14 Louise Thompson { 07.01.15 at 10:14 am }

. Thanks for the information. I like this article a lot.

15 Louise R. Thompson { 07.01.15 at 10:11 am }

Thanks for information. I like this.

16 Maria { 07.01.15 at 8:46 am }

Mercury Retrograde is true to its name.it happens three times a year. You should do everything before the Mercury Retrograde. Mercury is the planet of communication,retrograde means backwords.Communication goes backwards..remember with this prefix. RE everyrhing. RE DO, RE ORGANIZE, RE CHECK. DO NOT START ANYTHING NEW .IF YOU STARTED IT BEFORE THE RETROGRADE ITS OK.. Comminication thru technology,sighing important papers,all should be done before or after the retrograde because things will go haywire..important things. Recheck everything a few times…avoid important deals or signing important deals before or after..hope this helps.

17 Randy { 07.01.15 at 8:22 am }

I Like the name Full Buck moon, Sounds great & they are in may corn Bucks !

18 karen { 07.01.15 at 7:37 am }

this is why I’m not sleeping-whenever there is a full moon I don’t sleep 2 days before it and the night of it-so I guess I’ll sleep peacefully tomorrow night

19 zincink { 06.29.15 at 5:59 am }

I am planting by the Moon phases and my squash are doing spectacular.

20 Melissa L. Denby (aka Moecat) { 06.17.15 at 10:39 am }

… but I love being vague! Really I just wanted to say Hi!… I’m in a mood today… I love these kinds of articles…. Thank you for having them… …apologies for the trouble.. I really have nothing interesting or helpful to say regarding anything at this time…
Have A Nice Day…

21 Chris { 07.12.14 at 5:05 am }

Ticia…it’s just wonderful to have a computer isn’t it…did you try doing a “Search” on your question?

Look here: http://www.almanac.com/content/mercury-retrograde

22 Ticia Ulaneck { 07.18.13 at 10:11 pm }

I was wondering if you could do an article on Mercury retrograde. My husband keeps on about it and I thought you might be able to give some insight on it. Thank you.

23 bill meyer { 07.17.13 at 10:00 pm }

Never heard it called FULL BUCK MOON Bill Meyer

24 Jack { 07.17.13 at 11:04 am }

Thanks interesting

If you notice a hole in the upper left-hand corner of your Farmers' Almanac, don't return it to the store! That hole isn't a defect; it's a part of history. Starting with the first edition of the Farmers' Almanac in 1818, readers used to nail holes into the corners to hang it up in their homes, barns, and outhouses (to provide both reading material and toilet paper). In 1919, the Almanac's publishers began pre-drilling holes in the corners to make it even easier for readers to keep all of that invaluable information (and paper) handy.

Winter Is Coming – Sign Up Today!

Get our ALL-ACCESS PASS and get 365 days of access to our online calendars along with a copy of the 2017 Almanac (Now Shipping!) for only $13.99 $11.99!