Full Moon

Do Full Moons Make People Crazy?

Do Full Moons Make People Crazy?

“Must be a full Moon …” is a common utterance whenever things start to get a little crazy. The idea that a full Moon can drive people mad is an old one. Even the word “lunatic,” and its relatives “loon” and “loony,” derive from the Latin word “luna,” meaning “Moon.”

Urban legends abound on the subject of things going haywire around the time of the full Moon. According to contemporary lore, emergency rooms and veterinary offices are busier when the Moon is full, suicide, arson, and violent crime rates increase, patients in psychiatric hospitals act out more, and there are more traffic accidents. Others even attribute medical occurrences, such as women going into labor, epileptic seizures, and sleepwalking to the full Moon. But is it true?

People who believe that Moon phases affect human behavior point out that the human body is about 60% water. If the phase of the Moon can affect ocean tides, and even cause a bulge in the Earth’s crust, surely it would exert an effect of human beings, they reason.

And, of course, one of the most popular features in the Farmers’ Almanac is our Best Days calendar, which recommends specific days to do everything from plant root crops to cut hair for increased growth, based on the phases of the Moon and other factors. Readers swear that they see better results in their endeavors when they follow these recommendations.

Science has taken the question of the full Moon’s effects seriously enough that there have been a number of studies examining the various claims. Nearly all of them have come up empty, though. All have either found no correlation between the Moon and human behavior, or were later debunked by other studies that questioned their methods.

Scientists are also quick to point out that objects on Earth have more effect on one another than the Moon does. Astronomer George Abell famously noted that a mosquito sitting on your arm exerts more gravitational force on your body than the Moon does.

So why the persistent belief, purportedly even among emergency room personnel and police, in the power of the full Moon to bring on crazy behavior? One hypothesis, posed in a 1999 issue of the Journal of Affective Disorders, suggested that sleep deprivation, caused by the brightness of the full Moon, might have worsened existing mental disorders. Once electric lights were invented, the authors said, the effect was negated, which is why modern studies have found no correlation.

Others say the belief has remained strong due to “confirmation bias,” the idea that people favor information that supports their preconceived notions. In other words, if you expect people to act strange during a full Moon, every strange behavior you encounter during a full Moon reinforces that belief.

What do you think? Do you notice people acting crazier around the time of the full Moon? Share your thoughts below!

1 Jenn { 06.01.15 at 5:13 pm }

I work in a trauma center/er at a hospital that has psych service and labor and delivery who all come through the er. I Never know when there is a full moon until our er is full of psych patients! I also notice strange behavior from staff and patients. This past weekend all of those occurances started, and when I checked the calendar low and behold there is a full moon on Tuesday.

2 Lil { 05.31.15 at 11:19 pm }

My husband is a loving and fun person. But he gets moody and weird whenever there is a full moon. Sometimes he becomes all cranky and a little abusive, sometimes he just shuts himself out completely and refuses to talk. Thirty years together and I still find it hard to cope whenever it happens. As much as I hate to believe it has anything to do with the moon, I still check each time it happens…. And there is always a full moon! :(

3 Emily Jane { 05.21.15 at 8:26 pm }

I get super hyper and feel like I need to be active

4 casey { 05.18.15 at 10:27 pm }

I have noticed I am either really extremely stresses out or really extremely happy during a new or full moon…not sure why and I have never even heard of this myth so I believe it…plus if water does it…and we are made of mostly water than it makes sense.we don’t feel the pressure from the moon in just one area like when a mosquito lands….we feel it all over….so picture feeling the pressure of what it would feel like if there were mosquitos all over you…Because that’s what it would actually feel like

5 Virginia Russo { 05.07.15 at 2:16 am }

Idon’t know about anyone else but all those positive ions from themoon always makes mefeel better. I am actually happier and feel more open to positive things

6 Jo Tayor { 05.04.15 at 9:30 pm }

I’ve been a bartender at several different locations & states on & off for nearly 20 years, My experience has been, that anytime there Is a full moon, The whole atmosphere, and attitudes, of employee’s and patrons changes from the “norm”. usually from strange and uncomfortable, To crazy and out of control, Passive ppl become easily agitated, which leads to fist fights….I have never experienced a good and happy or smooth night of bartending during a full moon.

7 Juanita { 05.04.15 at 1:40 pm }

I have seen and experienced the effects of the full moon on people. I worked ER for a long time, as well as Labor and Delivery. More babies are born on the full moon. I’ve witnessed many abnormalities when moon is full.

8 Donna Proffitt { 05.04.15 at 1:36 pm }

I WORKED AT A HOSPITAL, AT FULL MOON, DEATHS WOULD COME IN 3S, 6, & 9S… MORE BABIES WERE BORN DURNING A FULL MOON. PPL HAD MORE HEART ATTACKS IN A FULL MOON WE USE TO KEEP COUNT.. ALSO THE TIDE RISES DURNING THE FULL MOON, WITH IT’S SALT WATER.. OUR BODIES ARE MOSTLY SALT WATER SO THE BLOOD PRESSURE RISES DURNING THAT TIME… THIS HAS BEEN TESTED & COUNTED…

9 M.readinger { 05.04.15 at 11:11 am }

I think all you people who think that the moon effects people all need to see a psych doctor because you’re all fucking crazy. The moon does not effect anyone or anything!!

10 H. Layton { 05.04.15 at 10:01 am }

Come spend one full moon night with me in the Emergency Department………..you will believe!

11 BMac { 05.04.15 at 9:51 am }

I never believed the moon phases had an influence on behavior. When I started working in a jail and in law enforcement, seeing the increase in behavioral issues on the full moon changed my mind.

12 Lori Moon { 05.04.15 at 8:53 am }

I believe it affects all
work with kids some tired and some wired
“we love you to the moon and back”

13 Shion { 05.04.15 at 8:29 am }

I don’t know about the crazies but my daughter and I don’t sleep well. Our energy seems to run a lot higher and I personally find it difficult to relax. When I try to I find that my nerves seem to be bothering me. I itch, toss and turn in bed and if and when I do manage to fall asleep it is a very light sleep.

14 Carol { 05.04.15 at 8:06 am }

20 years in the psych field, experience has taught me, things get a little crazier during the full moon phase

15 kathyinozarks { 05.04.15 at 7:48 am }

I am retired now but I will never forget one late night shift I worked on a full moon which was also halloween nite–as a telephone operator-I have never forgotten that night-was a very crazy night for sure lol

16 dorothy { 05.04.15 at 7:44 am }

The full moon has no more effect than the new moon. What makes people crazy is daylight savings time, especially with the last 2 month extension. We just need to go back to standard time for the entire year.

17 Cathy { 05.04.15 at 7:30 am }

I’ve been an elementary school teacher for 24 years, and I promise you, I can tell when there’s a full moon by the change in my students’ behavior.

18 Elaine { 05.04.15 at 7:10 am }

Well, I so disagree, I’ve been in customer service 40+ years, & ALWAYS the week heading toward the full moon, the “crazies” are out more…plus there was a full moon on just this past week May 3rd, and last week as usual I had so many crazy phone calls & look at all that’s been happening in the news..you’ll never convince me..the full moon does affect people ..and it affects me too..last Friday I felt it..!

19 Nurse C { 05.04.15 at 7:01 am }

Anyone who doesn’t think there is a difference in people’s behavior has obviously never worked in a nursing home. The results of this study would have been more accurate if the scientists would have either worked or visited during a full moon.

20 Holly Kennedy { 05.04.15 at 7:01 am }

I’m a floral designer and we always seen an increase of funeral work with a full moon.

21 Beverly Allen { 05.04.15 at 6:25 am }

I worked for a police department many years ago, and it was guaranteed that the wackos would be calling in on a full moon!! Every time!! So don’t try telling me there’s no correlation!! I know there is!!

22 Suzanne White { 05.04.15 at 5:19 am }

Working for directory assistance there was always off the wall calls during the full moons. Check with the FBI. See if they get more calls during the full moon…for one example.

23 Juanita { 05.04.15 at 1:58 am }

I have a hard time relying on studies because they more often than not slant towards who pays for them. I also don’t understand why science thinks it can explain everything. While working in a call center for 6 years I could tell without looking at the calender when a full moon is about to happen. About 2-3 days before and after a full moon is when customers started getting really cranky and weird. Myself and about 300 other agents can tell you that. When doctors and nurses also see things happening more during a full moon and they are scientists too, it doesn’t take a bloody brain surgeon to know there is something to it.

24 Ginger { 05.03.15 at 10:41 pm }

Did anyone bother to read the comment by Peter Chandler that explains it? This is what I learned a long time ago and makes perfect sense. I notice it before a storm, a wind, a full moon. ,
Check out this awesome explanation!

25 Anisa { 05.03.15 at 10:39 pm }

I think the Scientists are the ones who aren’t doing good science. Sorry but they can’t explain MIDDLE of the WINTER hatchings of flies in South Dakota that ALWAYS happen on the full moon and the day before & after (a few more will hatch). This happens each and every month year round at our town hall, which has a dirt cellar under it. Also happens with my house, which also has a dirt cellar. They don’t emerge any other time of the month!

So while Scientists may not have yet figured out a way to tract it or can’t explain the incidents, its not that its not true…. Its that THEY the “scientists” haven’t found a “reason” to explain it away. Reality, SCIENTISTS are people too. I’ll trust what I observe which is coming from nature over some theory made by a dude sitting in a cubical justifying his or her theory.

26 Ginger { 05.03.15 at 10:38 pm }

As the parent of special needs children I absolutely know there is something to this phenomenon. From 2 days before to 2 days after a full moon we can count on more outbursts, meltdowns and craziness than any other time. I fon’t know ehat it is, but it absolutely affects behaviors.

27 Shanna { 05.03.15 at 10:13 pm }

I myself sleep on full moons as if I have a newborn baby where I am asleep but not really. In my past working as a CNA in alf the people tend to do off the wall things?! I loved reading all the comment s on this

28 M. Saunders { 05.03.15 at 9:59 pm }

I taught special education for 30 years. Three days before and 3 days after the full moon, the kids would be strange “crazy”. One mother insisted on not putting mayonnaise on her child’s sandwhich during the full moon because it contained nickle and the nickle in the body was affected. Magnetic fields were responsible for the behavior.

29 Judy { 05.03.15 at 9:55 pm }

I worked detox for a number of years. Full moon – look out. The intoxicated and “loonies” are very active., We always filled up near or on full moon. There were times when I tried not to be on call during the full moon.

30 Jon { 05.03.15 at 9:55 pm }

I know fishing is always great on a full moon night. The fish gorge themselves. Results in poor fishing the following day.

31 Kira { 05.03.15 at 9:51 pm }

Its due to bio rhythms from everything in our universe shifting effecting us biologically including our tissues and spiritual souls…it is true the moon’s pattern affect us as a human race and it is good to be aware, so we may curb our energy and not become the werewolf.

32 Mary { 05.03.15 at 9:48 pm }

My husband and I owned a bar and there was an increase in arguments and potential fights during the full moon. Also, my children have each had there children during the full moon, 1-3 weeks early

33 rosiebuttons { 05.03.15 at 3:54 pm }

This afternoon I have suffer 6 hours of my grandson ranting. Thought I would check the moon. Spot on as always when he acts like this. Its full

34 Marie { 04.05.15 at 10:37 pm }

I believe in the full moon, just the last 2days I have been hateful. And that just isnt me.I’ve noticed it the last 2days I am just mean, so I stay away from everyone.

35 brittney { 04.05.15 at 4:27 pm }

I don’t know if it would be crazy, maybe someones reaching out and there bodies are fighting against it… Either confused or not ready!! Jesus might not be here physically but he lives in us in our souls!! Or whatever u believe in… im staying mutual, not choicing sides because we all wanna be excepted!!

36 Debbie C { 04.05.15 at 11:56 am }

Many of my family have worked in nursing homes over the years and they have always noticed a big difference when a full moon comes. The wild life such as wolves are more active also. I don’t know what happens but something does change.

37 pat { 04.05.15 at 9:11 am }

I feel weird at a full moon. When I wake up my clothes are all torn. I grow lots of hair. My teethgrow realy big and my finger nail s turn into claws. Howlllllll

38 Frank C. { 04.05.15 at 12:49 am }

Since the scientific studies say that the full moon doesn’t cause people to do weird things, they probably don’t. The studies make observations like everyone else makes. They just do it in a more accurate way. They can use statistics, like finding the number of people who go to the emergency room on days with full moon versus day when the moon is not full. They quantifiy it such a way that confirmation basis or something like that doesn’t effect the study. Scientific studies are a lot more accurate than just saying that you notice something. If you can accurately prove that the moon causes people to do weird things then do it. Scientists would thank you, because we are always excited to learn new things.

39 S.Bayard { 04.04.15 at 10:36 pm }

Back in our days on the force, more accidents and fights at the Huntingdon chateau were seen at the rise of the full moon.i truly believe it effects people differently.

40 Kathy { 04.04.15 at 9:09 pm }

I live in a rural area, animals are more active, there are more dead animals in the road, rabbits & such, even a couple of days after the full moon ends. I’m 63, I am more restless now when I go to bed, harder to go to sleep.
There are changes with a full moon!!!!!

41 Valarie { 04.04.15 at 6:48 pm }

I Truly believe there is a difference in peoples behaviors during a full moon. I personally have felt strange as one approaches. I start to feel it 2 to 3 days before one. I get very emotional, cry for no reason and on several occasions I will feel angry at the smallest of things. I never really thought much about it when I was younger, i just thought I was a bit weird and sometimes not sure what was going on. About 10 years ago I started monitoring my behavior, emotions and thoughts around the full moon and sure enough every single month just 2 to 3 days before, all my emotions, etc would spike. Most definitely it is the moon.

42 Stacy { 04.04.15 at 6:09 pm }

I fully support the notion that things get crazier during a full moon. The question is what about a new moon? There are the 2 times during a month that the Earth, Moon and Sun are in alignment. This is also the time during the month that high and low tides are highest. So…the gravitational force is stronger at BOTH of those times of the month, not JUST during a full moon. Responses/ideas welcome!! Science is my thing…thinking out loud, I guess!

43 Leslie { 04.04.15 at 3:49 pm }

Without a doubt there is a correlation between the full moon and behaviors. I was a bartender for years and yes, many more weirdos arrive during the full moon, as well as manny more fights. I have been a nurse for 8+ years now and I DEFINITELY without a doubt have many more behavioral issues with my patients during the full moon. So much so that I dread going to work during this period.

44 Sally Neel { 04.04.15 at 2:52 pm }

I’ve always heard of an increase in births attributed to the full moon, but none of my four children were born around a full moon. Also, having worked with the public since college, waiting tables and in psych wards, I’ve never noticed worse behavior related to moon phases.

45 eric { 04.04.15 at 2:38 pm }

I personally feel affected by the full moon. Not sure why but it affects me.

46 Nurse R. { 04.04.15 at 12:43 pm }

I have no idea what causes it, and it doesn’t matter. As a nurse for almost 30 years, I can say without a doubt- there is more insanity, stupidity, injury and crazy when there is a full moon!

47 Nellie { 04.04.15 at 12:21 pm }

Absolutely. People be craxy and wild.

48 Sue { 04.04.15 at 12:18 pm }

read the obits after a full moon….many many more than normal. I love watching an enchanting full moon in all its glory, but I have great respect for it. YES. It’s presence is made clear in many ways.

49 B.Higie { 04.04.15 at 11:48 am }

I teach school, and our kids are louder the it behavior is outrageous at this time. I was also a bartender for a long time, and full moon plus alcohol is a dangerous

50 M. D. Pruitt { 04.04.15 at 11:07 am }

YES…YES…YES…I 100% believe the FULL moon phase has an effect on humans…step inside a classroom and poll any teacher…your response will always be “Yes”…student behaviors are at their all time worse during a full moon…it is a cycle that can be documented month after month…

51 Joan { 04.04.15 at 9:27 am }

Yes I worked in a Care Home for many years, I always hated to hear we were going to have a full moon, the Residents definitely were harder to take care of.

52 Peter Chandler { 04.04.15 at 9:16 am }

Could be the moon’s effect on air ionisation levels?

53 SuzieQue1 { 04.04.15 at 9:11 am }

I worked in a hospital admitting department on 2nd shift once. Every full moon we had more women admitted for labor and delivery. It got busier then.

54 Mimi { 04.04.15 at 8:46 am }

Hang out with a mortician, 911 dispatcher, police officers or EMS during a full moon. You will see a difference!

55 A Schumm { 04.04.15 at 8:26 am }

If you are a teacher, you believe!!!! 😉

56 Lee { 04.04.15 at 7:25 am }

Oh and there is supposed to be a blood moon today! 4-4-2015! (Eclipse!) Heralding change!!!!

57 Lee { 04.04.15 at 7:22 am }

Yes, I think there is truth in the relationship between behavior and a full moon! Of course, people have trouble with mental and emotional problems every day, but I’ve worked with the public for many years and a full moon does appear to heighten behaviors as well as create other behaviors that do not seem typical for each person! I think some people may be more sensitive to lunar cycles than others just like allergies or weather changes bringing on migraines! Just because science can’t explain it, or not yet anyway, does not make it not true!!!

58 julie { 04.04.15 at 5:36 am }

Yes most definitely. Ask any psychiatric nurse or any health care worker and they will tell you the same. Oh the stories I could tell.

59 Jane { 04.04.15 at 2:20 am }

absolute truth !! The full moon has a huge impact on us!!

60 Isobel { 04.04.15 at 12:56 am }

In a way, I do believe it has some form of influence upon us. And damn Ethan Klauser, what happened to you?? :/

61 Heather { 04.04.15 at 12:11 am }

Absolutely!!! I know, can feel if there is GOING to be a moon out when I am indoors and haven’t stepped outside, early morning/afternoon. I will tell my sons, “there is a moon out, go look”. Sure enough, moon. And it’s not the full moons that get me, it’s the partial moons leading up to the full moon is the worst, for me anyway. But I most definately FEEL different!!!! Also my cats and dog act very strange! It’s this aura. I for one do not like how I feel, and actually try to plan around them. Conclusion in my opinion, true, true and true!

62 Jim { 04.03.15 at 11:47 pm }

Just go to any automobile race held during a full moon and you will see increased wrecks and and possibly fights, even in the stands.. It’s even been announced during NASCAR races by announcers commenting that “it’s a full moon so expect a lot of cautions and crazy drivers tonight”.

63 judi Crawford { 04.03.15 at 11:36 pm }

Full Moon=Craziness

64 Candi { 04.03.15 at 11:28 pm }

I believe this to be true. When I worked in the nursing home the residents would act a little crazier on the full moon’s. It seems to mess with people’s minds.

65 Mayrine { 04.03.15 at 10:54 pm }

Well, the moon regulates a lot of things here on earth….It is strong enough to regulate the tides, and they are salt water. What is the human body made of but 90% saline water? How can it not affect us?

66 M Johnson { 04.03.15 at 10:51 pm }

As an elementary teacher, I firmly believe that the full moon brings out behaviors in my students that I don’t see at other times. Most teachers will confirm that the full moon brings out the crazy in children.

I also live on a farm and notice a distinct difference in the behavior/demeanor of my animals during the full moon.

67 N.k. { 04.03.15 at 10:40 pm }

in Healthcare, full moon nights are almost always busier, with more bizarre behavior from patients. No study will sway what experience has taught me. Unfornately, I work this full moon overnight. I’m already bracing for it. UGH.

68 S. Cartwright { 04.03.15 at 10:24 pm }

I teach at the secondary level, but teachers at all levels generally accept that student behavior will be considerably altered (for the worse) during a full moon. If they’re acting wild, that’s one of the things we check, and often, indeed, it’s a full moon.

69 Rick { 03.07.15 at 12:04 pm }

As to the question of this blog… I think it is extreme to say the full moon makes people crazy… My opinion in regards to it having a effect on people are this. Some people are more effected than others. Some are not effected at all. Also take note as it could also depend on time of your life and the bio chemistry of the individual at that time. This has been my experience and opinion that’s all.

70 Ethan Klauser { 01.20.15 at 2:12 pm }

I blacked out. That resulted in 6 screws in my hand, 2 split tendons. And 5 staples in my head. 8 people and 4 separate 30,000 volt tasers were required to stop what I was doing. I hurt my love, and actually scared the ghetto of fort wayne.. Someone who witnessed me and felt sorry for me, saI’d that it looked like I was trying to pull myself out of my own skin. I just now realized that the Moon was full that night.

71 betty garcia { 01.11.15 at 4:07 pm }

my husband will start picking on lil things with me about 2-3 days befor the moon is full. from then on, i cant say any thing, he will get mad, so we just dont talk for a few days till the moon is amost doun,then he starts being calm and nice and loving, but his moods is driving me crazy to live like that, but i guess he cant help it,,,,

72 Anna { 01.06.15 at 2:18 pm }

I do believe full moons cause crazy things to come about. On this full moon I was at my friends house and her family was being very negative all night till the next day. My friends dad just kept upsetting his kids by saying the rudest things for no reason he was just super upset. The days before he was fine and happy. also full moons affect goes on for plus or minus 5 days from the full moon.

73 sooz. { 01.05.15 at 1:25 pm }

Maybe certain starsigns are affected? Mine’s cancer and I’m definitely affected..

74 Hayley { 01.04.15 at 3:43 pm }

I truely believe a full moon creates a braver person on a temp basis. My husband is usually very laid back, making me the decision maker in our relationship. When the full moon appears, so does my bigger braver husband and I really don’t like that guy. Without doubt, there is a connection, which in turn makes for a very unhappy home :-(

75 RayRay { 12.06.14 at 11:52 pm }

The moon changes me. I never get headaches, but every once in a while I would get a killer headache that makes my head want to EXPLODE!!! I had no idea that it was because of the moon until I documented the dates of these weird headaches only to find out it was only during the full moon that I would have this pain. It sucks. Tonight’s a full moon, and I didn’t know until after the headache started:(. I hate it.

76 Kearston Henley { 11.05.14 at 6:33 pm }

I truly believe the moon affects me. During the week of the change i notice my behavior starts to change. I get very emotional and very angry and depressed. I feel worthless and useless. My family walks on egg shells around me because they never know when i am going to flip out. It is even worse if i am pmsing while the moon changes. Everyone thinks i am crazy but i know i am not. I can be driving at night and look at the moon when it is almost full and i feel the anger in mr rise. Why do it affect me so. Just last night i flipped out because my husband asked me if my son turned his space heater off. I went crazy over that hitting walls and doors tried flipping my bed over screaming at him all because he asked me a question. I reall need help and i dont know where to get it. I try to control my temper but i just loose it. Idk what to do

77 jennifer Tudor { 10.12.14 at 6:46 pm }

I’m convinced the moons faze has an effect on the human body & brain as well as on animals.

78 Rhonda { 10.08.14 at 4:04 pm }

I am a firm believer that a full moon makes some people crazy, my husband has proven this to me for over 27 years, he gets angry over things he has created in his head that are truly not the truth, (he makes things up to bitch about) even the day before a full moon this behavior begins and will end tomorrow, the day after the full moon, then he will act as if he has not done or said anything wrong. In the meantime I walk around in a fog because he upsets me so much. So I do not care what the scientists say I believe it does affect some behavior. Even when I worked at a local Animal Hospital all the weird people came out on a full moon.

79 Vanessa { 10.08.14 at 12:28 am }

I never say “it’s a full moon people are going to act crazy” but when I notice too many people acting moody or crazy on the same day 9 times out of 10 there’s a full moon. Today was one if those days

80 Marj { 10.06.14 at 1:32 pm }

Science is not absolute. There are many instances of things happening that science or medicine would pooh-pooh, but how many coincidences can there be about one topic. I may not have experienced a full moon mania, but that doesn’t mean it’s an old wives tale, either. Human experience counts for much. Science once thought the world was flat, science once thought it was not possible to fly to the moon, science once thought that women were not as intelligent as men. All these things have been proven not to be true. How many stories have you read about children borne with abnormalities and the doctors said things like, that child will never be able to do anything, don’t take the baby home, better to institutionalize the baby and be done with it. The parents ignore the advice and the child ends up doing many of the things it was predicted it would never do.

81 Sulla { 10.06.14 at 12:01 pm }

The dean of students at the high school where I taught kept a log of student misbehavior and during a full moon, the students craziness skyrocketed.

82 tynypups { 10.06.14 at 11:48 am }

I have read your comments and I must tell you all that after working in many fields, law enforcement, transportation etc., that the moon phases can and DO affect life on this planet, animal, vegetable, and elements. Remember, all legends have a beginning and truth to them, enough so that over the last 5000 years or so, patterns have been recorded and handed down thru time that give credence and credibility to lunar effects on our planet and all that dwell on it . No matter what facts or apparent facts are presented, there will always be someone that tries to manipulate or twist the facts to support a negative or opposite view usually to gain some sort of notoriety or gain to fame for themselves. Just the facts mam and only the facts, as Joe Friday used to say! The long standing history of the same has proven the truth of such legends and instead of arguing who is right or not, just research the phenomenon before going out on a limb on such a debate, then relax, sit back and enjoy what is a truly amazing event and revel in our incredible universe and the happenings that surround us all! Also, for those that feel the need to harm or cause harm to urself or others, the fact that you have recognized this feeling means you have the control within yourself to prevent it and you are responsible for you actions that follow. Quit relying on others to know what you are feeling or thinking, and take responsibility for what you are and are doing! Go to a mental health facility and check yourself in ASAP!! I you wont do that, lock yourself away and throw away the key until you can preform as a responsible human being once more! Life is not always fair, there are ups and downs all the time. Learn how to control your emotions and behave like a decent person should and quit putting the blame somewhere else and place it where it belongs, squarely on YOU!

83 wendy { 09.11.14 at 12:10 am }

Hi, I’ve been a registered nurse on the graveyard shift for 18 years. I can definitely say that weird behaviors, falls, mental breaks, and just odd courses of events always happen in greater numbers during the full moon. Often we have to check to see if we’re IN a full moon, since many of our staff work double shifts and arrive when it’s daylight out. When the craziness starts, and doesn’t up, that’s when we say ??”Is it a full moon?”…and sure enough it is!!

84 DMama { 08.14.14 at 2:39 pm }

I’ve also believed the full moon has an effect on people. Behaviors change and when I worked in hospitals birth rates were higher, as well as ER visits. Also, sadly did anyone correlate that Robin Williams took his life the night of the SuperMoon? Could be a coincidence…

85 Katherine { 08.12.14 at 6:07 pm }

They keep you centered and make it easier to grip snow in turns.
Or you have a bad day which means you end up eating chips, donuts
and chocolate while watching a film and all the time your self esteem drops lower and lower, in fact if
it went any lower it was hit the opposite side of the world.

– Once you have made the decision to end it, there may be moments
when you’re tempted to change your mind and go back on it.

86 henry Angelo { 08.11.14 at 8:07 am }

i feel terriblly depressed and also aggressive during full moon…I need serious help before I
hurt seriously someone unintentionally…Henry Angelo

87 Omar { 08.10.14 at 10:28 pm }

I don’t know man!! i feel like crazy this evening, something isn’t right . the energy in me is out of control. i feel stronger and alive. i don’t know how to describe this. this never happened to me before. does any of you feel the i same tonight? i live in GA

88 Olya { 08.10.14 at 10:50 am }

Something wrong is going on with me while the full moon is up! Im not able to control my emotions. Im was going to cancel my wedding which is in a month!

89 robert gioia { 08.10.14 at 3:17 am }

ya gotta know its true! OOOOOOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

90 Liz { 07.20.14 at 11:01 am }

Hi, I’m in the service industry and work in bars serving drinks. I never pay attention to whether the moon is full or not. But at the end of the day it becomes clear to me as I say “all the crazies are out, it must be a full moon” and someone replies “it is a full moon.” Usually it’s a two day thing. But I notice people acting strangely weird on full moons then other days. And this happens at every bar I work at. All the weird people come out. It’s like they come out by the light of the moon instead of the sun because they’re well weird and it would make sense for them to do that. And on top of that these crazies are getting drunk. Anyways yes crazies come out on a full moon. They do.

91 Sonia Lipham { 07.13.14 at 7:15 am }

My husband is a fireman in a rural area and yesterday with a closer to earth than normal full moon there were the highest number of calls for one day since the beginning of the year. Also the calls were more varied than usual starting with a home death at 4 in the morning, lost in a lake, two accidents with injuries, two w/o injuries, fire in interstate weight station, woods fire, etc.

92 Trish { 07.11.14 at 4:32 am }

I will be 61 years old tomorrow and as far back as I can remember the full moon has affected me greatly. I get more moody, sensitive, it’s wild. I feel like actually going outside and howling at it! Science can do all the studies they want, I know how it makes me feel!

93 Steve { 06.14.14 at 2:54 am }

Maybe we are chosen / special people. It (the moon) affects me very much.

94 Donna { 06.13.14 at 6:05 am }

My 1st husband noticed I seemed to have 2 PMS’s during a month sometimes. My co-workers pointed out that I only made “bonehead” mistakes right before a full moon. Many times over the years people would point these oddities out to me. I had no idea the first 30 years of my life until a lady told me to watch the lunar cycles. She said I am probably displaying these behaviors usually the week before a full moon. I brushed it of as hocus pocus but as the years progressed I began to take notice. There was a direct correlation. Well there was no denying it then. I like to consider myself an amateur scientist so I researched it. There doesn’t seem to be any hard evidence supporting it, but I am most certain it affects me. Now my bosses affectionately highlight the week before a full moon for every month of every year for the last 9 years. They call them “Donna’s special week” and every one knows what it is. Perhaps a new study needs to be conducted because it is real.

95 Dani { 06.13.14 at 4:04 am }

The full moon has major effects on my mood and not in a positive way. Like tonight for example, the slightest things were setting me off and I was filled with this overwhelming feeling to cry and that is not normal for me. After reading many posts here, I feel as though i’m not alone. This has been happening to me for years during full moons. Sometimes my moods are so off and later I will realize it was a full moon and everything makes sense. I don’t know how it affects us as humans, but it most definitely does. I’ve always been very aware of my body and emotions and I sense the slightest changes in them. During full moons, things are always different for me and it almost makes me want to just have a calm night at home instead of being out and about because so many crazy things happen on those nights.

96 Terrence Boveja { 06.11.14 at 8:46 am }

We’re really content.As soon as I became member of this web site I acquired a welcome message from the administrator.

97 Mneer { 06.02.14 at 4:39 am }

Thats way prophet Mohummed use to fast during the 3 night of full moon to controll that
It is related to the fluid in the human body
He knew that 1400 years ago

98 D Hamilton { 05.14.14 at 9:08 am }

I can tell when it is a full moon without even looking just by the way my husband is acting. We have so many senseless arguments during the full moon days than any other time of the week. For instance, it has been cloudy this week and every single day as of Tuesday of this week there has been a “discussion” on our way to work. This morning he picked up a bottle and asked me “what is this?” When I answered; it’s a bottle the argument began and continued all the way to work, not to mention his disputes with the people he worked with yesterday. When I got to work I pulled up the moon cycle and sure enough…full moon! I have marked my calendar with all of the instances and it is almost a 100% sure bet that if he is being unreasonably irritable it will be during a full moon.

Maybe not everyone is affected by the moon cycles but you will have a hard time convincing me that doesn’t affect my husbands mood or behavior.

99 Gregg { 04.15.14 at 2:13 am }

Doesn’t anybody on this web site believe in science? Read “Psychology Today’s” comment on this subject.

100 Celina Wilson { 02.28.14 at 3:59 am }

the last full moon we had, I only noticed because demands from clients are so much more needy and frantic. Today, same thing, I had an abnormally stressful day at work trying to meet demands of clients and partners, I thought to myself “can’t be a full moon, we just had one” but low and behold, a new moon. Coincidence? I believe not, we are all connected to the universe after all.

101 Jaime McLeod { 02.26.14 at 1:54 pm }

Sorry, no, melainy, that’s a popular myth. The amount of water in the human body ranges from 50-65% with 60% being about average.

102 melainy { 02.26.14 at 10:57 am }

Our bodies are about 80% water actually.

103 Fanfaron { 01.30.14 at 6:47 am }

My aunt and uncle worked at a sanitarium in Chicago many years ago, but I remember hearing them say that when there was a full moon, the place truly went much crazier than usual! Not exactly ‘scientific’, but I believe they knew what they were talking about.

104 niki e { 01.14.14 at 1:42 am }

FMS= Full Moon Syndrome. This is what my family says I have about 3 days before the full moon. No reason why, but very similar actions and feeling to PMS which I no longer get. I wish more studies would be done to figure out the reason. Im definately curious. Its my body…why wouldnt I be? And its not a medical question I can just ask my doctor. Kinda frustrating.

105 Markea K. { 01.13.14 at 9:37 pm }

I was feeling really wacky this week, acting more energetic and kind of mannerless. It was the same with my brothers, and my parents have been tired and grouchy. When I went to school much of the class was also more obnoxious than usual, and my teacher mentioned that there was going to be a full moon that night. I asked her what that mattered, and she swore that the worst day of class was almost always on the day of a full moon. Sure enough the moon is full tonight. I don’t know how this can be true, but I can’t honestly not believe there is some truth in it. Weird and kinda scary.

106 chris { 12.15.13 at 10:12 am }

i always became highly aware when the moon was over head. I think scientists are partially right: its not the fullness of the light hitting the noon, rather the position of the moon in relation to the person…I’ve noticed, since ive moved states that i and my son become affected when the noon is overhead, full or not…..my son especially. If women’s menstrual cycle is run by the moon and the entire animal kingdom, then yes, the moon can drives us ” crazy”

107 Sandy Hughes { 10.21.13 at 6:58 am }

I believe the full moon does affect behavior. I’ve been evaluating, on my own, the episodes that my husband is having, and it seems that on every full moon, I can count on an altercation, conflict or other episode from him. He had a traumatic brain injury about 30 years ago and also has, what I believe to be untreated ADD or ADHD. He pretty much goes nuts and over the top about th most unimportant things. He yells, blames, and treats me like I’m his enemy. Just 2 days ago he was pretty normal, but now that the moon is full all of you know what has broken loose. It’s to the point that I dread this time of the month, sort of like a man dreads a woman’s cycle time or menopause symptoms. Iove him, but these episodes make me want to leave and be done with it. So, yes…I am a true believer that the moon is a factor in how people behave, especially those who already have an issue they are dealing with.

108 ajohnson { 10.21.13 at 12:27 am }

I’ve worked 4 years as an ICU nurse. It 100% is true there are more admissions, code blues, but the worst is the crazy behavior.Usually shown in patients That are already baseline confused like dementia, or withdrawling.They go crazy I mean to the point of violence. You can Care for the same patient for 3 days but the night of full moon they are uncontrolled.Even medications do almost nothing for them.It would seem coincidental but every month the full moon night is the same. It’s like the entire unit is in an up roar.Families are in shock by how their loved ones act.Next night they are totally different!!!

109 Kara { 10.16.13 at 9:40 pm }

hello I have a problem so my mom goes crazy on full moons so I thought I would look it up to see if it was normal but today she drenk four shots of coffee on top of it I wonderd if enyone has the same situation WISH ME LUCK:)

110 s john { 10.16.13 at 8:32 pm }

I have no choice but to respect the moon cycle- and work WITH it. I can’t sleep on the days leading up to and just after a full moon.. so i don’t. I Get a lot of stuff done.. clean out the closet, paint the garage,watch a movie marathon or Dance all night! All that extra energy around- channel it into something amazing! I don’t think it has as much impact on everyone– but if you feel that higher vibration of everything around you… I’d suggest not letting yourself worry about sleepless nights, you may not really feel as tired the next day anyway. If you are one of the full moon crazies– own it.

111 T. Fan { 09.18.13 at 2:05 am }

I work at a grocery store and it always seems that on the day of a full moon every other customer has a complaint or tries to start something with my fellow coworkers. I remember one particular day when our customers were going bonkers and every other customer was raising a stink about something or another, and one of our cashiers said “it must be a full moon… Or at least getting close to one… They always act this way on a full moon”. when I got home that night, I looked up at the sky and sure enough, the moon was full. The next day, our customers were back to normal.

112 Dev { 08.22.13 at 1:58 am }

I think it has everything to do with our sleep patterns during the full moon phase. Scientist have said human sleep patterns are out of wack during the full moon. I know I get cranky during a full moon because of lack of sleep. It is not something I was aware of but it makes perfect sense. Lack of sleep would make anyone crazy.

113 patti { 08.20.13 at 9:35 pm }

I have anxiety (panic attacks)….and ALWAYS during a full moon…I get very anxious. I feel very “out of sorts.”…..does anyone else ever feel this way????

114 michelle { 07.29.13 at 10:27 pm }

I get very agitated and do not go to clubs or parties because
I feel as if the full moon creates bad energy But Im also restless and don’t like to stay in

115 T.Burt { 07.23.13 at 2:26 am }

My dad when I was a child, used to make jokes that I was a werewolf because I would get easily aggitated, stir crazy, extra emotion al and nearly feel as if I wanted to get out of my skin, so I would find trouble somewhere to get into. I really never paurd much attention to it assuming it was because of my menstrual cycles. 15 yrs now my children and Hubby have marked it on tje calender 2 days preciding a full my I get extremly irritable and restless. When it is full I have my menstrual cycle and nearly feel as if I am a female dog in heat the last 2 supermoons. Tonight on my cycle but during our supermoon I almost couldn’t force myself to come home was insistent in driving till I ended up sonewhere, and an urge to do things I shouldn’t. To say in the least

116 justme { 06.23.13 at 3:28 am }

I work in a hospital…whenever there is increased activity/caos I look up “full moon,the month and the year it is…sure enough Im right on the dot!

117 ashesx { 06.20.13 at 10:49 pm }

yep…I usually get affected by a full moon…usually a couple of days before the actual full moon…more stressed or angry…another twist though, if I am aware there is a full moon about to happen, then I am affected less……1 thing is sure, a full moon DOES have an affect on many people regardless of what ‘science’ has found…

118 Cindy { 06.06.13 at 9:45 pm }

I have days every so often that I am just in a bad mood–for no reason. I’m sad, etc. It happens all the time. I’m like so many people and I always say, “is it a full moon or something?”. Funny thing is, I finally started keeping track of my moods when this happens. And, it is ALWAYS a full moon or just about one. I know the scientists and others say that there is no correlation between a full moon and “crazy people”, but I think they are just plain wrong! I always find people seem more mean around this time. I am never aware ahead of time when it is a full moon coming up–I don’t pay too much attention to it, but every time I feel this way, it just always happens to be a full moon.

119 I was a bartender Nevada for years it would get crazy and I would walk outside and every time it would be a full moon, I also get your emotional day or two before a full moon like clockwork and I never even know it's going to be fulle science me say what { 05.24.13 at 11:46 pm }

I was a bartender in Nevada for years it would get crazy I would walk outside and it would be a full moon every time, I also get very emotional the day or two before a full moon like clockwork and I never even know it’s going to be full, science may say what it wants but I know what is true!

120 Rossanna { 05.23.13 at 2:38 pm }

I have always believed that Humans are affected by the full moon. Hence the term “LUNAtic.” Luna means Moon. When my children were young, I would always make them aware of the full moon if they were hanging out with friends, and emphasize being aware of the crazies. I have now convinced my co-workers that the full moon has an affect on us. The energy in our office always gets tense and certain people get very moody a few days before the full moon. Just yesterday they said, it must be a full moon, we looked at the calendar, and sure enough it’s three days before. I agree that, “the moon would affect us humans as we are 60% water, and as above, if the tides in the oceans are affected than us mere humans would be too!” There is nothing we can do about it, just embrace being Human, and be aware.

121 TANeary { 05.13.13 at 10:38 am }

i for one have seen my mood change during the full moon, but not always for the worst. from how I’ve seen other people act during the full moon in my highschool and that i’ve done my self during the full moon, its more so that peoples moods go to an extreme around the full moon, its odd but ii cant help not noticing it

122 A. Jenkins { 04.26.13 at 4:12 am }

I myself work in a bar. I can tell you on nights of a full moon people are crazier. Last night someone tried to hit my barback for no reason. When there is a full moon no matter what there’s more too clean and more fights than usual. That even goes for the ones that fall on weekdays.

123 Craig Denmark { 03.27.13 at 7:33 pm }

My past two partners have both said that my mood changes and i become very aggressive but not violent and eat alot more when theres a full moon it took a few years to realuse itvwas a fulll moon when my mood would be very differant, they both thought i had a male period every month. Seems very real to me now.

124 Chuckles { 02.20.13 at 12:08 am }

I think less before I act on full moons, only it’s before I knew it was a full moon.

125 Natalie { 01.27.13 at 9:23 pm }

I totally feel angry and hopeless. Everytime a full moon comes, I do however writer very passionate poems. It seems to aleviate the feelings of maddness going on in my head. I think anyone that does creative things, could probably make a masterpiece when there is a full moon due to the intensity in thier moods:)

126 tiffany { 01.27.13 at 1:16 am }

The full moon effects me in a restless, aggravated, painful moods……i do have existing mental illnesses……but why does it effect our brain so negatively?

127 Chris tarleron { 01.26.13 at 12:06 am }

I must say the moom must have an effect on the mimd in some shape or form. Im usually one of the happiest guys youd ever meet but, when theres a full moon i get incredibly depressed and i get about two three hours of sleep.(thats after hours of rolling back and forth). And oddly enough i swear i heard voices wispering tonight, and i have the strongest urge to just go mad and break things. Never been this bad before ever thats why i searched tje web to see if others get the sameway. The lunar insomnia has been going on for years but i feel like im going bleepin crazy tonight. If N e one has any insight plz share.

128 Matt { 12.02.12 at 8:53 pm }

Anyone that has worked in retail or customer service knows that full moons do affect people. The crazies come out in force and people are much more aggitated. You get these normally but never in the amount or severity than when there is a full moon.

129 theresa { 11.29.12 at 5:25 pm }

I work in the public , and i never believed in the full moon crap, until I experienced it. At first I thought ok whateve it was a fluke. But iI have worked with taking care of people for 7 years now and there is a difference. I cant explain it and i am going to start keeping a journal. People i take care of everyday who are seminormal , change , they are more emotional and do things youd never think they would do . So now I am a believer in the full moon (crap)

130 Elsa Ignelzi { 10.26.12 at 12:44 am }

I have worked for the public,for 45 yrs from various different avenues such as telephone company, electric company, State Unemployment office, Law Firm, Advertising Agencies, Real Estate, investment Banking & for the pass 12 yrs in Law Enforcement. I owned SPA Salon for 4 yrs & When a full moon is near it’s definitely effected by co-workers, bosses, & not too stabled people, as it is near. but “ON THE NIGHT OF THE FULL MOON” it brings out the real pychotic mental –at times you don’t realize their stories are NOT true, but illusions of their imagination, but afterwards you learn that their complaints never occurred, they come out of their normalcy & either violence or an incredible desperation moodiness occurs in their mind. I have seen this in all people from extreme professionals to the homeless. Just today i spend all day counseling my sister with her boyfriend who has changed with his personality from somewhat normal to him becoming almost evil. She’s rather a brave person but his actions are to the extreme. She mentioned he gets like this ever full month. But this October has been the worst…I think it’s a combination of a full moon & a source of powerful energy & the beginning of a transit we are expecting for October, November & December.

131 Vixin { 09.30.12 at 7:16 pm }

This is now the second time that on the day of the full moon i completely go physically and mentally out of wack. Both times i was at work, it happened today and i had to leave sick cause i get dizzy when i bend over, bad headache, mood swings, cry, weak feeling, and my equilibrium is off. The time before, i wouldnt even talk to anyone and would have a bad headache and severely depressed. cant seem to figure it out but corelated it to happening only on the day of the full moon.

132 Cherie { 09.27.12 at 2:42 pm }

I personally know for a fact I get completely depressed and hopless. I get angry and feel like my would if falling apart the week before the full moon. When the full moon comes I feel pieceful and ok again I seriously am not a mental patient of any kind. Normal working mother but It is so bad I cry and eveyrthing I never cry. I am a firm believer beacuse I will be sad and think god what is wrong why do I feel this way then later I will look in the sky the amlost full moon … its real!

133 melissa { 08.30.12 at 6:52 pm }

Iwork on an acute mental health.ward. This has been the craziest week ever, with patients calling the police on the nurses and doctors, swallowing smuggled in razor.blades, and ordering $1000 worth of pizza. I am dreading going in to work tomorrow because of the blue moon

134 S. Hembree { 08.16.12 at 6:48 pm }

I think that if you really look for anger. The new moon is what brings that. My mother and I have been talking about that for years. She was the one that told me about this. Today.. she called me and said.. “Well, Have you felt like killing anyone today?”

Instantly I said.. Oh my gosh that explains it. We are in the new moon. When she said, “Have you felt like killing anyone today”. She ment was there impatience and anger. This comes from a woman that is now in her 70’s and I am in my 50’s. This woman didnt graduate school. Her last year I think was the 9th grade. But she got her GED when she turned 40. Everyone expects the full moon to do something. I think for a true study of this. I think there has to be certain people who observe just what is happening around them during the moons. Like others have told. However.. there is so much to take into though. If a person has something wrong with their body, their age, how many people live where they are, do they live in a higher or lower elivation? For us, the new moon brings anger. If you take in everything. I think that we all will see that the moon affects us. And I have to agree that it could be that we are made up mostly of water. However.. I feel that your surroundings affects the outcome.

135 Andreya { 08.01.12 at 5:03 pm }

Completely agree that there is a build up leading to the full moon between me and my b/friend. Everytime we have had a fight, its been around the full moon, after its been, we both go back to being nice to each other. I have decided its best to stay away from each other around that time (2 days before ), its the best thing to do because i become so negative emotionally tiring and irritating. I wish there was some sort of cure, cos it has ruined thingsfor me over the past few years, if u suffer from mental illness it’s even worse!

136 Jaime McLeod { 07.30.12 at 2:25 pm }

Douglas DeGraw – I have no position on whether the Moon brings out the “crazies” or not, but your reasoning is incorrect. The Moon’s phas does affect its gravitational pull on us, because that pull can be coming from the same side as the Sun’s pull (New Moon), the opposite site from the Sun’s pull (Full Moon), or perpendicular to the Sun’s pull (Quarter Moons). When the Moon is lined up with the Sun – whether on the same side of the Earth or the opposite side – it’s pull combines with that of the Sun to create stronger tides. When it is in a Quarter phase, the two forces cancel each other out somewhat.

137 charli { 07.28.12 at 8:45 pm }

I have been all over the web searching for connection of the full moon cycle to those “diagnosed w/ mental illness. My grown daughter has schizophrenia/bi-polar, is on horrible meds. Well, for the past few years I have noted and marked the times when her thought patterns, off balanced behavior, outbursts, crazy thoughts, depression, anxiety became severe, very severe. I mentioned years, this is the truth as I have kept records of this.
So called “professional mental health practitioners won’t even consider this occurrence, would prefer to up the dose of the terrible haldol, etc.
If there is anyone that can offer help,please help…….thank you

138 Douglas DeGraw { 07.27.12 at 11:54 pm }

Folks, I know it may be hard, but let’s think logically for a second …
If, as the theory stated in the article proposed, the “crazies” are brought about by the gravitational influence of the moon, it wouldn’t matter if it was full, quarter, gibbous or new – it is and always will be the same size and extert the same gravitational influence every night regardless of how it’s lit.

139 Immamoonyou { 07.04.12 at 11:38 am }

During a full moon my cousins and I eat way too much!!! Last night we ate my entire kitchen of food and we still were hungry! We even made Macaroni at 12am and we found freezies and ate them all up! We never knew it was a full moon……but now…… It all makes sense.

140 Toby { 06.29.12 at 2:07 pm }

I never noticed it until my cousin brought it up, but my entire family goes nuts on a full moon, specifically one side. we become much more prone to doing crazy activities like staying up until the very early hours in the morning even if we have work in the morning and it seems like that is the only time that i end up drinking, massive quantities, and i dont even like alcohol all that much. we also end up running through corn fields and become very irritable easily, and im usually one of the most easy-going guys. theres just too many coincidences that happen to me for it not to be true

141 anonymoustoo { 06.03.12 at 3:39 pm }

Wow, so glad I googled this. Yesterday, I was a wreck. Crying for no reason, strong emotions…etc. Then I saw it was almost a full moon at night.

142 Tricia { 06.03.12 at 6:14 am }

I am a firm believer of the full moon making things out of wack. All of my friends agree with me. We discuss it alot, especially when we see the beginning of a full moon. Emotions, tempers, and even mind sets change in what seems like, a negative way.

143 B Webster { 05.07.12 at 5:49 pm }

I do not have to see there is a full moon. I become very irritated and easily angered during full moon. Then I look at the calender because I know something not right and it is a full moon.

144 Lu { 05.07.12 at 8:18 am }

When I was a teen at a juvenile facility a counselor mentioned to me how people’s attitudes were bad during full moons. I discounted him at first but after a few months, noticed that there was truth to this. Now that I’m married I’m once again witness to behavior during a long period of time: my wife’s and my own. And yes, we both get very moody and quick to fight. It makes no sense, because I can walk around in public and be agitated at people I do not know. :) Studies by researchers may prove inconclusive, but that’s because maybe they rely on statistics alone and not observation and interviews. As a researcher I know that anything can be proven or disproven. :)

145 sarah { 05.06.12 at 5:18 am }

I do beleive that the full moon affects me,.. my mood is awful, i become very irrational, i cry,.. i look out thinking is that full moon there, and yes there it is, i dread the next one…

146 taylor { 05.04.12 at 10:13 pm }

my twin started saying random stuff and she don’t remember any of it, tonight is a full moon

147 sharon { 05.04.12 at 8:21 pm }

well a mosquito on your arm will of course excert more gravitational pull as it is in one area? where as the 60% of water in
the human body is made up of particles (molecules)
spread over whole body so would that not make for a more equal pull ? and harder too detect ?

148 Dimuthu { 05.04.12 at 12:12 pm }

I am 30 years old and my wife is also 30. My wife act abnormal and she tend to remind all past incidents that are worse to her around full moon days. She try to always fight with me on this time period.

149 Trey { 04.08.12 at 9:52 pm }

YES ! ! The moon dose affect me , im 33 and about 3 yrs. ago i had a spell where i was overwhelmed by random out of the ordinary thoughts, i suddenly became interested in stuff i had never really cared about before, i soon found out that we was haveing a blue moon( 2nd full moon in the same month) after that i started watching moon phases and reading the farmers almanac, i even started journaling , trying to find some kind of pattern between the moon and my behavior, and moods. I cant say that i have any concrete proof that we are affected by the moon, but deep down inside, i do belive that the answer is yes, and after all here i am years later looking at websites like this one.

150 Cleo Setori { 03.27.12 at 6:09 pm }

I go crazy on a full moon and i dont remember anything when i wake up. My friends say I do things that I would never do and secrets slip out, so they wont tell me anything anymore.
Am I crazy?! Please help me!!!

151 Ann Marie { 03.16.12 at 8:26 am }

Hi, I am 13 years old, during a full moon I can’t sleep. I try and try but I just can’t fall a sleep. I don’t know what to do, I have to get up early and go to school. One day during a full moon I only had 3 hours of sleep and was super tired in the morning. This will happen until for about a couple of days. And sometime I will be super mad or sad.

Am I crazy??

Please help. If u have any suggestions please email me. Afeyen11@gmail.com

152 sleepless { 03.12.12 at 3:23 am }

I too sleep less during a full moon. I’m 33 and googled this question to find this post. It sounds outlandish, but it’s true! I cannot sleep during a full moon and a couple days after. I’ve shared this theory with others and they’ve agreed, according to their own sleep patterns. Didn’t know about others psychosis though. Fun to watch and see. Thanks

153 John sturman { 03.10.12 at 2:23 pm }

I also cannot sleep during a full moon even though I am tird I cannot fall into a deep sleep it’s a pain when you got to be up at 5 am for work. Looks common after reading these post may be I am not a wolf lol

154 K Bear { 03.08.12 at 10:49 pm }

My students are wild when there is a full moon.

155 Reza { 03.07.12 at 5:42 pm }

I am affected by a full moon — have trouble sleeping
I notice this even if I have not noticed it is a full moon until I after I am affected by it

156 kaytee411 { 02.25.12 at 3:14 am }

For years I worked at our local court house and every single time there is a full moon there are more domestic violence problems, DWI’s, assaults, disputes, protection orders (restraining orders) and all kinds of problems.

Personally it does affect me as well. When there is a full moon I struggle to fall asleep and stay asleep. For some reason it is almost impossible for me to sleep while there is a full moon and it seems to affect me each and every month.

157 Linda { 02.24.12 at 3:50 pm }

I am 56 years old. All my life, as far back as I can remember, I cannot sleep during a full moon. No I don’t grow hair and teeth and howl at the moon, or fly on a broom or bite the necks of others. I am a very easy-going, loving mother and wife. However, I do have high blood pressure and insomnia can make it significantly worse. THAT’s what worries me. I’m not crazy……..am I?

158 Caroline { 02.07.12 at 6:27 pm }

I have no belief system as such regarding the full moon but i KNOW it effects me but have only noticed the connection between my bad moods and ratty behaviour in the last year, its always on a full moon and im never the one who realises, its always someone else who says “its a full moon” i actually get and i confess myself totally unreasonable and i laugh at myself as i can see i am doing it but cant stop!

159 Jacob { 02.07.12 at 1:34 am }

I have worked in homeless shelters for years and yes, the full moon has an effect on people. There are more instances of mental health outbursts, drug and alcohol use and domestic or other violence during the full moon (three days before, during and after). I don’t track the lunar cycles but when it starts to get really crazy I check my calender and 9 times out of 10 it is during the period of a full moon.

160 andrew hoover { 02.06.12 at 7:35 pm }

Hellow my name is andrew I’m only 13 and there was at least 3 fights at my school and that night it was a full moon then my dog started yaping in the middle of the nigh out the window with out nothing to bark at.now that I read this I am more prepared for a full moon

161 Elizabeth { 01.08.12 at 2:48 am }

I’m a geriatric nurse, and my patients definetly act different for three days prior to, day of and three days after a full moon

162 Ashley { 12.21.11 at 8:09 pm }

I have to agree with the fact that the full moon does affect people. My mother and my grandmother for example, will start acting over emotional or more irritable round the full moon. and I usually don’t realize it until i look at a calendar. Another example is me and my boyfriend. he’ll be grumpy and will get mad too easily and I’m just plain overemotional(which is only an intensified form of my already overemotional self),which will cause us to start fighting more. again, we wont notice its close to a full moon until seeing a calender.

163 huherrwhat { 11.23.11 at 3:52 am }

There are a group of scientists that believe they have disproved the theory of evolution based on a discovering a microorganism that doesn’t fit in with scientific models of evolution.

David Attenborough (s?) amusingly pointed out in relation to the above that the lack of evidence of one thing does not prove, or disprove another… in this case creationism.

There are scientists who believe in all kinds of gods. There are god believers that don’t believe in global warming.

The full moon almost certainly seems to have some affect on some human behavior, whether it’s actually caused by a scientific phenomenon seems less important than the fact that people are affected by it. …Parties, emotions, menstrual cycles….. In fact, debating it, and doing studies on it is actually human behavior caused by the moons phases, haha.

Maybe scientists should do studies to see if Xmas is real, or birthdays, or New Years eve… these too have an effect on people, but scientists seem less bothered by these phenomena.

Just putting out a different and more moderate take on the debate.

164 steve hudson { 11.14.11 at 6:04 pm }

I drove taxis for 9 years and allways thought people were more placid during full moons

but once I picked a nurse up from a major hospital who said she was glad to finish work as it was a full moon ( she pointed it out in the sky ) and she said it would be mayhem in the hospital ater because of the full moon.

The moon was a thin crescent in the western sky..( new moon about 2 days old) I think most people in big cities dont know what a full moon is really

165 Anthony { 10.28.11 at 8:42 pm }

Kath, maybe you should check if he’s cheating on you during those full moons, or he could possibly be suffering from “manopause” (real thing). It’s not the moon.

166 Kath { 09.13.11 at 11:10 pm }

Have been married to my hubby for 8 years. Every full moon turns into a aggresive moody ….. (you get the picture) some worse than others. Bad ones mean throwing things and behaving really differently. Its like someone switches a switch and he changes. A lovely hubby and full moon hits and for a day or two look out. Totally changes, full moon over and hes back to his lovely self. This full moon was a bad one and had major mood swing and ended up going psyco. A few days later says I feel better now don’t know what was wrong with me!!!! Defentily something in the moon as have watched this behaviour and always around the full moon and at no other time.

167 Jaime McLeod { 06.15.11 at 8:38 am }

Hi Ronnie,
The purpose on this article is to raise the question and prompt discussion, not to issue some edict one way or the other. There have been numerous studies done on this issue, published in a variety of trusted scientific journals. Of course, scientific knowledge is always evolving. Just because one study (or two, or ten) debunks something doesn’t mean the people who conducted the study have all of the information, or have accounted for all of the variables. Another study, down the line, may come up with a different result (and this often does happen – it’s how our knowledge of the world increases). Just because you don’t like the results of the studies I cited here is no reason to make accusations of dishonesty or laziness. Disagreeing is fine – casting aspersions on someone’s credibility, however, is rude.

168 Ronnie { 06.15.11 at 12:06 am }

What studies have been debunked? Fire whoever did your research. ever heard of the full moon ion effect? It has less to do with the water and more to do with the poles (magnetism) this is a true scientifical study. Please read more and search harder before you make such an article, if I didn’t know any better I might have believed you.

169 Carol { 06.13.11 at 3:21 pm }

I am 67 years old. For as long as I can remember, I have not been able to sleep when there is a full moon. It isn’t because of the light. It happens whether it is clear, cloudy, raining or snowing and the moon isn’t even visable. Most of the time I don’t even realize that the moon is full until I check the calendar the next day.

170 ML Millan { 06.11.11 at 11:06 pm }

I am definately affected by a full moon – have trouble sleeping
and am more easily irritated. I notice this even if I have not noticed
it is a full moon until I after I am affected by it. I had not thought of
the fact that the moon affects water (tides) and the body is 60% water – interesting point.

171 June { 06.07.11 at 7:49 pm }

I am surprised the article didn’t mention women’s menstrual cycles, which are absolutely influenced by the moon. The number of days in a typical menstraul cycle (28) is even the same as the moon’s cycle. Isn’t that proof that the moon impacts human behavior?

172 rose { 05.28.11 at 11:59 am }

you betcha people and animals act differently on the full and new moon. I know doctors that won’t do surgery on the full moon as patients seem to bleed more. I can tell by way people drive, calls at work, I need to check calendar. The whole week leading up to full moon gets odder and odder and odder until it hits; SOME things are bigger than science

173 Joan { 05.25.11 at 7:47 pm }

At age 69 I have a lot of observational years to my credit. I don’t even have to see a full moon to know when it’s full. Some things just defy what some folks define as rational. If the moon can affect the tides….why not people, too?

174 sharon fischer { 05.19.11 at 3:03 pm }

I have worked with the public for twenty years also. I have worked in a CSU unit in central Florida, and when the full moone, man did we get hit. People coming in the back door with a Baker’s Act, and others coming in the front door to check themselves in voluntary. I also worked with people with disabilites (mental & physical), and same here. We would say “full moon, three days coming, one day here and three days leaving”. It would seem that one full week involving the moon is more than enough. However, I do agree that the moon would affect us humans as we are 60% water, and as above, if the tides in the oceans are affected than us mere humans would be too!

175 j.jiggles { 05.19.11 at 1:16 pm }

I notice I grow hair on my arms and face and have been told I howl at the moon. I’m not sure I believe this, so, next full moon, I’m going to have someone video tape all my movements.

176 Joni { 05.19.11 at 1:07 pm }

I used to work at juvenile hall and we ALWAYS had lots of kids in when it was full moon – more so than normal, and they acted out more.

177 Jan Newman { 05.19.11 at 1:00 pm }

I do notice a change in people with a full moon and I also do all my planting to the moon when I follow this good things happen like good plants

178 Ali { 05.19.11 at 11:18 am }

I work in a long-term care centre for the mentally disfunctioning elderly for over 20 yrs and I DO notice a difference in the behaviors of the residents. There is definitely more aggression and a long sleepless night for some.

179 Laurel B { 05.19.11 at 10:25 am }

I agree with the article, no real effect on behavior. I think it is a primal sight thing. Do blind persons or animals behave more erratically during a full moon as well? The thing I enjoy the most during a clear full moon night is to go out fishing in our boat. I have encountered no unusual behavior from the fish.

180 Liza { 05.19.11 at 9:54 am }

I can’t sleep when there is a full moon, not for days. I get so tired during the full moon phase. I didn’t sleep last night, tried very hard but NOPE.

181 N. Ison { 05.19.11 at 7:53 am }

I’ve never worked in the medical field but I have worked with the public the last 20 years, the first 10 at a small town grocery store and the last 10 at our small county newspaper and I have found that the most bizarre customers or requests are definitely during a full moon or even as it’s approaching. Why wouldn’t it affect us? It controls huge ocean tides, etc.

182 J. Ward { 05.19.11 at 4:21 am }

71 years old, ex-police officer. Most major police departments have extra duty poistions called the “full moon squad” to serve all night long on nights of the full moon. Their blotters are filled with wierd crimes that occur on these nights.

183 Jerry { 05.18.11 at 8:21 pm }

I agree with Meg & BK. I have 20+ years in the EMS field & I can assure you that auto accidents were more severe, but also people were more easily irritated. We had more shootings & stabbings during the full moon phase. Also the EMS calls in general were more frequent.

184 Janie { 05.18.11 at 7:23 pm }

I just realized during the full moon each month is when I get restless and go through nights with little to no sleep…. thanks for the post!

185 Christpher M. Stevens { 05.18.11 at 3:50 pm }

I used to work for a Medical Company In Maine. We received a large contract through Maine Health Care Shared Services selling O.T.C ( over the counter) drugs. Every month the D.O.N ( director of nursing) would always look at her calender when ordering. She always ordered 2 more cases of Adult Diapers during the full moon. When I asked why, she said that the Alzeimers ward Always went through more during a full Moon. Go Figure!

186 Ron Demlow { 05.18.11 at 2:26 pm }

I firmly believe the moon phases have an effect on humans! I’m 64 years old and have been told this as far back as I can remember. I also believe that comets and other galactic phenomena have effects on us.People seem to be at their craziest when comets and meteor showers occur! I know this sounds wacky,but it is true.

187 Meg& B. K { 05.18.11 at 11:59 am }

Living on a farm we’ve had more babies born during these times & also with changes in pressure, for example, A storm rolling through…
Thanks. BK

188 Meg& B. K { 05.18.11 at 11:56 am }

Hi I can honestly say that for the most part I believe it the moons phases & whether its closer or farther away from us, truly affects us.
Being in the medical field 20 + yrs, I have always seen the people I’ve been taking care of get more emotional, upset, stay up, sleepless & seen a total change of patterned behavior. including a build up to the full moon..Then boom there back to normal. I agree if it effects the oceans, tides & water & such, it most certainly would affect us too.

189 M.Weaver { 05.17.11 at 4:34 pm }

I’m 79 years old and about 20 years ago I was driving south toward Denver with tears rolling down my cheeks and missing my grown-up children like crazy. When I took a road heading east, I came face to face with a huge full moon. Since that time, those lonesome feelings for my children come with the full moon – as yesterday. I didn’t know it was full moon until it was mentioned on a TV program. Supposedly, positive ions are pushed closer to the earth by the full moon. ?????? All I know is that if affects me.